Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 16 May 19, 11:02 PM  
Link to this Post
Sunset girl
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Scotty View Post
I had the op for bulging disc at L4/5. I am the 1 in 100 that they tell you doesn't go to plan. I am left with chronic pain, permanent nerve damage, foot drop and some other issues. It will be 8 years in November, Remembrance Day is not my favourite day.
I wish I had tried harder to do more with physio/pilates prior to going for surgery.
Good luck, you have my sympathy.
I’m the same.. had my op 10 yrs ago and left with permanent nerve damage in my right leg and in both feet! Thinking this could have been caused by how long I had a bulging disc for but I’ve never had any answers only pills to take which I don’t .. as I can manage!
Old 17 May 19, 12:16 AM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by borntoshop View Post
I've struggled for 10months but after 2 pain relief injections within the last 10 weeks, the pain has greatly reduced. However, I've been offered a discectomy, to shave the bulging disc. The consultant told me its minor spinal surgery but spinal team have said its still serious surgery. At the moment I've chosen the injections and intensive physio. Already had physio but only once a month which wasn't enough.

I've gone from walking two dogs every day to struggling to walk more then 10 mins some days.

Has anyone had this type of op and how was it or has anyone had the physio and avoided surgery?
Discectomy is usually disc removal.
Most spinal surgeons themselves would avoid having it done if they could help it (there was an article on this but I'm going back a decade plus). I used to do a lot of work with one of the country's leading spinal surgeons.
Then again I've known someone who totally recovered following discectomy who had terrible pain.
Essentially your discs are degenerate. The fibrous outer shell has become brittle, split and the inner jelly like material is extruding like toothpaste from a tube and pressing on your nerve.
I'd say take your doctor's advice and maybe go for a second opinion if you are not happy. It isn't a minor op so you need to be happy.
Old 17 May 19, 07:45 AM  
Link to this Post
Sofiamouse
Trying for More Ears

Mobile

Hi,

I really feel your pain! I had a slipped disc in the L4/5 about 3 years ago . Had MRI after months of pain and was told to do gym etc. It got a lot better. Then last year at 25 weeks pregnant it went again. I was bed bound for 8weeks and all my everyone kept saying is it sounds like GHP a hip problem in pregnancy, even a Physio at the hospital said so! Long story short, I ended up in Hospital for 8 days , losing feeling in my bum legs etc. No dr taking my pain seriously, finally had another MRI done and was told I had cauda equina syndrome and was rushed to neuro hospital for full disc removal. Was told we might lose our baby , me and my husband had to wait once I came round for a midwife to come and see I she still had a heartbeat and thank god she did. 10 months later I’m still having a lot of problems but we have our beautiful girl Jasmine. I wouldn’t put if at least seeing a surgeon and getting advice. Good luck xx
Sofiamouse is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 May 19, 08:27 AM  
Link to this Post
borntoshop
Imagineer

Mobile

I've paid privately to see one of the consultant s who is high up at the spinal unit. Its him that said its just shaving the disc but when I went to the unit they gave me 3 options one of them is physio and injection what I'm trying at the moment.

I'm at a hospital now for 9am physio, going to see what they say.
Nov/Dec 03-Orlando Villa/DLP Sept 04-Greece Nov/Dec 05-Orlando Villa 2007-New Hampshire ski-ing Orlando BWL & Villa 25 Dec 08 Florida New York 2010 New Hampshire 2011 New Hampshire 2012 Florida 2013 North Conway Christmas 2014
borntoshop is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 May 19, 08:28 AM  
Link to this Post
borntoshop
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Sofiamouse View Post
Hi,

I really feel your pain! I had a slipped disc in the L4/5 about 3 years ago . Had MRI after months of pain and was told to do gym etc. It got a lot better. Then last year at 25 weeks pregnant it went again. I was bed bound for 8weeks and all my everyone kept saying is it sounds like GHP a hip problem in pregnancy, even a Physio at the hospital said so! Long story short, I ended up in Hospital for 8 days , losing feeling in my bum legs etc. No dr taking my pain seriously, finally had another MRI done and was told I had cauda equina syndrome and was rushed to neuro hospital for full disc removal. Was told we might lose our baby , me and my husband had to wait once I came round for a midwife to come and see I she still had a heartbeat and thank god she did. 10 months later I’m still having a lot of problems but we have our beautiful girl Jasmine. I wouldn’t put if at least seeing a surgeon and getting advice. Good luck xx
How awful for you, so glad your baby was OK.
Nov/Dec 03-Orlando Villa/DLP Sept 04-Greece Nov/Dec 05-Orlando Villa 2007-New Hampshire ski-ing Orlando BWL & Villa 25 Dec 08 Florida New York 2010 New Hampshire 2011 New Hampshire 2012 Florida 2013 North Conway Christmas 2014
borntoshop is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 May 19, 08:30 AM  
Link to this Post
borntoshop
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by YorkshireT View Post
Discectomy is usually disc removal.
Most spinal surgeons themselves would avoid having it done if they could help it (there was an article on this but I'm going back a decade plus). I used to do a lot of work with one of the country's leading spinal surgeons.
Then again I've known someone who totally recovered following discectomy who had terrible pain.
Essentially your discs are degenerate. The fibrous outer shell has become brittle, split and the inner jelly like material is extruding like toothpaste from a tube and pressing on your nerve.
I'd say take your doctor's advice and maybe go for a second opinion if you are not happy. It isn't a minor op so you need to be happy.
Thank you for your reply. I hate to admit its an age thing, although sitting at a desk for 10 hours probably didn't help. I only had a niggle till I saw a chiropractor last July.
Old 17 May 19, 08:49 AM  
Link to this Post
salmim
Imagineer

salmim's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Mobile

I feel (or felt) your pain.
I had horrendous pain due to the same disc problems. Couldn't sleep, walk, work. This was 25 or so years ago.
Went to the brilliant consultant and he shouted to his receptionist " Get the shotgun Susan this one's had it! "😂 he operated took out the disc and luckily (or more likely due to his skill) I have been fit as a fiddle since. It was a very worrying time I understand your worries.and hope all goes well for you
salmim is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 May 19, 08:52 AM  
Link to this Post
novocastrian
Imagineer

My Mrs had microdiscectomy(shaving the 'bulge'), on herniated L5/S1 @ 2 years ago

personally if offered surgery then go for it... physo/pain killers will never 'fix' it

she was in BUPA 2 days & was back at the gym in @6 weeks ...
novocastrian is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 May 19, 09:54 AM  
Link to this Post
EllieP
Imagineer

Mobile

I will say even after having the surgery as I described in my earlier post, the nerve damage is still there. I waited 2 years to have the operation and my whole right leg and foot were numb. Although some of the feeling has come back in my foot and leg, I still have numb areas around my heel, back of thigh and bum area on my right side. The surgeon said this can sometimes come back after surgery depending on the level of nerve damage. However all in all I am in no pain so I can live with that.
EllieP is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 May 19, 10:24 PM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

Originally Posted by borntoshop View Post
Thank you for your reply. I hate to admit its an age thing, although sitting at a desk for 10 hours probably didn't help. I only had a niggle till I saw a chiropractor last July.
It’s not necessarily an age thing , its genetics, proven by twin studies. Not only that, but it’s luck. Many people have herniated discs and do not know, as there are zero symptoms.
This is why MRI’s for diagnosis are often a bad idea, the MRI sees the herniated disc, which in turn gives a diagnosis. This means the herniated disc can wrongly be attributed to the pain. Better to make a diagnosis on clinical presentation, that get the MRI to confirm.