Notices
Car Hire & Transportation Discuss the best way of getting around Florida.

Old 11 Oct 21, 12:01 AM  
Link to this Post
The Wardles
Having Dinner with Goofy

Price comparison 2019 to 2022

Just a funny thing to post, to show just how much the USA are scamming drivers at Alamo car rental. In May 2019 we had a Standard SUV / Pickup allocated at £533.96 for two weeks, we hired the Ford F150 top of the range with reversing camera etc...

Came to book for next May 2022 and it is £2900...

And this will be the reason our airplane tickets are now for sale

Won't be back to the USA until the price of care hire is back down to a regular rate, whether that means in 5 yrs or so...

It is funny, nowhere in Europe have the same hike in price on cars, only the US of A

Edited at 12:05 AM.
The Wardles is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Oct 21, 10:45 AM  
Link to this Post
silver_age
Excited about Disney

The increase in prices and the reasons for them have been well covered on other threads.

It's also not correct to say it is only the US. We were going to hire a car to take the family down to London for my daughter's graduation back in June. I wanted a Ford Galaxy (or similar) 7-seater so we could all travel together. The best price I found after much scouring was over £100 for a single day. So about the same price as the US companies are charging in Florida.
silver_age is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Oct 21, 11:00 AM  
Link to this Post
Softy
Imagineer

Most threads in this forum over last 12 months have been about the prices, why they’re high and what to do to find the near normal prices.

It’s not just Alamo, all of them sold off stock when covid hit and are now struggling to get new cars in. They literally don’t have the supply to satisfy the demand, hence the prices.

If you shop around like the rest of us have been doing, you’ll end up with a near normal price.

You’ve jumped the gun if you have seriously cancelled your trip because of the price you found. If you bothered to read a thread or 2 in here, you’d have seen all the tips and tricks to getting a deal.

Edited at 11:03 AM.
Softy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Oct 21, 12:17 PM  
Link to this Post
Warkman58
Imagineer

The other question us do you really need a car?
If on site then all you are doing us paying to park it.
Price up taxis and Uber.
Or look at other suppliers of car rental and a different model type.
Villa Formosa Gardens, Flights BA/Aer Lingus
20th August 2016 to 3rd September 2016,
Warkman58 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Oct 21, 12:47 PM  
Link to this Post
alibeau
VIP Dibber

I booked SUV hire via Andy at DFCH over the weekend...

For three weeks its about £200 more than I had hoped to pay for a model down from what we usually book, so £200 more for a lesser model, not great but it's not enough to deter us from travelling next summer and in the meantime I will continue to monitor prices in hopes of finding a better deal...

Ali x
alibeau is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Oct 21, 01:00 PM  
Link to this Post
thatdavieguy
Imagineer

Prices will come down over time as they start to get enough stock in, it's priced that way to put people off and only make a booking if your desperate.
Old 11 Oct 21, 01:21 PM  
Link to this Post
RC22
Very Serious Dibber

A few weeks ago I paid about £350 to hire a battered old Nissan micra for a week! This was in Rhodes, Greece.

I used to get a intermediate SUV just a few months old for a fortnight in the USA for the same price so it's not like Europe is cheap by comparison at all.

Shop around and be savvy - I've managed to get a 7 seater van for £520 for a fortnight next August. Look around the threads on here for tips and advice.
March 2010 I-Drive Quality Inn International Nov 2011 I-Drive Homewood Suites Oct 2012 The Dibb fave Coral's Villa Lindfields Aug 2013 Blue Heron Resort Aug 2014 NY & Orlando Cane Island 10yr Wedding Anniversary., Oct 2016 Windsor Palms, Royal Pacific and Disney Dream Cruise , Aug 2017 Emerald Island Oct 2019 Emerald Island & Vero Beach Aug 22 Glenbrook villa The First Bite That Gets You Hooked. Trip Report
RC22 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Oct 21, 07:33 PM  
Link to this Post
JP81
Apprentice Imagineer

JP81's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
The prices have been like this for nigh on 2 years!
Don't know if you've notice, but transatlantic travel, demand for rental cars and pretty much everything has fallen through the floor?
It won't be 3grand for a pickup in 6 months.
Virgin Atlantic are offering vehicles for a 3rd of the price of Alamo Direct.
With Free Cancellation if it drops further.
defo jumped the Gun with your decision...
May 2023 Rosen Int'l
JP81 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List