Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 14 May 19, 08:45 PM  
Link to this Post
borntoshop
Imagineer

Minor Spinal surgery

I've struggled for 10months but after 2 pain relief injections within the last 10 weeks, the pain has greatly reduced. However, I've been offered a discectomy, to shave the bulging disc. The consultant told me its minor spinal surgery but spinal team have said its still serious surgery. At the moment I've chosen the injections and intensive physio. Already had physio but only once a month which wasn't enough.

I've gone from walking two dogs every day to struggling to walk more then 10 mins some days.

Has anyone had this type of op and how was it or has anyone had the physio and avoided surgery?

Edited at 08:46 PM.
borntoshop is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 May 19, 09:06 PM  
Link to this Post
EllieP
Imagineer

I had this in Oct 2015 for the L5 disc. I had suffered with pain for just over 2 years and had no choice but to have the operation. Mine was in my lower back and affected S1 nerve right down my right leg. I tried pain killers and paid privately for physio. Physio did nothing for me though, if anything it aggravated my symptoms.
Had the op and was in hospital for 1 night. Came home and it took around 6 weeks to heal I would say. I was off work for 3 months and had physio exercises to do during this time. I had to take it easy for around 6-12 months after op but I’m nearly 4 years in now and it’s fine. I’m back in the gym training 3 times a week and although I am still careful I can now do most things that I could before. Any questions just ask.
In all, I got to the point where I was surviving and not living. I couldn’t walk far with my family, some days I was in so much pain I stayed in bed all day. I had time off work on 2 separate occasions (3 months) and it was affecting every area of my life. I just couldn’t not have the operation.

Edited at 09:07 PM.
EllieP is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 May 19, 09:13 PM  
Link to this Post
borntoshop
Imagineer

Mobile

Thank you for reply. Good to hear you're doing so well.

Mine is the same area, L5 and down my right leg.

I'm not on the waiting list at the moment but I believe its a 10 month wait.
Nov/Dec 03-Orlando Villa/DLP Sept 04-Greece Nov/Dec 05-Orlando Villa 2007-New Hampshire ski-ing Orlando BWL & Villa 25 Dec 08 Florida New York 2010 New Hampshire 2011 New Hampshire 2012 Florida 2013 North Conway Christmas 2014
borntoshop is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 May 19, 10:14 PM  
Link to this Post
Scotty
Imagineer

I had the op for bulging disc at L4/5. I am the 1 in 100 that they tell you doesn't go to plan. I am left with chronic pain, permanent nerve damage, foot drop and some other issues. It will be 8 years in November, Remembrance Day is not my favourite day.
I wish I had tried harder to do more with physio/pilates prior to going for surgery.
Good luck, you have my sympathy.
Old 15 May 19, 04:51 PM  
Link to this Post
EllieP
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Scotty View Post
I had the op for bulging disc at L4/5. I am the 1 in 100 that they tell you doesn't go to plan. I am left with chronic pain, permanent nerve damage, foot drop and some other issues. It will be 8 years in November, Remembrance Day is not my favourite day.
I wish I had tried harder to do more with physio/pilates prior to going for surgery.
Oh Scotty this sounds awful. It is such a big decision isn’t it. I tried physio for over 6 months and it really made it worse. I can totally sympathise as I really do not think it is minor surgery as had been described to the OP.
EllieP is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 May 19, 09:13 PM  
Link to this Post
borntoshop
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Scotty View Post
Thank you for your reply and so sorry to read how wrong it went.
Nov/Dec 03-Orlando Villa/DLP Sept 04-Greece Nov/Dec 05-Orlando Villa 2007-New Hampshire ski-ing Orlando BWL & Villa 25 Dec 08 Florida New York 2010 New Hampshire 2011 New Hampshire 2012 Florida 2013 North Conway Christmas 2014
Old 15 May 19, 09:20 PM  
Link to this Post
borntoshop
Imagineer

Originally Posted by EllieP View Post
Oh Scotty this sounds awful. It is such a big decision isn’t it. I tried physio for over 6 months and it really made it worse. I can totally sympathise as I really do not think it is minor surgery as had been described to the OP.
I've lost months of having physio just once a month and as soon as they knew i was having an MRI scan (privately) i was taken off the books. They refused to send me for one, kept telling me that i needed to manage the pain. Three weeks ago at the spinal unit i was told that i need physio every week and it starts on friday at the hospital this time. the spinal unit have been amazing.

