Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 30 Aug 21, 04:29 PM  
Link to this Post
Mark1994
slightly serious Dibber

Mark1994's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
Originally Posted by moofisher View Post
Just a question for anyone who has booked with their older children. This is our 5th time and the 1st since 2 of our children turned 18. One is doing an apprenticeship and one is in uni with part time job.
What do others do in terms of financial contribution to the holiday? It has been put to me that now they are adults that they pay their share of the flights/accommodation as well as their spends

I am not sure as they are our children and I love us spending the time together. We have always got them to save spending money to take but still buy things for them out there as well as pay for dinners etc..

Am curious as to what others do as it hadn't really occurred to me until now and has intrigued me!
Mine is only 9 at the moment, but in the back of my head have thought about it and would pay until she was 21 really . Although I feel she will be coming to the bank of mum and dad when booking when shes older, and likely have to treat her to upgrades and such.
Old 30 Aug 21, 04:38 PM  
Link to this Post
DisneyMemories
Apprentice Imagineer

We’d pay for flights and accommodation/meals for as long as they want to come with us.
Once they have partners - I think we’d offer to contribute an amount.

@blueste love your post.
DisneyMemories is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 Aug 21, 08:38 AM  
Link to this Post
kitjos
slightly serious Dibber

Really interesting responses .

As a couple with younger kids (6 & 8), i cant obviously answer that Q without a crystal ball (and i know my post isnt worth much being I'm not there yet, but others may relate ).

I would imagine for us, who can only really afford to go once every 3 years or so, will stop paying for ours come 18yo or so. Once school is finished and they are either attending college/ A-levels. Maybe because we have limited time to ourselves as of the ages, we both watch vlogs and see all the stuff we would love to do as a couple, the thought of doing it as just 'us' makes me feel elated and also half the cost so we could go more frequently.

Although i can see the flip of the coin, and that older/adult children that are independent in their own right, must also bring a new level to that holiday (enjoying shopping with mum, dad and son going off to do there thing...).

So mixed bag for us. We crave just us as a couple that can go, but if our dears did come with up after 18yo, im sure we would meet them in the middle with a 50/50 payment split x
kitjos is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 Aug 21, 08:40 AM  
Link to this Post
porridge
Apprentice Imagineer

We pay. My way of thinking is that if we’ve invited them to come, then we should. Also, mine are both at uni living off a student loan (plus money from us as they get the minimum amount). Once they get full time jobs, then we will ask them to contribute.
Also, the other thing that goes around my head, is that as parents, one will end up paying for various things anyway. If you make your child pay for all their holidays, car etc, then they won’t be able to save up for a house deposit and will be living with you forever. If you help them with those things then they will be able to save for a house deposit - which is what both of mine are doing at 19 and 21.
porridge is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Sep 21, 02:50 PM  
Link to this Post
Lola
Imagineer

Lola's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
We paid for DD until she was working and then she just paid her air fare and spends while she was earning lowish money. Now at the stage where she could pay us to go 😆
Lola is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List