Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 2 Sep 21, 05:22 PM  
Link to this Post
chazman88
A Guest at All-Stars

BA - Future Travel Voucher Reward Flight + 241

Hi All,

I had booked 2x Avios rewards (using a 241 voucher) LHR-MCO for late september which has obviously now been cancelled.

Im trying to work out what the best option is for me in regards to refund or Future Travel Voucher!

Is there any benefit at all to taking the FTV vs just taking the refund of Points, 241 & Taxes?

Does the FTV let you book onto a cash fare even though our original flights were reward seats?

Thanks
Old 2 Sep 21, 06:14 PM  
Link to this Post
Softy
Imagineer

If you know your new dates just call and get them to switch to them now. This way there doesn’t need to be reward availability for your new dates.

If you take the FTV your Avios, companion voucher and taxes/fees will be tied up in it. When you come to use it there will have to be reward seat availability for your new dates.

So you may as well take the refund of everything if you’re not going to book your new dates now.

The only benefit in an FTV with a companion voucher booking is if you want to extend the expiry date on the companion voucher. If you want to do that just cancel everything and book any cheap reward flight as it will tie up less Avios and less cash now, but will extend the companion voucher to the FTV expiry (which I think is sept 2023). When you come to use it, you can use it on any route, you just have to pay the extra Avios and cash.
Softy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Sep 21, 06:20 PM  
Link to this Post
munmun
Imagineer

As above if you know you dates you want and they are in the 355 day window just move the flights, there does not have to be avios availability they will convert revenue flights to Avios flights, that's what I have done
munmun is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Sep 21, 06:25 PM  
Link to this Post
chazman88
A Guest at All-Stars

Originally Posted by Softy View Post
The only benefit in an FTV with a companion voucher booking is if you want to extend the expiry date on the companion voucher. If you want to do that just cancel everything and book any cheap reward flight as it will tie up less Avios and less cash now, but will extend the companion voucher to the FTV expiry (which I think is sept 2023). When you come to use it, you can use it on any route, you just have to pay the extra Avios and cash.
Could you explain this any more? Do you have to choose a cheep reward route that it likely to get cancelled?
Old 2 Sep 21, 06:31 PM  
Link to this Post
onion2803
Apprentice Imagineer

You don’t have to rebook a flight to extend the validity of the 241 voucher - you’ve had a flight cancelled already so if you opt for the FTV, the validity of the 241, avios and taxes will run until Sept 23.

If you know you’ll use your 241 before it’s original expiry, just get a full refund or rebook new dates if they’re within 355 days as you won’t need to find reward seat availability.
onion2803 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Sep 21, 06:47 PM  
Link to this Post
Softy
Imagineer

Originally Posted by chazman88 View Post
Could you explain this any more? Do you have to choose a cheep reward route that it likely to get cancelled?
You can book any route and then voluntarily cancel for an FTV to extend the companion voucher. Eg. Heathrow to Glasgow, not many Avios and cash will be tied up with that.

As onion2803 said if extending the voucher is your goal and you’re not worried about having the cash and Avios tied up then just take an FTV now.

The biggest value is what you have now, a free hit at any date. If you refund or FTV you lose this option.
Softy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Sep 21, 07:48 PM  
Link to this Post
GillyD
Very Serious Dibber

You can book any route and then voluntarily cancel for an FTV to extend the companion voucher. Eg. Heathrow to Glasgow, not many Avios and cash will be tied up with that.

As onion2803 said if extending the voucher is your goal and you’re not worried about having the cash and Avios tied up then just take an FTV now.

The biggest value is what you have now, a free hit at any date. If you refund or FTV you lose this option.

Just to confirm and make sure I understand correctly, I have a companion voucher due to expire in February 2022 and wont be travelling before then.
If I book a one way flight for 2 people using this voucher from London City to Glasgow on 4 October it will cost 4750 avios and £35.
I can then cancel this booking and request an FTV ?
Are the Avios put back into my account or are they held as part of the FTV?
Do I forfeit the £35 as the charge for cancelling ?
Or is this held as part of the FTV and credited towards any future booking?
More importantly, my companion voucher would then be extended until September 2023?
Can BA refuse to offer an FTV if I request one ?
GillyD is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Sep 21, 08:33 PM  
Link to this Post
Softy
Imagineer

Originally Posted by GillyD View Post
Just to confirm and make sure I understand correctly, I have a companion voucher due to expire in February 2022 and wont be travelling before then.
If I book a one way flight for 2 people using this voucher from London City to Glasgow on 4 October it will cost 4750 avios and £35.
I can then cancel this booking and request an FTV ? yes
Are the Avios put back into my account or are they held as part of the FTV? Voucher, cash and Avios are held in the FTV
Do I forfeit the £35 as the charge for cancelling ? There’s no charge when requesting an FTV
Or is this held as part of the FTV and credited towards any future booking?
More importantly, my companion voucher would then be extended until September 2023? flown by sept 2023 at the moment. Obviously this could be extended again
Can BA refuse to offer an FTV if I request one ? No
Replied in red in the quote.

Further, most importantly, the passengers booked now, have to be the same when you come to use the FTV.

Edited at 08:40 PM.
Old 2 Sep 21, 09:02 PM  
Link to this Post
GillyD
Very Serious Dibber

Replied in red in the quote.

Further, most importantly, the passengers booked now, have to be the same when you come to use the FTV.
Thank you very much for this invaluable information. Very much appreciated. I was prepared to let this companion voucher lapse but as it takes some cost to get a voucher and I can definitely use this by September 2023.
GillyD is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Sep 21, 09:12 PM  
Link to this Post
Softy
Imagineer

Originally Posted by GillyD View Post
Thank you very much for this invaluable information. Very much appreciated. I was prepared to let this companion voucher lapse but as it takes some cost to get a voucher and I can definitely use this by September 2023.
No problem. There’s a wealth of information over on flyertalk on what’s possible with BA.