General Trip Reports Reports that don't fit in to the other categories

Old 13 Feb 18, 05:19 PM  
Link to this Post
floridafan101
Very Serious Dibber

floridafan101's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 2
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Two Countries and Eleven States Day 2 SOL, Brooklyn Bridge, Hoboken and more!

20th October 2017

So today was the day we were off to the SOL. I was up early but had actually slept well so was raring to go.
We grabbed muffins and fruit and coffee to go and were at the subway at 7.15. We had early tickets and wanted to be there in plenty of time. We were so early we got off at Wall Street to walk down to the ferry. We walked round the outside of the beautiful old Trinity church of National Treasure fame

and of course guess whose buried there none other than Alexander Hamilton!

As the creator of of the Treasury his grave is marked appropriately. For those in the know Angelica and Eliza are nearby.
Down Broadway, past The Bull with the required photos and on to Battery Park.
We were early even so and sat for a while in the park taking in the atmosphere and just enjoying being in NY
However it was soon time to board the ferry, we got bands on our wrists as we had tickets for The Crown, I wasn’t looking forward to the stairs!
Another beautiful day! But windy on the boat.

We were soon there after much oohing and ahhing as the lady herself grew nearer.

We walked round marvelling at the colossal size and how clean and immaculate everything was

We didn’t waste anytime but headed straight up and after the usual security checks, bag stowed in a locker we started up the long climb.
As per the website,
There are 377 steps from the main lobby to the crown platform. There is an elevator inside the Pedestal. There is no elevator access from the top of the pedestal to the crown platform (from the Statue's feet to the Statue's head). The only restrooms are in the Statue's lobby, 377 steps from the crown!
However I was ok must be fitter than I thought lol!
You have to pause at the pedestal to have a breather and then let people come down as the room in the Crown is very small and you can’t linger there too long. However you aren’t rushed and the rangers were only too happy to take photos and talk about the lady.

Looking down on the tablet

We were suprprised to learn the statues thickness is only that of 2 American pennies- wow!
We had a wander round for the inevitable NY skyline pics etc before back on the boat.

We had decided not to do a Ellis Island did think the boys at 8 and 10 might not be that bothered and with only 3 Days in NY it wasn’t high enough on our priorities to factor in. Was disappointing and the boys were eager to go as the ferry called in on our way back.
However onwards with a quick ice cream break for the guys and a NY bagel for me because well you have to surely! It was good but don’t think I’d get that enthusiastic

Anyway it was now 11.30 and we had managed one of the major items on our NYC list so I was feeling good.
Certainly the early morning had paid off and I would heartily recommend others to do the same.
We walked back up Broadway heading for 9/11 Memorial but just seeing what we came upon along the way.

I was pregnant when 9/11 happened and remember just wondering what the world would be like when my son was born in November. I think we all remember where we are when we heard about it, all remember watching the endless repeats of the planes flying into the towers, the same sender of shock and disbelief.
Here I was 16 years on, tragically without my little boy who would have been 16 on this trip, he died when he was 4 standing in that spot thinking about him and all the other people who weren’t there but whose names are written. It was a very emotional moment. I was glad that nearly everyone was respectful and just seemed to be taking a moment.

And so on with the show.

We headed up to City Hall on our way to the Brooklyn Bridge. By 1.30 it was clearly time for more fuel and when we saw

There was only one thing to do especially when you have a 10yr old Nathan.
We sat in the park for a few minutes to eat and have a rest and admire City Hall location for SVU Law & Order and cool off.
P

Then we grabbed a Starbucks iced coffee and headed over the Brooklyn Bridge in the glorious sunshine.

Great experience, wonderful views even the boys didn’t complain about all the walking!
From here DH and I wanted to head down and get the classic view of the bridge a la ‘Once upon a time in America’
Which we did! Sorry!

Fabulous!
We then walked along the shore and had a sit taking in the views whilst the boys skimmed stones. Again the scene of many a dead body washed up in a NY Police drama me thinks!

It was mid to late afternoon by Now and it was time for another big attraction Cake Boss
Me and the boys have been massive fans of the show for years and managed a quick photo in Vegas the year before but no cake that time. This time would be different!
Vegas baby!

Off to Hoboken (Love that name) and really cute place

state no.2 for those of you interested in keeping count
2. New Jersey
I’d like to say it was straight forward but alas things went awry and what should have been an easy trip took us via Secaucus! Don’t ask!
So somewhat delayed we made our way to that holy of holy for enthusiastic cake makers... drum roll please... Carlos Bakery!