Luckily i've been able to carry on working but i had been in pain every day for 10 months.

Spent about £2500 privately as well on MRI and one injection plus consultations.
Old 15 May 19, 09:56 PM  
Link to this Post
Scotty
Imagineer

Originally Posted by borntoshop View Post
Thank you for your reply and so sorry to read how wrong it went.
I'm still here, I can still walk, work, go to Disney. It could have been a lot worse.
Unfortunately it had gone on for so long and got so bad by the time I saw the consultant I would have agreed to anything. I'm sure you will know that feeling.
I do pilates now and that really helps. I have trigger point massage and have just started hypnotherapy. I also saw people come in for the same surgery and walk out 3 days later brand new. It works for many people.

All the best with what ever you decide.
Old 15 May 19, 10:11 PM  
Link to this Post
BarrettFamily
VIP Dibber

DH had 2 lots of this and ended up with a spinal fusion. I would not call it minor surgery. Surely any spinal surgery is major. His success and failure wasn’t down to the surgery but the degenerative problem in his back. It was worth the try at the discectomy before more major surgery. However he has been left with nerve damage down one leg because they insisted on injections and physio before operating and by the time they relieved the pressure the damage was done. I know there is a balance between non invasive procedures and surgery but don’t let them wait too long. Could you go on the waiting list, have physio in the meantime and cancel the surgery if it works?
WDW All Stars Movies 2001- 10th Anniversary
WDW Carribean Beach Resort 2006
WDW All Stars Music 2008
WDW Saratoga Springs Resort and Spa 2018 - 50th Birthday Celebration with Mum.
BarrettFamily is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 May 19, 10:55 PM  
Link to this Post
Leggibone
Imagineer

Originally Posted by BarrettFamily View Post
DH had 2 lots of this and ended up with a spinal fusion. I would not call it minor surgery. Surely any spinal surgery is major. His success and failure wasn’t down to the surgery but the degenerative problem in his back. It was worth the try at the discectomy before more major surgery. However he has been left with nerve damage down one leg because they insisted on injections and physio before operating and by the time they relieved the pressure the damage was done. I know there is a balance between non invasive procedures and surgery but don’t let them wait too long. Could you go on the waiting list, have physio in the meantime and cancel the surgery if it works?
Honestly I’d get on the waiting list of you think you might want it in s years time,

Talk to your physio and check it’s suitable but my friend has a bulged disk and finds Pilates so helpful in supporting her back and managing the pain, going from being in pain constantly and having to manage with very strong pain killers, to being back off the pain killers and whilst she says she still in pain as long as she doesn’t miss too many Pilates sessions, and is careful what she does (not hauling heavy stuff) she doesn’t need the painkillers and it’s usually just an ache rather then the horrific pain.
Whilst I’m an advocate of trying to do things without surgery, it can take so long on the waiting lists for routing ops it’s worth getting on them earlier as you can always defer or cancel if you find you don’t need it.
2014 - Rosen Inn International, Hard Rock Hotel, Yacht club and Bay Lake Tower! Mr Bears Grand Adventure, 2015- A sneaky to DLP- Sequoia Lodge, 2016- Another WDW trip... BLT, AKL, HRH and Rosen Inn - Mr Bear takes Boris to WDW, 2022 - Taking the small fry…. Coronado spring addition, 2024 - Riding solo?
Leggibone is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List