Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 26 May 20, 08:55 PM  
Link to this Post
smithlane
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by penguin19 View Post
I'm a Bedfordshire person, so I know that a bit better than Hertfordshire, although I am very close to Harpdenden and StAlbans which are both beautiful - although they are pricey!

I spose it depends how close you want to be to train stations - a small drive where you can park? Walking disnatce ? Or will your husband be dropped off?

Bedfordshire has some lovely villages

One of my best friends is a music teacher at Redborne Upper - he's always said it's a great school - but that's about all the knowledge I have.

I live in Dunstable - we love where we live but not sure it's what you'd want - with Your budget you'd get a lovely house here but also in the great villages we have. I commute to London and drive to Stanmore tube station.

Woburn may be too far out for you (in terms of getting to Welyn) but that's one of my favourite places. You have lots of options.

I spose I'm giving the viewpoint of the other side of Beds and Herts compared to others on here (by other side I mean geographically!)
So sorry I didn’t see your post from yesterday!
We certainly won’t rule out Bedfordshire as it looks like we can get more for our money in a lot of places. Will check out your recommendations, thank you

IG - alicialanesmith
smithlane is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 May 20, 08:57 PM  
Link to this Post
smithlane
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by gl20 View Post
I grew up in Welwyn so know the area well. Lots of friends still there. I see Oaklands mentioned above and that's where I bought my first property. Nice area and good connections although it's a drive to the nearest stations if the London connection is important.

You could also consider Digswell which has Welwyn North station right in it for the train to WGC and onto London and near your OH's golf course (I expect it's the one my step-father was a member of). The only drawback with Digswell is it may fall short on your shops criteria. It has a pub but not sure what it's like these days. (for pure amusement - google 'Digswell Gone with the Wind house' for a rather infamous property there).

An other option would be Old Welwyn. Even closer to the A1 than Oaklands or Digswell, best of the 3 for shops and pubs but, like Oaklands, it would be a (2 mile) car drive to the station if needed
OH would love to be around Welwyn (for obvious reasons &#128514 I just think it might be out of our price range for what we’re looking for. I’ll certainly look around though, thank you

IG - alicialanesmith
smithlane is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 May 20, 09:01 PM  
Link to this Post
smithlane
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by slow.jo View Post
We live in Watton at Stone, between Stevenage and Hertford. It's a village, but has a train station with a route into London (and a bus route). We have a supermarket, butcher, hairdresser, cafe, post office, Chinese, and two pubs. Loads of walking areas right here too. We love it and I don't think we'll ever move. We're also in an excellent school district, and all the local schools have 6th forms. Or there's North Herts college in Stevenage or Oaklands college in Welwyn Garden City. We have new builds here too!
Jo x
I just showed OH this thread and he says we've been to Watton at Stone a few Christmas’s ago when he had an emergency dental appointment on Xmas eve. Our dog was only a pup at the time so I had to walk him around the village so he wasn’t stuck in the car, I remember it being lovely!

IG - alicialanesmith