Notices

Old 4 Jan 19, 08:50 PM  
Link to this Post
caitlinsmummy
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Kidd McFluff View Post
Oh the jealousy is beginning to hit as I read this pre-trippie. We are doing a Universal only trip later in August and I know absolutely nothing about the food options either in Universal or on Idrive. We've only ever done food onsite with the DDP or OOP or back at the villa from Publix or Take away.
Snap! We are doing Universal only in May, we've only stayed on site with the DDP and have no idea about food offsite Have an amazing trip ... sorry for hijacking Abby xx
caitlinsmummy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Jan 19, 11:57 AM  
Link to this Post
Kat11
VIP Dibber

You have some great choices for adrs! I know exactly what your saying about choosing as I’ve been compiling a list myself and it keeps getting longer!

I’ll go though in order of our experiences:

CRT - not done

Hoop Dee Doo- really good fun and would recommend at least once.

Snow White - really looking forward to trying, love the sharing food.

TH or CP - done both for breakfast, I’m in the minority here as I didn’t like the set up at TH at all and found it a bit grubby (didn’t help finding a hair in dds egg! )

Done CP breakfast and lunch, preferred lunch.

MM vs Tonys - not done Tonys but absolutely loved MM, best steak and cheese pasta ever! I really hope it’s as good next time!

Teppan Edo - love, love, love!

Biergarten- not been

Chefs de France - now, this wouldn’t have been on my list but I’ve read 2 Dibbers reviews on it lately, so out of knowwhere it’s on the list!

Wave- not done

‘Ohana - been twice and loved the food but like you I think it’s too rushed so it’s out for next time.

Grand Floridian cafe- this was nice but we were shattered so probs wasn’t appreciated.

CG - again, I’m going against the grain as I found brunch very underwhelming, my main was chewy and didn’t taste nice but DH loved his eggs benedict, so think my choice clouds my judgement. Dinner at CG however, was really good although what I had there is now not on the menu so undecided about going back?

DS- going to try Homecoming as it’s been having good reviews. Also agree with you that the QS restaurants there are the best option.

Beaches- not done.

HOB- not done.

Others I would recommend are Narcoossee’s, their steak and lobster were fab! Might try Citrico’s as that looks good.
Also, going to try Monsieur Pauls as I read a Dibb review and watched a YouTube vid and it looked really good!

Sorry for the long post as I’ve probably bored you to tears with it?! 😂 but you did ask. 😂

Kat

Edited at 12:01 PM.
Kat11 is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Jan 19, 03:21 PM  
Link to this Post
GALE88
slightly serious Dibber

Sounds like you have lots of fab ADR ideas, I'm just trying to work ours out at the moment too. We're on the DDP for the first time, having only had the QSDP before. We did go to Hoop Dee Doo though and had an absolutely fab time, so I would definitely recommend that.
I think we are going to try Tony's in MK, I think I read a few trip reports recently where it sounded good and I think the whole family will like the menu.
I can't decide about the Snow White meal at Wilderness Lodge, have you seen many reviews yet? I read the menu and it didn't really excite me but I would also like to meet the Evil Queen!
Others on my possibles list that you haven't mentioned are:
Homecomin
Restaurant Marrakesh (because the best QS meal we had was in the QS in Morocco)
Yak and Yeti
Have you been to any of these before?
The kids want to do Ohana breakfast as they want to make sure they meet Stitch, it seems to get mixed reviews but I think they will be happy with it.
The only place I am absolutely certain on is Cali Grill brunch.
GALE88 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Jan 19, 03:59 PM  
Link to this Post
TinselAngel
Imagineer

TinselAngel's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 3
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Hi Abby. I would choose Garden Grill over Biergarten for food quality- have only been to Biergarten once and not impressed. Was at GG in October 18 and really enjoyed both the food and the character interaction. For your signature meal, Citricos is amazing - great food and brilliant service - nice cocktails too! We did 5 signature meals on our last trip and Citricos was the best.

