Notices

View Poll Results: Were N Somerset Councillors correct or incorrect in making this decision?
Yes - the decision was the correct one 8 24.24%
No - the decision was incorrect 25 75.76%
Voters: 33. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11 Feb 20, 05:10 PM  
Link to this Post
BucksBugsy
All round good bloke

Originally Posted by Moorlandman View Post
The decision will be overturned and will cost local tax payers millions in legal costs
They could divert HS2 so it stops at Bristol airport !

Edited at 05:11 PM.
BucksBugsy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Feb 20, 05:15 PM  
Link to this Post
SussexFamily
Imagineer

Originally Posted by BerkshireBugsy View Post
They could divert HS2 so it stops at Bristol airport !
Not at those prices!
SussexFamily is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Feb 20, 05:18 PM  
Link to this Post
BucksBugsy
All round good bloke

Mobile

Originally Posted by SussexFamily View Post
Not at those prices!
The locals near us like nothing better than a moan about HS2.
Old 11 Feb 20, 05:19 PM  
Link to this Post
SussexFamily
Imagineer

The locals near us like nothing better than a moan about HS2.
NIMBYs - too many of them about!
SussexFamily is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Feb 20, 05:22 PM  
Link to this Post
BucksBugsy
All round good bloke

Mobile

NIMBYs - too many of them about!
The trouble is that most of them are NIMBYS because they dont see any benefit to the area it is proposed to cut through.

And th4n I shoot them down with discussions about signalling capacity ...and their eyes glaze over !

Anyway back to Brizzle Airport
Old 11 Feb 20, 05:26 PM  
Link to this Post
SussexFamily
Imagineer

The trouble is that most of them are NIMBYS because they dont see any benefit to the area it is proposed to cut through.

And th4n I shoot them down with discussions about signalling capacity ...and their eyes glaze over !

Anyway back to Brizzle Airport
Signalling capacity... yes

If provincial airports can expand then surely it can take traffic away from main hubs?
Old 11 Feb 20, 05:29 PM  
Link to this Post
BucksBugsy
All round good bloke

Signalling capacity... yes

If provincial airports can expand then surely it can take traffic away from main hubs?
The problem with that view (as I see it) is that passengers would rather fly direct than fly from a regional airport to a hub. From memory that was the justification of the A380 which of course had a short lived history.

Edited at 05:32 PM.
BucksBugsy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Feb 20, 06:50 PM  
Link to this Post
SussexFamily
Imagineer

The problem with that view (as I see it) is that passengers would rather fly direct than fly from a regional airport to a hub. From memory that was the justification of the A380 which of course had a short lived history.
Coupled with the fact there isn’t a customer base as demonstrated with Continental run to Newark . People may choose to go indirect if it’s a local airport too.
Old 11 Feb 20, 09:26 PM  
Link to this Post
apollo163
Imagineer

I would love a better airport in the southwest but I dont feel Bristol is the answer.

I would prefer an airport with a longer runway so the bigger planes (excluding A380 and 747) could land there. If you could have a Newquay length runway at exeter airport that would be good the transport links are already mostly in place you would just need to sort m5 out between Bristol and weston-super-mare.

The other option would be to give more incentives to somewhere like Birmingham or east midlands that already have all the infrastructure in place.
2001 private villa (poinciana blvd)
2006 villa formosa gardens

Edited at 07:55 AM.
apollo163 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Feb 20, 07:23 AM  
Link to this Post
SussexFamily
Imagineer

Originally Posted by apollo163 View Post
I would love a better airport in the southwest but I dont feel Bristol is the answer.

I would prefer an airport with a longer runway so the bigger planes (excluding A380 and 747) could land there. If you could have a Newquay length runway at exeter airport that would be good the transport links are already mostly in place you would just need to sort m5 out between Bristol and weston-super-mare.

The other option would be to give more incentives to somewhere like Birmingham or east midlands that already have all the infrastructure in place.
NEWQUAY benefitted from taking on the RAF St Mawgan runway but even there the services could not be maintained. (NEWQUAY-Plymouth-Gatwick). I know charter flights use it in the summer though. Agreed on M5 . As BB stated earlier it’s chicken and egg scenario. I’m not sure if Exeter could be extended either. Birmingham of midlands use would be similar to using any London airports too.

Edited at 08:02 AM.