Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 8 May 19, 09:16 PM  
Link to this Post
Sunset girl
Imagineer

Just to add that on my consent letters I have my daughters (their mother) full name and her passport number and address on it and mobile number
Also the kids full names addresses and date of birth and birth place
And passport numbers..
plus as said before their original birth certificates.. I think I’m fully covered?

Edited at 09:18 PM.
Sunset girl is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 May 19, 09:17 PM  
Link to this Post
scoobydooby
VIP Dibber

Mobile

I have had this (years ago when kids were little and one is 20 now) twice in Orlando. And that’s when they were with me and their dad! My daughter at 17 is introvert at 7 she was mute when a stranger spoke to her. I suspect they wish they’d never picked her!
Old 8 May 19, 09:18 PM  
Link to this Post
Bootrip2
VIP Dibber

I have been stopped before and questioned, they tried to ask DD but she has learning difficulties and problems with communications and i was tired and hesitated on answering a question. I too had details in hand luggage but that was with DH, we were on the mobility trolley as DD wasnt feeling great. It was quite scary.

As i see it they have a job to do and hopefully thorough checks may prevent children being brought into country illegally.
Old 8 May 19, 09:21 PM  
Link to this Post
Welshjim22
Apprentice Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by traleegirl View Post
I have always said this!
Anyone can write a letter pretending to be the parent giving permission...but unless it’s done as an official document witnessed by a solicitor surely it would mean nothing?
It's a little more subtle than that. Does the whole story add up, kids happy, contact numbers to ring and or photocopy of parents passport. Not to mention the officer training and all the other databases and or people they could contact.

This is a regular question every day now and has been for years.
Welshjim22 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 May 19, 09:23 PM  
Link to this Post
nats1211
Very Serious Dibber

The whole thing is ridiculous. It always makes me laugh that they check you on the way back in never on the way out.
My son has his Dads last name which means my partner, my son and I all travel on different surnames and we always leave the country and enter others with no issue and then have 20 questions on the way back in.
My sons Dad passed away unexpectedly last year and I was dreading our first holiday after and the questions and I’d prepped Charlie (my son) that I’d have to explain to the person if they asked. Anyway this really snooty woman said “right then, Do you want to explain the surname situation?” I said “I’m his Mum and this is my partner” and handed over the birth certificate and she looked at Charlie and said “so where is Daddy then?” And he leans forward looked her dead in the eye and just said “he’s dead, can we go now” we got waved through pretty sharpish after that 😂 you shouldn’t laugh but tbh otherwise I’d probably cry! but it is ridiculous the way there isn’t some sort of system for parents to organize some sort of form through the post office or something to link up passports on the system between themselves if separated and to allow grandparents or other adults to take children abroad.

Edited at 09:24 PM.
nats1211 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 May 19, 09:35 PM  
Link to this Post
Kirsty2tt
Excited about Disney

Mobile

I always get stopped on the way back into the UK with my children. Not only do they not have my surname but they are mixed race and always get a good tan. I travel with letter from dad, copy of his passport and kids birth certificates. When we arrive at the immigration desk and they ask for passports I hand it all over now. It just saves the questions. Doesn't help that my son is autistic so one year when asked who i was to him he stood there laughed and said nobody.
Old 8 May 19, 09:40 PM  
Link to this Post
hotspotuk
Excited about Disney

It might seem ridiculous at the time but Customs Officers are asking certain questions worded so that they get an expected reaction which they are trained to spot any inaccuracies. By asking the adults and the children the right questions this can help spot a situation that might need investigation.
Our granddaughter carries her father surname and this provides us with problems at times too but only once have we been stopped so far and asked any questions about her, she has been in the states a couple of times now so is on record as travelling with the same adults so to speak. We got stopped coming back into the UK by Customs at Manchester which wasn’t a good time as we had just got of an overnight flight without any sleep so needless to say the Customs Officer although doing her job wasn’t treated very well by picking on us at the time which I seen was unnecessary after spending 3 weeks in Florida without her mum or dad why would we be bringing her back into the UK if we wanted to kidnap her lol!

Go prepared with a letter of consent with parents passports copied and passport numbers also on the letter of consent and signed by whichever parent has parental control and all will be fine.
hotspotuk is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 May 19, 09:42 PM  
Link to this Post
baboons
Apprentice Imagineer

Why do people complain so much about something designed to protect children? Just because you don't see or understand all the protocols and training doesn't mean they're not worthwhile.

Same as going in to the US: follow the guidance, be polite, answer the questions and you'll be on your way.
baboons is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 May 19, 09:43 PM  
Link to this Post
ShenzyT
VIP Dibber

Thanks for posting this.
We're taking my daughters friend in October.
This is giving me sleepless nights lol...
So sorry for asking a stupid question. Should the letter be typed or handwritten ? Or does it really make any difference.
Nov 1998 - Quality Inn, Oct 1999 - AS Movies, Nov 2008 - AS Music, Sept 2009 - CBR, Oct 2010 - PORS, Oct 2012 - SSR, Oct 2014 - Emerald Island Resort, Oct 2015 - OKW, Oct 2016 - CBR, Oct 2017 - SSR, Oct 2018 - CBR & HGVCSW, Oct 2019 - AKL, Dec 2021 - Windsor Hills Resort, July 2022 - West Coast & DLC, July 2023 - PORS & Merritt Island
ShenzyT is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 May 19, 09:46 PM  
Link to this Post
Neep
Apprentice Imagineer

Mobile

When I went to Florida with my friend and her nieces I was questioned separately. I found the process appropriate in that it is not investigative or judicial. However it did appear that the officer meant business and would not have hesitated to take things further had we not satisfied the process.