POFQ Dec 2006, Mar 2008, Oct 2009, Oct 2014
Dibb Villas : Mar 2009, Aug 2009, Xmas 2009 Dec 2010, Oct 2011, July 2013, July 2014, Xmas 2014, July 2015, Aug 2017, Jan 2018, Oct 18, OKW:Summer 2012, Beach Club:Oct 2015,July 2017. AKL:Oct 2019
TinselAngel is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Jan 19, 06:25 PM  
Link to this Post
Goldia
VIP Dibber

Goldia's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 5
Restaurant Reviews: 43
Originally Posted by caitlinsmummy View Post
I think Dinner shows are fab if your into them

I can't wait to see your review of Storybook Dining, I was devastated it wasn't open when we were there, so exciting!

Obviously we haven't done Crystal Palace but I think if it's the only place Kate can see Piglet I'd do that, even though I loved Tusker House and that would be my recommendation

We didn't rate Mama Melrose much on our visit sadly, but I think we just found the food too rich for us. We were dubious of Tony's but we enjoyed it (apart from the steak) it's not till day 14 of my report though! I think if I were you I'd try Tony's as much as I love Fantasmic I agree you could still get decent seats.

My vote would be for Chefs De France, we haven't tried the others but apart from the fries looking and tasting like they'd been reheated we enjoyed it.

I think Cali Grill dinner would be a lovely meal to have with your parents watching the fireworks at MK, that would make for a really special night. As 1900 Park Fare was one of our favourites I would have to say that as a choice. Like you though I've heard good reviews of the GF Cafe, in fact I think it was in Collybirds report!

You NEED to make a space for Wolfgang Puck Express, it was our favourite QS meal of the holiday, you won't be disappointed!

I think the kitchen sink would be a fab idea for all 6 of you

I don't think it was on your list but we really enjoyed Sanaa if you could fit that in I think you would really enjoy it. The plans are really coming along, I'm getting so excited for your ADR day xx
Wow, lots of fab advice. Thanks Kelly.

I think that we probably will have to do Crystal Palace, you're right, Kate made her special piglet and pooh ears for it last year so I don't think we can miss it out. So I guess that means I've got to decide if I want to scrap something else so I can keep Tusker.

We enjoyed the mama Melrose meal but weren't wowed by it. I think I've heard so many negative reviews about Tony's that it clouds my thinking, it seems like it had changed recently and there are a lot of people who are positive about it. The other problem then is that if I pick CP and Tony's and CRT that's 3 meals at MK. I guess that's ok?

I think I've convinced myself we should do the kitchen sink as it was fun. I'm also in agreement about Wolfgang Puck at Disney Springs.

I know everyone rates the bread service at Sanaa, hmm, it's hard to know how to fit it all in.

Link to all my completed trip reports
2017: NYC and Orlando. Salzburg. Boston.
2018: Orlando. Berlin.
2019: DLP. Orlando. Washington DC.
2020: DLP.
2021: Jamaica. Rome.
2022: Orlando.
2023: Orlando. Niagara and Toronto.
Goldia is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Jan 19, 06:31 PM  
Link to this Post
Goldia
VIP Dibber

Goldia's Reviews
Originally Posted by Kidd McFluff View Post
Oh the jealousy is beginning to hit as I read this pre-trippie. We are doing a Universal only trip later in August and I know absolutely nothing about the food options either in Universal or on Idrive. We've only ever done food onsite with the DDP or OOP or back at the villa from Publix or Take away.

I would choose Tepan Edo over your other choices in Epcot (mostly because of an excellent meal there on our last trip). Chef De France does pop up a lot doesn't it? we considered it last time but ended up at Cape May Cafe (Beach Resort) and really enjoyed the seafood buffet there.

You are spot on with your assessment of Disney Springs... I totally agree that the QS spots here are more of a draw than the TS venues. Blaze was our favourite but Polite Pig came a close second for us.

