Notices
General Trip Planning Other Holiday Planning.

Old 26 Jan 20, 09:46 PM  
Link to this Post
katiec68
Imagineer

katiec68's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
A Glasgow hotel/B&B

Hi all

Any recommendations for one night in Glasgow?

Ill probably be on my own for the Thursday night.

We are going to a wedding in Gretna Green and are meeting our friends there on the Friday afternoon.

I was thinking of going up the day before to meet my godmother who lives in Glasgow and and old family friend who lives near Dumfries.

DH will meet me in GG as its more leave for him

Thanks all x x
katiec68 is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Jan 20, 11:12 PM  
Link to this Post
hollypop
Very Serious Dibber

Depending on your budget, the Dakota, Z Hotel, Moxy, and Citizen M are all nice and central.
hollypop is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Jan 20, 02:22 AM  
Link to this Post
MinniMouse
VIP Dibber

MinniMouse's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Are you driving? A lot of hotels in Glasgow centre don’t have car parking. Hilton doubletree has a public car park underneath and we’ve always found a space. There’s also a car park next door I’m sure. Nice hotel, and central for the shops. Nicest hotel we stayed in has to be the Dakota. Beatiful hotel but no parking. We had to park a few blocks away and walk with our cases.
MinniMouse is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Feb 20, 09:51 AM  
Link to this Post
sparklegirl
VIP Dibber

There are a couple of hotels at Hamilton just off M74 such as a Premier Inn or Hampton. Only 25 mins from Glasgow and then an hour or so from Dumfries. They are in opposite directions mind you so I would suggest choosing one or other to stay overnight, probably Dumfries as its closer to Gretna. There are a few nice hotels there or at Lockerbie. Thats only really 20-30 mins from Gretna where Glasgow can be 90-120mins depending on traffic.
sparklegirl is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Feb 20, 09:15 PM  
Link to this Post
Team Jeans
Imagineer

Depends where your Godmother stays, but you can often pick up deals for DBB for some nice hotels, especially midweek. Even if your Godmother isn't staying the dinner part may be worthwhile. Devonshire Gardens, (.hotel duvin) often runs deals on Itison, Groupon, 5pm etc.
Old 22 Feb 20, 10:29 PM  
Link to this Post
Disney_time
Imagineer

Disney_time's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 3
Will you be driving or using public transport?

Also what part of the city will you be visiting?
Old 23 Feb 20, 08:42 AM  
Link to this Post
katiec68
Imagineer

katiec68's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Mobile

Hi all

I'll be coming up by train... Probably.
It's a long drive from Kent 🙄
my godmother lives in Fintry.

I'll probably want to stay fairly central as I've got to get to Sanquhar then Gretna on the Friday xx
katiec68 is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Feb 20, 10:02 AM  
Link to this Post
sparklegirl
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by katiec68 View Post
Hi all

I'll probably want to stay fairly central as I've got to get to Sanquhar then Gretna on the Friday xx
If your godmother is meeting you in town then somewhere in city centre will be good otherwise Fintry is 20 or so miles away in Stirlingshire. To get to sanquhar by train it will take almost three hours with a change somewhere most likely Carlisle.i am not certain that what you want to do is achievable easily but that will depend on your timing etc especially on the Friday for the wedding. At the moment the Sanquhar line has a replacement bus service so it’s taking longer. To go from there to Gretna is going to be around 90 mins. That’s 5 hours of traveling on the Friday alone using public transport.

Glasgow city centre has tons of good hotels, there is Grand Central which is right at station and also a Radisson that’s just next to it for ease.

Good luck
sparklegirl is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Feb 20, 10:04 AM  
Link to this Post
Lell
Imagineer

Lell's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by katiec68 View Post
Hi all

Not sure when you are travelling but are you aware the trains from Glasgow to Sanquhar are not running until mid March due to a landslide. I believe there is a replacement bus service.
DLP (Disney Explorers) Sep 2004, DLP (Sequoia Lodge) Sep 2007, Disney CSR/Universal RPR Oct 2010, Disney AKL Oct 2012, Doubletree by Hilton at Seaworld Oct 2014, West Coast Road Trip 2017, Florida Road Trip 2018, West Coast Road Trip 2019, East Coast/Canada Road trip 2022, National Parks Road Trip 2023
Lell is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Feb 20, 10:40 AM  
Link to this Post
Disney_time
Imagineer

Disney_time's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 3
Jings, I thought you were going to say Glasgow Southside or something easy. Fintry would be a challenge by public transport from Glasgow, but perhaps easier from Stirling or Falkirk, unless your godmother is going to come and meet you somewhere in Glasgow. There's a premier Inn in Queen Street, near the station and many others as suggested above.

Have a look at Traveline Scotland website for transport ideas.