Notices
Car Hire & Transportation Discuss the best way of getting around Florida.

Old 15 Jul 19, 02:04 PM  
Link to this Post
Lissa_x
Excited about Disney

Mobile First time driving in Orlando advice please!

Hi

We fly out to Orlando in just over 3 weeks and it will be our first time hiring a car and driving out there and I'm starting to get really nervous about it!

I've been trying to think of everything I need to sort before we head out there and so far have the following;
Set up avis preferred
Sort visitor toll pass
Look at some route such as airport to accommodation so we have a rough idea
Look at which cars to expect in our category - full size group W

Any others I'm missing?

We are borrowing an American Tom Tom from my parents so will check that's all set up.

Also are there any good websites to look at for driving tips over there just to research what's different to here etc?

Hope that all makes sense!

Thanks
Old 15 Jul 19, 02:11 PM  
Link to this Post
Maui
Trading Disney Pins

check out tollguru
Disneyland Paris - Apr 15, May 17
Tokyo Disneyland & Shanghai Disneyland - on the bucket list
Maui is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Jul 19, 02:49 PM  
Link to this Post
mysteryjimbo
Imagineer

The important thing is to relax. All of that is optional. You can literally just turn up at the desk on the day.

The bare minimum I plan for is to take some form of GPS with me and some $$ for the toll booths which give change.

In my case, the GPS is on my phone and I have all the Florida maps downloaded in two app's (one as a backup). I also have the mapman maps as a physical option.

That said, a little preparation doesn't hurt.
Old 15 Jul 19, 02:49 PM  
Link to this Post
sasperella
Apprentice Imagineer

sasperella's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Hi
If you look in the DIBB Guidebook there are directions, tips etc.
My DD is driving this year, she had a go last year but DS was with us then and he’s more confident driving. Not going this year so DD very nervous.
Good luck. There will also be threads about driving tips.

Rosen Inn @ Pointe Orlando. Easter 2013, Sept/Oct 2015, Nov/Dec 2017
Wilderness Lodge 2018
AKL 2019, 2020, 2022. Beach Club 2023
sasperella is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Jul 19, 02:51 PM  
Link to this Post
Powlay
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 1
Guidebook Photos: 4
Im not a huge fan of the guidebook here because it takes conversation away from the forums but look here
https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/Dri...-USA-p-84.html

Do not be nervous about driving, its very simple. Its a lot more fluid than over here.

First visit for me i got lost loads of times, was meant to go to international drive went to old town! Always remember you can miss a junction and there will be another to turn around.
Old 15 Jul 19, 02:53 PM  
Link to this Post
tapley
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by Lissa_x View Post
Hi

We fly out to Orlando in just over 3 weeks and it will be our first time hiring a car and driving out there and I'm starting to get really nervous about it!

I've been trying to think of everything I need to sort before we head out there and so far have the following;
Set up avis preferred
Sort visitor toll pass

Any others I'm missing?

We are borrowing an American Tom Tom from my parents so will check that's all set up.

Also are there any good websites to look at for driving tips over there just to research what's different to here etc?

Thanks
Are you flying into Sanford or MCO and where are you staying?
tapley is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Jul 19, 02:55 PM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Originally Posted by Lissa_x View Post
Hi

Set up avis preferred
Sort visitor toll pass

Any others I'm missing?

Thanks
I think the link in Margaret's post just takes you to all the DIBB guides. This is the driving guide - apologies for a bit of self-promotion as a bit of it is from me.

https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/Dri...-USA-p-84.html

This is also a useful website

sunpass/en/about/whe...eSunPass.shtml

Tells you all you need to know about toll roads on Florida. Open the "traveller information" tab then "rental vehicles" will explain how they all charge.

Mick

EDITED - beaten to the link by 4 minutes

Edited at 02:57 PM.
mick is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Jul 19, 03:14 PM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Just to add a bit more I noticed you mentioned the visitor's toll pass. I'm sure that it's excellent if you propose using a lot of toll roads as you don't pay the car hire admin fee which maxes out with Avis at $19.75.

However you can get round all the parks and main shopping areas without going near any toll roads. In a typical 4 week holiday we probably drive around 1,500 miles on average. We don't go out of our way to avoid tolls but in that typical holiday our toll experience is only from MCO to Highgate on the 417. About $5 each way so we simply pay cash - slows us down a few seconds but we're relaxed about that.

As a PP has asked though it depends on where you're flying to and staying.

Mick
Old 15 Jul 19, 03:29 PM  
Link to this Post
chmurf
Imagineer

there are a few things you need to be very aware of when driving in FL
if you read the guides and threads linked above, you already know a lot

the most important things :

- MOVE OVER it's the law. Lots of people don't know about that. When a first responder, or emergency vehicle is parked on the shoulder, with their lights flashing, you must MOVE OVER one lane to the left, so that there is one lane between your car and the emergency vehicle. If there is no option to do so, you need to slow down to at least 20mph below posted speed limit

- STOP FOR SCHOOL BUSES : when a school bus is stopped, and has their lights flashing, you must STOP in both directions.
If you follow the bus, do not overtake, if you drive in the opposite direction you must also stop (unless there is a large grassy median between both road directions)

- TURN ON RED : you can right turn on red unless it's posted "no turn on red".
A red light, in the right lane, or right turning lane, is equal to a stop sign. You must yield to pedestrains and oncoming cars. Some red lights are photo enforced.

- Traffic lights are on the other side of the road. They are located after the intersection, not before like we know. You must stop at the line, not at the light.

- 3 or 4 way cross-roads. When a 3 or 4 way crossing has stop signs at each way, the rule is simple, cars will need to stop, and right of way goes to the first one that stopped. Cars cross the intersection in the order they arrived and stopped.

- BUCKLE UP : always wear your seatbelt

- DON'T DRINK AND DRIVE, sounds obvious, but it's also unlawful to have an open container of alcohol in a car. (don't put that half empty can of beer in the console thinking you'll finish it at the hotel.)

If you enter your car and don't find the steering wheel, nobody has stolen it, it's just that americans don't know how to build cars, and they put the wheel on the wrong side of the car ... and they also insist on driving on the wrong side of the road. Never forget that.
chmurf is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Jul 19, 04:25 PM  
Link to this Post
sotagals
Imagineer

Mobile

Just keep your left foot away from the pedals and you'll be fine
sotagals is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List