Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 19 Jun 19, 11:23 AM  
Link to this Post
Excited6910
Imagineer

I have outstayed my welcome a few times in my local coffee place. I go in with a friend we buy drinks and breakfast and natter away for hours. Sometimes I’ll get a second drink and sometimes I won’t. We have had people ask to join us (if we’re on a table for 4) and we always say yes.

If I go in alone and sit on the sofa people often join me of if I see a big group struggling to sit together I’ll move to a smaller table for them.

So I think I’m pretty considerate of others. But I get what you mean about the people on laptops, usually on a table for 4 even if there are tables for 2 available. The staff in my local will go over and ask if tables can be shared though so that’s a good thing too.

Loved our Second “once in a lifetime" so much we're doing it again
Excited6910 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Jun 19, 11:35 AM  
Link to this Post
Omega1
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by BerkshireBugsy View Post
Norway ?
Yes - Ålesund.
Omega1 is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Jun 19, 12:53 PM  
Link to this Post
mickey house
Imagineer

I was smiling in Costa this morning thinking of this thread because there were 3 blokes having a meeting about their clients with medical insurance (that they obviously sell) and giving their qclients full names out and the area they live in. I am very cautious what I say with regards using names or other info when strangers are around me, but clearly some people don't understand what client confidentiality is.

With regards interviewing people in coffee shops (or any public place), I come from the old fashion times when I only interviewed people in a quiet private office with phones turned off and a clear sign on the door saying Interview in progress - Do not disturb. I am tempted to apply for a job with a rubbsh company that interviews people in coffee shops and secretly film it as I wind them up! I really feel for people who feel they have no choice but to be subjected to this embarrassing and humiliating practice in order to get employment.
mickey house is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Jun 19, 01:37 PM  
Link to this Post
Lola
Imagineer

Lola's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
We sat in a coffee shop and listened to somebody being interviewed for a job. Have also listened to a marketing sales pitch and an obvious financial scam being pitched to someone. They didn’t fall for it luckily. However coffee shops are not offices and some discussions are intrusive and should be private. It has got ridiculous in my opinion
Lola is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Jun 19, 01:51 PM  
Link to this Post
PPM
VIP Dibber

If you do manage to get a seat near to a laptop person having an e meeting, I find it entertaining to keep on quietly tuneless whistling. This keeps his mike open so ruins conversations!
I’m bad I am, but enjoy my coffee and have some entertainment too
PPM is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Jun 19, 03:09 PM  
Link to this Post
djewkes
VIP Dibber

I find the laptop table hoggers a bit of a pain but don’t go to the Costa/Starbucks type coffee shop very often as there’s at least a dozen independent/garden centre places within about 10 miles...
However I confess to queueing while others in my party grab a table... seems silly to have 2/4/6 people in the queue... as it happens where we go there’s usually not much of a queue and enough tables... plus what’s the point of getting a drink only to find you can’t sit down with it?

May 2012 3 weeks Highgate villa, RPR & Barefoot Beach Resort
May 2010 2 weeks The Point Orlando Resort & Clearwater
djewkes is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Jun 19, 05:37 AM  
Link to this Post
duchy
Imagineer

Do you not think people visiting solo don't also feel it's silly to get a drink you can't sit down with ?
Surely the other five people with you are guilty of table hogging too ? As I said before you see it at Disney all the time too.
Maybe people are just not bothered about other people with or without a laptop ?

Originally Posted by djewkes View Post
I find the laptop table hoggers a bit of a pain but don’t go to the Costa/Starbucks type coffee shop very often as there’s at least a dozen independent/garden centre places within about 10 miles...
However I confess to queueing while others in my party grab a table... seems silly to have 2/4/6 people in the queue... as it happens where we go there’s usually not much of a queue and enough tables... plus what’s the point of getting a drink only to find you can’t sit down with it?

Edited at 05:42 AM.
duchy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Jun 19, 09:34 AM  
Link to this Post
djewkes
VIP Dibber

As I’ve said, it’s extremely rare that we visit busy places, usual places we go have lots of spare tables so it’s not a problem... and it’s far easier for 1 person to get a seat than 4 with a buggy...

May 2012 3 weeks Highgate villa, RPR & Barefoot Beach Resort
May 2010 2 weeks The Point Orlando Resort & Clearwater
djewkes is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Jun 19, 09:43 AM  
Link to this Post
duchy
Imagineer

Originally Posted by djewkes View Post
As I’ve said, it’s extremely rare that we visit busy places, usual places we go have lots of spare tables so it’s not a problem... and it’s far easier for 1 person to get a seat than 4 with a buggy...
So it's OK to do it in a group ... coffee shop or Disney ?
Strength in numbers kind of thing ?
Surely you are taking space that could have been wanted by four or five single people ahead of you in the line or even two couples though . I'm a bit lost as to how it isn't "queue jumping"
duchy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Jun 19, 09:59 AM  
Link to this Post
stevo25
Very Serious Dibber

So many things others have posted I have witnessed too. Even the financial scam/sales pyramid style con.
It all reminds me of the film Coffee Town imdb/title/tt2234025/
stevo25 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List