Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 25 May 20, 08:36 PM  
Link to this Post
smithlane
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by yogadeb View Post
OP meant to add also about Oakland’s in Welwyn lies” The northern star” pub and it is incredible...food wise it’s a very good pub and very popular with many locals and it’s walking distance from Oakland’s. Also you have Mardley heath which is a lovely woodland for walks and the links to A1m are awesome ( can actually hear the A1 through from a lot of the ardent you that close )
College wise in wgc which is up the road , there’s a good college .

I’d definatly look at Oakland’s it’s very sought after .
Great will add that to the list, lots to research now!

IG - alicialanesmith
smithlane is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 May 20, 08:42 PM  
Link to this Post
Dazed
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by smithlane View Post
Funny enough my mum grew up very close to Bushey in a place called Commonwood I think it was called. Might be pushing it budget wise but if we see something we like we have a little wiggle room. My DIY allergic OH wants a new build so he doesn’t have to lift a finger once moved in 😂
Chorleywood? Chorleywood is lovely. You won’t get the size of property you are looking for in Bushey or Chorleywood.
Dazed is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 May 20, 08:56 PM  
Link to this Post
smithlane
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by Dazed View Post
Chorleywood? Chorleywood is lovely. You won’t get the size of property you are looking for in Bushey or Chorleywood.
Im not sure I thought it was Commonwood but I’d have to check with her, I think near Sarratt as well? It was very nice round there and not surprised it would be out of our price range unfortunately

IG - alicialanesmith
smithlane is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 May 20, 08:57 PM  
Link to this Post
emmabanana
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by smithlane View Post
Thank you for your reply. I have seen a few houses in Biggleswade, is it a nice town?
What are the transport links like in Hertfordshire in general like bus services? Living in a London borough it’s something we take for granted. OH hates the traffic around here, he’s always moaning saying “if you want to drive 10 miles it takes 10 minutes in Hertfordshire but over 40 minutes to drive 5 miles round here!” He’s not wrong though 😂
Biggleswade is a nice town. I’m not sure there is much nightlife but I think there are quite a few nice pubs / restaurants there. Lots of people I work with live there and they all really like it. Sorry not sure about bus services I tend to drive everywhere!
He’s definitely not wrong about the traffic difference 😂
emmabanana is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 May 20, 08:58 PM  
Link to this Post
mskitty
Imagineer

Our best friends live in Ampthill. It ticks the boxes for you in terms of independent shops and close to a mainline station to London. Might be a bit far to Welwyn though but Milbrook Golf Course is down the road. Also not sure on house prices sorry. We love visiting there though and would recommend it.
mskitty is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 May 20, 08:59 PM  
Link to this Post
sueandco
Imagineer

sueandco's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 4
What about Hemel Hempstead, a four bed semi within walking distance of the train station (direct line to Euston) and the town centre is about £400k. It is close to the M25 and M1 with easy access to the A1. I currently live in Hemel so am happy to answer any questions.
Old 25 May 20, 09:02 PM  
Link to this Post
smithlane
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by emmabanana View Post
Biggleswade is a nice town. I’m not sure there is much nightlife but I think there are quite a few nice pubs / restaurants there. Lots of people I work with live there and they all really like it. Sorry not sure about bus services I tend to drive everywhere!
He’s definitely not wrong about the traffic difference 😂
We definitely don’t need a nightlife, I’m in bed by 10 most nights 😂. I just really wanted a nice town with a nice friendly pub to go for a bite to eat within walking distance. I don’t walk anywhere around here as there is nowhere nice to walk to. We always have to drive to go to our favourite pubs/restaurants for dinner.
I drive everywhere too which will be an added bonus with less traffic than here. It was more for my DS who uses the buses a lot, mind you he would be 17 within a year of moving (if we do) so potentially driving himself

IG - alicialanesmith
Old 25 May 20, 09:03 PM  
Link to this Post
smithlane
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by mskitty View Post
Our best friends live in Ampthill. It ticks the boxes for you in terms of independent shops and close to a mainline station to London. Might be a bit far to Welwyn though but Milbrook Golf Course is down the road. Also not sure on house prices sorry. We love visiting there though and would recommend it.
Thank you will take a look. He definitely won’t change golf course, I’ve tried 😂. Even living where we do he still drives round the M25 to Welwyn every Saturday and most Sunday's too!

IG - alicialanesmith
Old 25 May 20, 09:06 PM  
Link to this Post
smithlane
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by sueandco View Post
What about Hemel Hempstead, a four bed semi within walking distance of the train station (direct line to Euston) and the town centre is about £400k. It is close to the M25 and M1 with easy access to the A1. I currently live in Hemel so am happy to answer any questions.
Thank you, I actually saw some lovely houses in Hemel. You certainly get lots for your money!
Do you know anything about sixth form colleges? It’s kind of a deal breaker for us as if we can’t find anything suitable that offers the courses DS wants to do then we’ll put off the move until he leaves in 2023. We will definitely be ready to move by then though

IG - alicialanesmith
Old 25 May 20, 09:08 PM  
Link to this Post
smithlane
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by mskitty View Post
It’s all good, a quick google says 38 mins from Ampthill to Welwyn!

IG - alicialanesmith