Notices
Disneyland California and West Coast Trip Planning Disneyland California and West Coast Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 2 Jul 19, 08:29 PM  
Link to this Post
Spider1990
First POST

Just doing Disney (and Knotts Berry)...

Hi All,

We have decided to plan a trip to Disneyland in April 2020 for my 30th Birthday however we have just brought a house and we have got a week in Disneyland Paris for Christmas. As a result money we haven't got as much money as we had hoped. I was just hoping if anyone could give us a little advice.

We initially planned 7 nights in Anaheim (5 days in Disney & 1 Knotts Berry) and then looked at 4 nights in Hollywood (With the Go LA card) however now that's looking more than what we realistically want to pay.

My questions are
1) We have never been to California before, can you really just fly to LA and do Disney and Knotts Berry and not do any of Hollywood, Santa Monica etc or is it one of them places you should really try to see?

2) If we should try and see some of it would 1 day be enough (I know we won't be able to see it all) to see the main highlights such as Hollywood Sign, Walk of Fame and Griffith Observatory?

I know there are other places to see such as San Fran & Vegas etc but I think we will plan a separate trip for these.

Thank you in advanced, we used these forums for our Florida trip and picked up so many ideas and tips.
Spider1990 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Jul 19, 09:49 PM  
Link to this Post
landandword17
Imagineer

Mobile

My 2c is no I wouldn’t fly all the way to California and just do Disney. I would keep saving and wait until I could do the area justice. We’ve spent a total of 5 weeks in California now, with 1 day in Disney and while I enjoyed it I look back and think I should have spent that 1 day elsewhere. I even think those touristy Hollywood sights are not the best of LA, something to tick off but if that’s all you do you miss the best of the city and probably won’t like it. Sort of like someone flying here from California and only going up the London eye and walking through Leicester Square. We’d probably think they were a bit mad 😆 and it definitely wouldn’t showcase London well.

But everyone’s different so hopefully you’ll get a few opinions to help you decide. Some people have no interest in cities/national parks/scenery although it sounds like you guys do if you’d like to come back in future so I’ll stick to my advice... save and come and do it right.
landandword17 is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Jul 19, 10:43 PM  
Link to this Post
mikeclark007
Serious Dibber

mikeclark007's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Mobile

I’ll be hopefully doing this in August next year. 4/5 nights Disneyland Anaheim then Orlando for 5 nights on the way home.

Knotts Berry and the 2 Disneyland parks will be adequate for my 7 year old and the wife.
mikeclark007 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Jul 19, 08:49 AM  
Link to this Post
grant_w
Imagineer

grant_w's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 2
I wouldn't worry about the touristy parts of LA, its not all that really. We went into LA on our first trip and did walk of fame and went to Santa Monica, but the second time we went we didn't even bother going into LA itself at all. So many other places that are far nicer
grant_w is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Jul 19, 11:31 AM  
Link to this Post
red cuillen
Excited about Disney

Have a look through california and west coast trip report index
Yes you can just do disneyland and Knotts. Flight prices can be as cheap as those for florida. Doing another 4 days to allow you to do all the other 'must see' sights in LA, (never thought I'd hear myself say that!) would allow you to plan a more expansive trip next time. Even with 2 or 3 weeks/months over there you won't be able to fit in everything that California has to offer so if you have to start somewhere your plan is as good as any!
Yes you can do the walk of fame, and Griffith Park and Santa Monica/Sunset blvd in one day, perhaps plan a one nighter at a hotel in SM or Burbank for your last night, it is some distance from Anaheim.
red cuillen is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Jul 19, 12:47 PM  
Link to this Post
mason1
Imagineer

mason1's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 2
DIBB Villa Reviews: 3
We’re doing a week in February. 1st time to California, and are doing 2 nights in Burbank - will do WB studios, Hollywood sign, Walk of Fame etc. Then 5 nights at Anaheim to do 4 days at Disney. I’ve booked the Castle Inn and Suites in Anaheim. Still debating the hotel for Burbank.
Old 6 Jul 19, 09:18 AM  
Link to this Post
Ben1993
Very Serious Dibber

Mobile

It depends on your interests, last time we were in Cali we just did a day in the LA area, Hollywood sign etc, then moved on to Anaheim. Next year we aren't even planning on spending time in LA, sticking to the OC with DL and the beaches before moving on to Vegas.

I agree that in terms of tourist attractions, LA isn't all that.
Old 6 Jul 19, 12:57 PM  
Link to this Post
pinkandfluffy
Very Serious Dibber

Just got home from our road trip of California. We had a few hours to kill on Thursday before the flight home - did the Hollywood sign, walk of fame and Chinese theatre in an hour or two. We only went to kill time before flying home. Ticked the box, wouldn’t go to see them again as there is so much more to the place. Knotts Berry Farm is great and if you are in to more hard-core rides I would definitely recommend six flags magic mountain. Having done Orlando a few times we were keen to experience different parks in California. We did find California more expensive than Orlando though.
pinkandfluffy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List