Notices
Car Hire & Transportation Discuss the best way of getting around Florida.

Old 20 Apr 20, 04:41 PM  
Link to this Post
SuckingDiesel
Being a bit Goofy

Mobile

Originally Posted by mick View Post
Not a link as such but something I've saved in Word as I've posted it a few times on here over the years. But please bear in mind that there's other equally valid supporters of hotels and we're not typical Dibbers now by a long way but here you go

Why villa over hotel?

Apologies for a list but as I’ve responded to this question a few times it’s a bit easier for me to summarise.

Would like to clarify this list though by saying that we’re both 70+ and have visited over 35 times but haven’t been to a park for many years. Also there’s only two of us in a 4 bed villa. Our needs and holiday plans are highly unlikely to be typical of other Dibbers.

1. Park at your front door not a mile away.
2. Lots of space to spread out.
3. Own private pool within 20’ of lounge and use it any time of day.
4. Own spa to watch the sun rise and set.
5. Pop back inside any time for drinks – hot or cold.
6. Spare bedroom to store shopping.
7. Spare bedroom for family occasionally joining us (after notifying owner obviously).
8. Choice of bathrooms if one engaged – including one on the pool deck.
9. Eat meals and snacks whenever you like prepared in the full kitchen.
10. Listen to your own music without offending fellow guests and neighbours.
11. Watch TV in the lounge or bedroom (s).
12. Separate walk in shower in the master bathroom plus a large tub.
13. Ability to keep on top of the clothes washing.
14. The lanai at the villa we use allows shade and sunbathing easily.
15. Freedom of access without wondering if housekeeping are there or have been.

Mick
Thank you Mick, you are a star 😀
SuckingDiesel is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Apr 20, 04:45 PM  
Link to this Post
salmim
Imagineer

salmim's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Mobile

This is such a pleasant, nostalgic and uplifting thread.😊😊 Hope somebody else asks Mick a few questions! 😂
salmim is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Apr 20, 04:52 PM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Originally Posted by salmim View Post
This is such a pleasant, nostalgic and uplifting thread.😊😊 Hope somebody else asks Mick a few questions! 😂
Thank you. I'm avoiding most of the Covid related posts - some of them are not bringing out the best in people.

Despite a couple of serious illnesses each over the years causing cancellations we know that we are extremely lucky to have been so many times. Also a bit of good financial affairs management.

We both feel so sorry for families with young children who have saved for years and planned on going for the first time. Money can usually be recovered but not plans, dreams and memories.

Mick

Edited at 04:57 PM.
mick is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Apr 20, 05:47 PM  
Link to this Post
colin39
Imagineer

Mobile

The hardest part, is getting in the right side of the car. Lol
Old 20 Apr 20, 05:54 PM  
Link to this Post
cornishfrogboy
VIP Dibber

We didn’t drive on our first trip as quite frankly, I was very unsure about it. We found that it very severely restricted what we could do and what we could not.

I bit the bullet and gave it a go on our second trip. We absolutely loved the freedom it gave us, the ease of visiting restaurants, parks, then beaches, then the whole state, then various states, then the California Road trip. The world really does become your buttercup!

We have just had to cancel US trip no11.. but already have set up another one (fingers crossed). If I could not drive, then I would not go.

The only places I will not drive are Rome and the Bay of Naples (due to Scooters).

2005 onwards.. lots of times!

Index of all my Trip and Pretrip reports..https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...6#post15662196
cornishfrogboy is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Apr 20, 05:59 PM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Originally Posted by colin39 View Post
The hardest part, is getting in the right side of the car. Lol
The number of times we've walked back to the car after a shop or restaurant and I've said to Joan "Where are you going?"

Mick
Old 20 Apr 20, 06:04 PM  
Link to this Post
greekgranny
Imagineer

The number of times we've walked back to the car after a shop or restaurant and I've said to Joan "Where are you going?"

Mick
Your lucky you can remember where you put it. The number of times we have just parked, got out and then can't remember where we have put the perishing thing. Thankgoodness for beepers!
Old 20 Apr 20, 06:14 PM  
Link to this Post
lawe
VIP Dibber

lawe's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 2
Only been twice but as long as you follow the excellent guide (Some great tips Mick!) it will all fall into place and you will love within minutes.

As for the Villa, everything said on Mick's list was everything we wanted plus, for us at least, a place for our autistic sons to relax and unwind after full days out where they can be over stimulated and each of them getting their own room.

Don't get me wrong, I would love to stay on site, and may well do for one or two nights, but a villa you can relax without disturbing others, a pool that is yours and enjoying sunrise or sunsets with the ones you love by the pool is something that will always stay with you forever.

May 2012, August 2016 Lake Berkley Resort
June 2024 booked back to Lake Berkley
lawe is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Apr 20, 06:47 PM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Originally Posted by greekgranny View Post
Your lucky you can remember where you put it. The number of times we have just parked, got out and then can't remember where we have put the perishing thing. Thankgoodness for beepers!
GG

Reminds me of our first visit in 1990. One week at Fantasy World on 192 and second week at Indian Shores on the Gulf.

We visited a large mall on the coast and parked outside Macy's. Returned a couple of hours later and our car had gone Until we realised that Macy's had two entrances from the parking lot

Now whenever we visit a mall we say to each other "we came in through fragrances"

Mick
Old 20 Apr 20, 06:51 PM  
Link to this Post
greekgranny
Imagineer

GG

Reminds me of our first visit in 1990. One week at Fantasy World on 192 and second week at Indian Shores on the Gulf.

We visited a large mall on the coast and parked outside Macy's. Returned a couple of hours later and our car had gone Until we realised that Macy's had two entrances from the parking lot

Now whenever we visit a mall we say to each other "we came in through fragrances"

Mick
Yes, Florida Mall its handbags and shoes!