Notices

View Poll Results: Should we keep the BBC Licence?
Yes , keep it 111 23.42%
No , scrap it 363 76.58%
Voters: 474. You may not vote on this poll

Old 5 Feb 20, 03:00 PM  
Link to this Post
SussexFamily
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Pumpkin Pie View Post
Don’t you know the BBC are never wrong?
Do they 'transmit' subliminal messages to that effect?
SussexFamily is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Feb 20, 03:32 PM  
Link to this Post
tspill
Imagineer

Originally Posted by SussexFamily View Post
... and the tv executives huge salaries too... which we ultimately fund.
Like everything in business - market forces set the salaries. Same as for you and me. Works this way the world over in every job. Why should the BBC be any different?

Edited at 03:54 PM.
tspill is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Feb 20, 03:33 PM  
Link to this Post
SussexFamily
Imagineer

Originally Posted by tspill View Post
Like everything business - market forces set the salaries. Same as for you and me. Works this way the world over in every job. Why should the BBC be any different?
...because we fund it? Pay them what they want if we didn't fund them as far as Im concerned.
SussexFamily is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Feb 20, 03:35 PM  
Link to this Post
tspill
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Claudette View Post
I have in the past complained to the BBC about their impartiality and got the same pithy response "no we aren't".
I think certain programmes can have a bias, but that is balanced out across other programming. So Overall, yes I do think it is generally impartial. But I see what watching say one programme, it can be seen as impartial.
But the regulator has a close eye on this so I think the checks and balances are there.

Edited at 03:40 PM.
tspill is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Feb 20, 03:35 PM  
Link to this Post
Ivegottadream
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Keep it. It's totally worth it to have s couple of channels without ads, not to mention the radio.
Also their children's TV is mainly good quality, Mr tumble is so important for children who are a little bit different. And children's programming without advertisements is worth its weight in gold.
Ivegottadream is online now Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Feb 20, 03:39 PM  
Link to this Post
tspill
Imagineer

Originally Posted by SussexFamily View Post
...because we fund it? Pay them what they want if we didn't fund them as far as Im concerned.
The funding aspect is irrelevant as regards salaries. Salaries are set based on market like every other business on the planet. How it is funded doesnt come into it.
Same for all the MPs, civil servants, army, navy, doctors, nurses etc, etc. that are paid via our taxes, national insurance, VED etc.

Edited at 03:41 PM.
Old 5 Feb 20, 03:42 PM  
Link to this Post
tracy99
Imagineer

Scrap it!
The only time I watch BBC is when the apprentice is on.
Never watch it any other time.
Tracy x
Old 5 Feb 20, 03:47 PM  
Link to this Post
shack69
Imagineer

I voted keep as for me if we lose the BBC and all the other services they fund not only radio , web, local tv , S4c etc . Having the BBC sets the standard for the others. Also personally I find the number of Paid for services to be increasing daily and I'd rather have the BBC.
I do think that any company broadcasting or streaming to the UK consumer should have to pay a percentage of their revenue to the BBC to reduce our license fees. This would mean those who can afford to/ want to pay will help subsidise those who can't.
shack69 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Feb 20, 03:52 PM  
Link to this Post
Pumpkin Pie
Imagineer

Originally Posted by shack69 View Post
I voted keep as for me if we lose the BBC and all the other services they fund not only radio , web, local tv , S4c etc . Having the BBC sets the standard for the others. Also personally I find the number of Paid for services to be increasing daily and I'd rather have the BBC.
I do think that any company broadcasting or streaming to the UK consumer should have to pay a percentage of their revenue to the BBC to reduce our license fees. This would mean those who can afford to/ want to pay will help subsidise those who can't.
I’m guessing that Netflix etc. who stream some BBC programs already pay for that - unless anyone knows otherwise?
Pumpkin Pie is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Feb 20, 04:24 PM  
Link to this Post
SussexFamily
Imagineer

Approaching 150 votes and still hovering around a 70/30 split.