Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 15 Jul 19, 09:44 PM  
Link to this Post
Sunset girl
Imagineer

Mobile

I have this as well
I’ve had it in Florida but I haven’t fainted I’ve just gone very dizzy like a slow motion dizzy if that makes sense
I had the tilt table test
the consultant recommended that I eat salted crisps! Actually his first suggestion was a bag of salty chips ..
Old 16 Jul 19, 03:20 PM  
Link to this Post
Scaramouche
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Sunset girl View Post
I have this as well
I’ve had it in Florida but I haven’t fainted I’ve just gone very dizzy like a slow motion dizzy if that makes sense
I had the tilt table test
the consultant recommended that I eat salted crisps! Actually his first suggestion was a bag of salty chips ..
It is a really slow motion dizzy! I didn’t know how to describe it until you said that. That’s exactly what it is. But also really strong, everything g is REALLY blurry even in comparison to the getting up to quick kind of dizzy.
Forget Regrets... Or Life Is Yours To Miss.. No Other Road, No Other Way.. No Day But Today.. ♪
Scaramouche is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Jul 19, 06:42 PM  
Link to this Post
returnplanning
Imagineer

Stay well hydrated and make sure you have eaten something, even if light, make sure you pump the calf muscles e.g. stand on tiptoe a few times when standing for long periods.

Compression stockings can help, but aren't very practical in Florida weather!
Old 16 Jul 19, 07:28 PM  
Link to this Post
Sunset girl
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Scaramouche View Post
It is a really slow motion dizzy! I didn’t know how to describe it until you said that. That’s exactly what it is. But also really strong, everything g is REALLY blurry even in comparison to the getting up to quick kind of dizzy.
For me it feels like I’m in a goldfish bowl looking out !
Old 16 Jul 19, 07:46 PM  
Link to this Post
Bartswife
Imagineer

I always pass out when I vomit (sorry). Started in my teens and still happens now, mercifully im not ill very often, but funnily enough it never happened with morning sickness during my pregnancies.
Bartswife is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Jul 19, 11:19 PM  
Link to this Post
LRMD
Imagineer

Mobile

I fainted once in Florida at Universal but I think that was because I got sunburnt at Wet n Wild the day before so maybe dehydrated. We were in the Terminator attraction and I just collapsed, luckily my husband sort of caught me and I was taken to the first aid room. They did my blood pressure and gave me a nice sugary drink and I felt so much better. After that I am really careful now and cover up, wear a hat, stand in the shade, take advantage of as much air con as I can! We also like to go in Jan or Feb when cooler, although last year went in Oct/Nov but it was mega hot so won’t be going again that time of year! Just make sure you drink lots and use fast passes and single rider to minimise queue times. I always feel really embarrassed when I faint! I usually come round apologising to people!
LRMD is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Jul 19, 09:28 AM  
Link to this Post
Jennywren
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by louiseybobs View Post
Oh thanks everyone! It did make me laugh reading the triggers
Hot
Stuffy
Stress
Excitement

I’m organising my mums 50th birthday trip for 10 people including 3 kids. All of the above will happen 🙈❤️
Hi Louiseybobs,
I have had this condition for over 30 years and at first found it quite frightening, but I just take it in my stride now.

For me the Vasovagal attacks tend to come in clusters at its worst I have blacked out 30+ times a day, but then I can go months without anything happening. Initially I was very frightened by this but after a huge amount of hospital stays and tests and no clear diagnosis, a few years ago a neurologist explained it to me that I am like a computer that needs to switch off and reboot, and I have found this explanation has really helped me to understand the condition.

The attacks tend to happen to me particularly when I am overtired (I also have ME/CFS) and I experience what is best described as sensory overload; when there is a combination of lots of heat, background noise, bright lights or strong sunshine, and strong smells or odours, etc and my body says I have had enough now I can't process all of this at once and I literally switch off. When I come round again I always have a very strong headache/migraine, am extremely photophobic, am quite drowsy and very thirsty. The weird thing is I can hear people around me panicking while I am out for the count but I just can't rouse myself or respond to them. I am usually fine after a lot f water to drink and a sleep in a darkened room.

I now carry a medical emergency card which explains the attacks, along with a letter from my doctor, so hopefully I am not packed off in an ambulance unnecessarily. I also carry cheap disposable foam earplugs to wear in noisy areas, and wear dark glasses in brightly lit areas both of which have helped, I haven't found a way round coping with other peoples strong perfumes though.

