Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 20 May 19, 11:57 AM  
Link to this Post
sasperella
Apprentice Imagineer

sasperella's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
I agree with what others have said.
We had a 12 year old Staffie gorgeous boy, he died in September. We were heartbroken. Not getting another one! As I’d retired my dog had been part of my routine. I felt lonely so decide we would get a puppy she’s nearly 8 months old. I’d forgotten how much hard work they were!
We go training once a week and then Junior play for an hour which exhausts her! Doggy daycare once a month - to keep us sane!
She digs craters in the garden is chewing the fence,
when she was younger ate part of kitchen wallpaper!
Both of them are crate trained. Our old boy slept in it (gate always open) and fireworks night he’d go and hide in their his security.
Love her a lot now. Would I get a pup again - NO WAY!

Rosen Inn @ Pointe Orlando. Easter 2013, Sept/Oct 2015, Nov/Dec 2017
Wilderness Lodge 2018
AKL 2019, 2020, 2022. Beach Club 2023
sasperella is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 May 19, 01:44 PM  
Link to this Post
Gilly120
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Claudette View Post
You leave your back door open when you are out? Are you living very remotely?

No but in a very quiet cul de sac, we are garden to garden with the house behind with a high fence going all the way round. We also have great neighbours either side and they both have dogs. I am quite lucky.
Old 20 May 19, 02:03 PM  
Link to this Post
Hopefulholiday
Very Serious Dibber

Hopefulholiday's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
I’m another that would say think very carefully, we’re on our second rescue dog but our first really put us through it. Initially she was left about 6 hours a day and became quite destructive so ended up in a kennel/run outside during the day for a year or 2. She was always run before work to tire her out but we couldn’t let her in the house alone until she was older. However once she was a bit older she was amazing, she was run 3-5 miles each morning then would settle in her bed and was fine to be left all day.

Our new dog doesn’t like being left although he was for a few weeks when we first got him but he wasn’t happy. Fortunately I’m not working presently so he has company most of the time however I’m under no illusion that when I go back to work we will need a walker/sitter.
I think what I’m trying to say is that it can be dependent on the dog or their age! Also our rescue centre suggested to get a dog into the routine as soon as you can rather than get them before a holiday when they get used to you being around...although whether that works for all I don’t know.
With regards to school, my dd is doing GCSEs this year and has had loads to additional classes at lunchtime so I wouldn’t have wanted her to miss those to check on the dog.
June/July 2019: New York, Riu Plaza & Orlando, villa Sunset Lakes, HRH
Hopefulholiday is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 May 19, 02:51 PM  
Link to this Post
floridasgirl
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Gilly120 View Post
No but in a very quiet cul de sac, we are garden to garden with the house behind with a high fence going all the way round. We also have great neighbours either side and they both have dogs. I am quite lucky.
Wow, still very trusting. Think your house insurance might well be invalid if you did ever get burgled! Just having dogs isnt always a different either as unfortunatly they aren't bothered about hurting the dogs if they want in!
Christmas/New Year 1999/2000 Indian Ridge Villa, May 2001 Fort Lauderdale /I Drive/Port Charlotte/Key West/Miami, May 2005 Westhaven Villa, April 2006 Rotunda Villa/Highlands Reserve Villa, June 2007 Sanibel Villa/Grand Cypress Villas, Christmas/New Year 2010/2011 Lake Wilson Preserve Villa, July/Aug 2012 reunion resort villa, Nov 2012 new York new York!
floridasgirl is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 May 19, 04:03 PM  
Link to this Post
Gilly120
Imagineer

Originally Posted by floridasgirl View Post
Wow, still very trusting. Think your house insurance might well be invalid if you did ever get burgled! Just having dogs isnt always a different either as unfortunatly they aren't bothered about hurting the dogs if they want in!
Its hard to explain the way the houses are built but it would be extremely difficult for a burglar to get to the back of the house, neither neighbours work and between the 3 houses there are 9 dogs. I am not saying we couldnt get burgled but the chances of it are quite slim.
Old 20 May 19, 07:00 PM  
Link to this Post
Animagus
Imagineer

Originally Posted by WhereIBelong View Post
Would give a note of caution on guinea pigs - if you are allergic to cats it is probable that you will be allergic to guinea pigs too. We are (me, both DDs, and DH) - we bought 2 lovely guinea pigs - they had to live outside in a hutch as we got so bad, it was left to me with the lowest allergy response to care for them and they lived forevvvvvvvvvvvvver (nearly 10 years!) - since they were not handled a lot, they thrived and bumbled about happily - they were lovely, but allergies made life with them a bit miserable - for us, not them obviously.

same is happening with the dog - I did not want a dog - I have now had him for 8 years - somehow I have ended up caring for a dog... He is lovely and loved, don't get me wrong, but I would not do it all over again... and I use I, not we...

I do the feeding, walking, cleaning up after, bathing, grooming, defleaing, worming, administering any medication, brushing teeth, training, booking any appointments, arranging holidays around kennels, keeping him company - the kids play with him for 15 minutes and think they are "taking care of the dog" - wait for it... FOR ME...

Personally - "we" will not be getting any more pets. Ever.
Thank you sooo much for posting this. I hadn’t even thought about the prospect of being allergic to guinea pigs! My cat allergy is pretty severe, DDs less so. I’m beginning to think that a pet is out of the question for us. A shame, but the animal welfare must come first.
Animagus is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 May 19, 07:07 PM  
Link to this Post
Animagus
Imagineer

Thank you so, so much dibbers. I really appreciate you sharing your stories and giving your honest opinions.
Mexy, you are absolutely right about the cost factor. It is a huge consideration. This isn’t the first time we have discussed the possibility of getting a dog, but I really don’t think we can make it work, in our current situation.
Our DD would happily volunteer at an animal shelter but you have to be quite a bit older.

I know there will be more tears and pleading (not helped by the fact she is our only one and is desperate for a pet to love and play with) but, ultimately, as sad as it is, I don’t think we can give a dog the life it deserves.

I know she’ll keep on with the guinea pigs/rabbits/ gerbils line - I might look into those further to see if we can make anything work.

Thanks again. You’re fab.
Animagus is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 May 19, 07:35 PM  
Link to this Post
princessgem
Very Serious Dibber

Mobile

My friend who is at uni signed up for ‘borrow my doggy’ which is an app she paid £15 for the year, and this allows her to walk other people’s dogs! They pay more to use the app and there is insurance etc in place, but just thinking it could be a good way for her to interact with dogs a bit! Obviously you would have to sign up but she could tag along 🐕

2015: Art of Animation + Hard Rock
princessgem is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 May 19, 07:50 PM  
Link to this Post
Animagus
Imagineer

Originally Posted by princessgem View Post
My friend who is at uni signed up for ‘borrow my doggy’ which is an app she paid £15 for the year, and this allows her to walk other people’s dogs! They pay more to use the app and there is insurance etc in place, but just thinking it could be a good way for her to interact with dogs a bit! Obviously you would have to sign up but she could tag along 🐕
Thanks. I’ll look into this. Sounds like a nice compromise.
Old 20 May 19, 07:53 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by princessgem View Post
When I was struggling to find a dog sitter I signed up for this as a possible alternative. Everyone in my area wanting to borrow dogs were charging fees so essentially using it as a platform to manage their dog walking / sitting business.

Whilst I had originally been looking for paid care, I was a bit puzzled by the website. I didn't use it in the end.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List