It sounds like you're going to have a great trip. We're looking forward to seeing how things progress and of course reading the trippie...
You'll have a fab time at universal. There's so many great places I would recommend. A dibb favourite is bubba gumps, we enjoyed it but I'd not bother going back. We did love Cowfish and Margaritaville on citywalk. On I drive we liked Chili's for fab Mexican food and Longhorns for steak. Of course there's also Denny's and IHOP for breakfast.

Cape may is somewhere we've not tried, but the seafood idea is a good one as we would all enjoy it. I think Teppan Edo is going to make the cut as I it is fun to watch the chef at work, plus tasty food.

I'm glad there are people who agree with me about DS. I really wanted to try out Polite Pig last summer but we didn't make it in the end. I'll have to put it in my notes!

Originally Posted by caitlinsmummy View Post
Snap! We are doing Universal only in May, we've only stayed on site with the DDP and have no idea about food offsite Have an amazing trip ... sorry for hijacking Abby xx
Tut tut I've already given you tips!

Goldia is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Jan 19, 06:42 PM  
Link to this Post
Goldia
VIP Dibber

Goldia's Reviews
Originally Posted by Kat11 View Post
You have some great choices for adrs! I know exactly what your saying about choosing as I’ve been compiling a list myself and it keeps getting longer!

I’ll go though in order of our experiences:

CRT - not done

Hoop Dee Doo- really good fun and would recommend at least once.

Snow White - really looking forward to trying, love the sharing food.

TH or CP - done both for breakfast, I’m in the minority here as I didn’t like the set up at TH at all and found it a bit grubby (didn’t help finding a hair in dds egg! )

Done CP breakfast and lunch, preferred lunch.

MM vs Tonys - not done Tonys but absolutely loved MM, best steak and cheese pasta ever! I really hope it’s as good next time!

Teppan Edo - love, love, love!

Biergarten- not been

Chefs de France - now, this wouldn’t have been on my list but I’ve read 2 Dibbers reviews on it lately, so out of knowwhere it’s on the list!

Wave- not done

‘Ohana - been twice and loved the food but like you I think it’s too rushed so it’s out for next time.

Grand Floridian cafe- this was nice but we were shattered so probs wasn’t appreciated.

CG - again, I’m going against the grain as I found brunch very underwhelming, my main was chewy and didn’t taste nice but DH loved his eggs benedict, so think my choice clouds my judgement. Dinner at CG however, was really good although what I had there is now not on the menu so undecided about going back?

DS- going to try Homecoming as it’s been having good reviews. Also agree with you that the QS restaurants there are the best option.

Beaches- not done.

HOB- not done.

Others I would recommend are Narcoossee’s, their steak and lobster were fab! Might try Citrico’s as that looks good.
Also, going to try Monsieur Pauls as I read a Dibb review and watched a YouTube vid and it looked really good!

Sorry for the long post as I’ve probably bored you to tears with it?! 😂 but you did ask. 😂

Kat
No apologies needed, that's brilliant Kat, thanks so much!

I'm keen to try out hoop Dee doo and I'm glad you think this is a good idea.

Yuck, I'm not surprised you were put off of Tuskers, so thats another vote for CP lunch. We don't eat too many of the breakfasts as we prefer to have a leisurely meal at lunch or dinner. Just when you're flagging and need a bit of a rest and some cool aircon is perfect timing for a meal.

It's hard with the MM and TTS as if I don't go for MM then there is no meal at HS...So maybe that is point in favour for MM instead of TTS.

Chefs de France does keep popping up and I am liking the idea of it. In Rescuers Christmas report I thought the meals all looked lovely and as you say it has popped up lots over the last few months. I think this may have to go to the must do list.

I don't know about the signature option and whether to stick with the Cali Grill brunch that we liked or whether to try out Narcoossees, your steak and lobster meal sounds lovely, I cancelled a reservation for it this summer a couple of days before and we went to jungle skipper canteen instead. Maybe we should try again? Maybe we'd actually make it this time? I could do this instead of GF cafe?

Aaahh I can't decide. Somehow I feel more confused now! Ha ha, I need to plan out the days a little and at least decide how many times we will be at each park etc...that will help I think.