I hadn't had any attacks since last summer and managed 4 weeks in Florida earlier this year without a problem, but have had several clusters again in the last few days, I guess I am just going to have to take it easier than usual again for a few weeks and make sure I am well rested before we go away again in September.

I have had attacks in Florida many years ago and ended up being taken to hospital but that was before I had a clear diagnosis and I didn't travel until I had been clear of attacks for over a year before the trip. It may be a generalisation but in my experience Americans tend to panic much more than us Brits if they see someone collapse.

I think the more you understand the condition and what is happening to you the easier it will be to find your own coping strategies. I would definitely look into getting a DAS card for the parks to make it easier to cope with long waits and ensure the others in your party can explain if you do have an attack. Build in plenty of downtime/ rest periods to your holiday schedule and get others in your party to help share the planning load. While in the parks I also carry a water misting spray to help me cool down, a small lightweight umbrella to use as a sunshade, a battery operated fan etc etc

Also very important make sure your travel insurance knows about your diagnosis and will cover you for this pre existing condition.

I hope this helps you a bit and that you enjoy your holiday without incident but don't hesitate to personal message me if you want to chat more about this.
Jennywren is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Jul 19, 10:21 AM  
Link to this Post
Whitequeen
Imagineer

Whitequeen's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
I have this, too. It's never happened in Florida or anywhere else on holiday though.

West Coast Visits-5
Whitequeen is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Jul 19, 11:03 AM  
Link to this Post
louiseybobs
Imagineer

louiseybobs's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 8
Originally Posted by Jennywren View Post
Hi Louiseybobs,
I have had this condition for over 30 years and at first found it quite frightening, but I just take it in my stride now.

For me the Vasovagal attacks tend to come in clusters at its worst I have blacked out 30+ times a day, but then I can go months without anything happening. Initially I was very frightened by this but after a huge amount of hospital stays and tests and no clear diagnosis, a few years ago a neurologist explained it to me that I am like a computer that needs to switch off and reboot, and I have found this explanation has really helped me to understand the condition.

The attacks tend to happen to me particularly when I am overtired (I also have ME/CFS) and I experience what is best described as sensory overload; when there is a combination of lots of heat, background noise, bright lights or strong sunshine, and strong smells or odours, etc and my body says I have had enough now I can't process all of this at once and I literally switch off. When I come round again I always have a very strong headache/migraine, am extremely photophobic, am quite drowsy and very thirsty. The weird thing is I can hear people around me panicking while I am out for the count but I just can't rouse myself or respond to them. I am usually fine after a lot f water to drink and a sleep in a darkened room.

I now carry a medical emergency card which explains the attacks, along with a letter from my doctor, so hopefully I am not packed off in an ambulance unnecessarily. I also carry cheap disposable foam earplugs to wear in noisy areas, and wear dark glasses in brightly lit areas both of which have helped, I haven't found a way round coping with other peoples strong perfumes though.

I hadn't had any attacks since last summer and managed 4 weeks in Florida earlier this year without a problem, but have had several clusters again in the last few days, I guess I am just going to have to take it easier than usual again for a few weeks and make sure I am well rested before we go away again in September.

I have had attacks in Florida many years ago and ended up being taken to hospital but that was before I had a clear diagnosis and I didn't travel until I had been clear of attacks for over a year before the trip. It may be a generalisation but in my experience Americans tend to panic much more than us Brits if they see someone collapse.

I think the more you understand the condition and what is happening to you the easier it will be to find your own coping strategies. I would definitely look into getting a DAS card for the parks to make it easier to cope with long waits and ensure the others in your party can explain if you do have an attack. Build in plenty of downtime/ rest periods to your holiday schedule and get others in your party to help share the planning load. While in the parks I also carry a water misting spray to help me cool down, a small lightweight umbrella to use as a sunshade, a battery operated fan etc etc

Also very important make sure your travel insurance knows about your diagnosis and will cover you for this pre existing condition.

I hope this helps you a bit and that you enjoy your holiday without incident but don't hesitate to personal message me if you want to chat more about this.
Wow thank you, I actually hadn't had it since new years eve, and then last night was chatting after a run with a friend, and it came over me all of a sudden and I had to go and sit in the car. So annoying
Old 18 Jul 19, 11:33 AM  
Link to this Post
Cloverlady
Imagineer

I had this for a couple of years, about 12 years ago.

I do feel for you as you have no control or usually none or no warning it is going to happen!

Mine stopped happening just as unexpectedly as it had started - so it might just stop for you too.
Mine they think was down to altering hormone levels, but they weren't sure.
It never happened in Florida though
Cloverlady is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List