Purchases made, I might show you my birthday cake later, we headed off for food. Found a diner where I had the biggest meal of my life, totally out faced I barely ate anything but the red wine was welcome.

Finally a mention for Hoboken station which is without doubt one of the most beautiful stations I think I will ever see in my life, stunning.

Home was a lot quicker idiots that we are and it was straight back to hotel and bed about 11pm
after a very long but fantastic day.

Tomorrow is my birthday and it’s a biggee!

Steps today 24,556 10.63 miles and didn’t I know it.

Index

2006 1st trip to Florida 2008 The return 2009 Its Florida again 2010 Florida again! 2011 Yes! Florida 2013 Florida please! 2015 Back to Florida 2016 California! 2017 New York (and beyond) 2018 East Coast Road Trip 2019 Florida one last time ... again!

Edited at 12:53 AM.
floridafan101 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Feb 18, 08:29 PM  
Link to this Post
P&S
Imagineer

Just love Lady Liberty, DH went to the crown I only did the pedastal as I don't really like heights.
9/11 is very moving and must of been very emotional for you.
Old 13 Feb 18, 09:45 PM  
Link to this Post
Melbatb
Imagineer

What a great day! Though it sounds as though it was emotional at times too.

Love the b&w photo of Brooklyn Bridge.

Index of my trip reports
2016 Quebec - Kuala Lumpar - New York City 2017 Dubai - Eurocamps France - Ontario and Quebec - So-Cal 2018 Montreal - Bangkok - New England 2019 Argentina - Quebec City - Hong Kong - 2020 Switzerland 2022 Arizona - Costa Med Cruise - Oslo 2023 Hong Kong - Gothenburg
Melbatb is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Feb 18, 09:40 AM  
Link to this Post
Goldia
VIP Dibber

Goldia's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 5
Restaurant Reviews: 43
Fab that you were out early and wandered Wall street in the early morning sunshine. I can't believe how lucky you were with the weather. We went in July last year and the first 2 days were pretty cold and wet. We loved the walk over to Brooklyn too, you've got some great photos. Hoboken station looks lovely.

Link to all my completed trip reports
2017: NYC and Orlando. Salzburg. Boston.
2018: Orlando. Berlin.
2019: DLP. Orlando. Washington DC.
2020: DLP.
2021: Jamaica. Rome.
2022: Orlando.
2023: Orlando. Niagara and Toronto.
Goldia is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Feb 18, 03:49 PM  
Link to this Post
floridafan101
Very Serious Dibber

floridafan101's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by Goldia View Post
Fab that you were out early and wandered Wall street in the early morning sunshine. I can't believe how lucky you were with the weather. We went in July last year and the first 2 days were pretty cold and wet. We loved the walk over to Brooklyn too, you've got some great photos. Hoboken station looks lovely.

Wow can’t believe the difference in the weather! We are going again July so hoping for more of the same and not so much of your July weather . Yeah I preferred Hoboken station to Central St - controversial I know!

2006 1st trip to Florida 2008 The return 2009 Its Florida again 2010 Florida again! 2011 Yes! Florida 2013 Florida please! 2015 Back to Florida 2016 California! 2017 New York (and beyond) 2018 East Coast Road Trip 2019 Florida one last time ... again!
floridafan101 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Feb 18, 09:36 AM  
Link to this Post
Jesslydevie1
Very Serious Dibber

Oh what a beautiful day ,and haven’t you been so lucky with the weather. Love the picture of the Brooklyn Bridge.
Old 21 Feb 18, 08:10 AM  
Link to this Post
yellowrose78
VIP Dibber

yellowrose78's Reviews
Your day is pretty much how we've planned our first day, however we thought Hoboken wouldn't be easy to fit in, so plan the Times Square one, is the Hoboken one better? I know it's the main place but is there anything different worth seeing? Our Dd11 is obsessed with cake boss. I got a bit emotional at your description at 9/11 and the loss of your son, can't begin to imagine how you felt. Love all your info on SOL, we have an 8am booking, hope it's not too early to try and negotiate the subway

Movieland Hotel IDrive - 2002 / POR - 2012 / 3 Weeks at OKW - 2014 / Villa at Highlands Reserve - 2016 / New York and Orlando - 2018 / Caribbean Cruise MSC Seaside - June 2019 / Orlando Covid cancelled 2020 and 2021 / Planning for Orlando 2024
yellowrose78 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List