Old 5 Jan 19, 06:52 PM  
Link to this Post
Goldia
VIP Dibber

Goldia's Reviews
Originally Posted by GALE88 View Post
Sounds like you have lots of fab ADR ideas, I'm just trying to work ours out at the moment too. We're on the DDP for the first time, having only had the QSDP before. We did go to Hoop Dee Doo though and had an absolutely fab time, so I would definitely recommend that.
I think we are going to try Tony's in MK, I think I read a few trip reports recently where it sounded good and I think the whole family will like the menu.
I can't decide about the Snow White meal at Wilderness Lodge, have you seen many reviews yet? I read the menu and it didn't really excite me but I would also like to meet the Evil Queen!
Others on my possibles list that you haven't mentioned are:
Homecomin
Restaurant Marrakesh (because the best QS meal we had was in the QS in Morocco)
Yak and Yeti
Have you been to any of these before?
The kids want to do Ohana breakfast as they want to make sure they meet Stitch, it seems to get mixed reviews but I think they will be happy with it.
The only place I am absolutely certain on is Cali Grill brunch.
I'm really pleased to hear another positive comment about Hoop dee doo.

I've seen a few you tube video reviews of the snow white meal. Disney Food Blog, the Dis and one from the WDW couple. They were all pretty positive, the starter is a sharing plate and then you order your main course, pudding is a trip of small desserts. The lure of meeting the characters is making this a definitive for me.

I've not eaten at Homecomin, but it's very popular on here and there are lots of positive reviews.

I agree with you about Restaurant Marrakech as the Morocco QS as it's our favourite too, but I just don't see how I can fit it in.

Also never eaten at the yak and yeti TS, we've had the QS and it's lovely but it never quite fitted into our plans as an ADR.

We've not done 'Ohana breakfast, it is very popular though. We always meet Stitch at TL at the surf boards near the souvenirs shop. You can also meet him in MK now that Stitches great escape is gone they have him as a meet and greet there. So there are other options for you to meet him again if you want.

Old 5 Jan 19, 06:55 PM  
Link to this Post
Goldia
VIP Dibber

Goldia's Reviews
Originally Posted by TinselAngel View Post
Hi Abby. I would choose Garden Grill over Biergarten for food quality- have only been to Biergarten once and not impressed. Was at GG in October 18 and really enjoyed both the food and the character interaction. For your signature meal, Citricos is amazing - great food and brilliant service - nice cocktails too! We did 5 signature meals on our last trip and Citricos was the best.
music to my ears! GARDEN GRILL beats Biergarten! Hurrah!

You're tempting me with Citricos by mentioning the cocktails, but it sounds like you really rated it as best out of 5 signatures is pretty good.

Old 5 Jan 19, 06:59 PM  
Link to this Post
caitlinsmummy
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Goldia View Post
Wow, lots of fab advice. Thanks Kelly.

I think that we probably will have to do Crystal Palace, you're right, Kate made her special piglet and pooh ears for it last year so I don't think we can miss it out. So I guess that means I've got to decide if I want to scrap something else so I can keep Tusker.

We enjoyed the mama Melrose meal but weren't wowed by it. I think I've heard so many negative reviews about Tony's that it clouds my thinking, it seems like it had changed recently and there are a lot of people who are positive about it. The other problem then is that if I pick CP and Tony's and CRT that's 3 meals at MK. I guess that's ok?

I think I've convinced myself we should do the kitchen sink as it was fun. I'm also in agreement about Wolfgang Puck at Disney Springs.

I know everyone rates the bread service at Sanaa, hmm, it's hard to know how to fit it all in.
Such a hard decision and I don't envy you! It's so hard when there's so many good places to eat.

We were the same, that's exactly how I felt about Tony's but I was desperate for decent seats for the parade as it was the only time we'd see it. The seats alone were worth it. We stupidly didn't think but we could have sat looking straight up main street but we sat more to the right so didn't see the parade till it came down Main Street.

But as you keep saying, no need to fit it all in as it just means you'll have to go back xx
caitlinsmummy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List