Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 29 Aug 21, 12:51 PM  
Link to this Post
duchy
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Lindaelaine View Post
I did read your post but was commenting on your middle ground suggestion, you have every right to disagree as unlike you I have never flown upper but as far as comfort is concerned I know where I would rather sit, child or no child.

That’s the point, parents travelling with children aren’t going to be as comfortable in Upper if a child needs attending to or comforting when the seatbelt sign is on the way seats are configured. That causes discomfort for the child, parent and the childless traveller if that causes the child distress.
Age of children , configuration of the business cabin all play a part.
duchy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Aug 21, 01:03 PM  
Link to this Post
discoclare
Excited about Disney

Well we disagree on this in my household!

My opinion: people who are paying for Upper Class/First etc shouldn't have to hear or put up with other people's small kids. Despite how well behaved your own kids are, the airline cannot ask for "well behaved children only in certain cabins" and some children aren't well behaved on planes. Although my kids are generally well behaved, I do remember one flight back at around 10pm from Spain, when my 2 year old had a full on tantrum upon boarding the flight as she didn't want to wear her seatbelt. Obviously she was shattered and also a toddler (and then on takeoff, promptly fell asleep for the rest of the flight) but I would be mortified if that happened in club or first (I was pretty mortified anyway). Now, this is all a bit hypocritical as my dad worked for BA for many years and I myself did fly First and Club from a very small age (often not sitting next to my parents), I think BA now have a minimum age limit for staff children to fly in upper cabins, but in the 70s they didn't.

My partner disagrees with me and thinks, if you can afford it and want to pay then you should be able to buy whichever class of cabin you want for your kids.

Having said all of that, I think on a flight to Orlando, it should be expected that kids will be in all cabins of the plane!
discoclare is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Aug 21, 01:08 PM  
Link to this Post
keith1973
Imagineer

We fly upper and business all the time TBH if there are children on a flight to Orlando what else should I expect. I’ve never been bothered by the kids I’m more bothered by the type of person that would say I don’t pay all this money to be bothered by kids. Your on a flight to Orlando what do you expect. It’s your money do what you want I’d recommend BA business as you’ll be able to sit with your kids where as with upper your more separated

Edited at 01:12 PM.
keith1973 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Aug 21, 01:14 PM  
Link to this Post
duchy
Imagineer

Originally Posted by keith1973 View Post
We fly upper and business all the time TBH if there are children on a flight to Orlando what else should I expect. I’ve never been bothered by the kids I’m more bothered by the type of person that would say I don’t pay all this money to be bothered by kids. Your on a flight to Orlando what do you expect. It’s your money do what you want
Indeed , if I’m honest there is no way on this planet I’d book a direct flight to Orlando in school holiday time now I longer travel with children. In any cabin ! Personally I’d rather fly indirect on less family heavy routes. For others direct is more important of course.
duchy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Aug 21, 01:24 PM  
Link to this Post
DisneySarah
Apprentice Imagineer

DisneySarah's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by munmun View Post
Frankly loud overbearing entitled adults are more obnoxious than most children but you don't get too many of them.

We pay for the flight, we fly in the seat we choose, we try to be respectful of others. Don't worry choose whatever seat you want.
I totally agree with this. I’ve been more annoyed by other adults than I ever have by children. That might be because I’m a parent of young children myself and have always worked with children, though 😂.

I’m very much of the opinion that if you pay the money, you sit wherever you like. Children are entitled to be comfortable too. We took our 3 (almost 4) and 6 year old in BA Club World earlier this month and it was great. I have to say that we have travelled in economy up until this year, because we felt like we wouldn’t get the most out of the experience until the children were relatively good at entertaining themselves, but that was nothing to do with other passengers.

Edited at 01:26 PM.
DisneySarah is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Aug 21, 01:25 PM  
Link to this Post
cornishfrogboy
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by discoclare View Post
Well we disagree on this in my household!

My opinion: people who are paying for Upper Class/First etc shouldn't have to hear or put up with other people's small kids. Despite how well behaved your own kids are, the airline cannot ask for "well behaved children only in certain cabins" and some children aren't well behaved on planes. Although my kids are generally well behaved, I do remember one flight back at around 10pm from Spain, when my 2 year old had a full on tantrum upon boarding the flight as she didn't want to wear her seatbelt. Obviously she was shattered and also a toddler (and then on takeoff, promptly fell asleep for the rest of the flight) but I would be mortified if that happened in club or first (I was pretty mortified anyway). Now, this is all a bit hypocritical as my dad worked for BA for many years and I myself did fly First and Club from a very small age (often not sitting next to my parents), I think BA now have a minimum age limit for staff children to fly in upper cabins, but in the 70s they didn't.

My partner disagrees with me and thinks, if you can afford it and want to pay then you should be able to buy whichever class of cabin you want for your kids.

Having said all of that, I think on a flight to Orlando, it should be expected that kids will be in all cabins of the plane!
I never tug my forelock to anybody, certainly not those who choose to pay four times more for their flight than I do.. and to the same location at the same time. I would travel in the hold if it saved money that I can then spend when I get there.. or better still, towards the next trip.
The difference in cost between a coach class ticket and a first class one x 4 on the exact same plane will almost exactly pay for our next, within School Hols, 3 week multi city vacation including spends!

I have carefully perused detail of upper class . Nowhere does it mention a dress code, a bar on age basis or a code of appropriate behaviour whilst on board that is any different to that of coach or premium economy. Therefore the expectation re child behaviour can only be identical.

I invariably travel coach and would merely upgrade to exit row, were I a multi millionaire. If I don’t see value in something, I don’t buy it, whether an ice cream, a glass of wine or a first class flight ticket. Others do perceive the value and do buy, that is simply a different opinion and one to which they are entitled.

Others fly in shorts and walk around in bare feet, putting bare skin against seats and floor(including in the toilets). I dress smartly.
Others get blathered and make a total asses of themselves. I drink maybe two drinks on a longhaul, regardless of whether they are free.
Others do a number two in the toilets, well aware of a queue behind them. I would never dream of it other than in an emergency.

All of the above frustrate me and no doubt occur throughout the plane in all classes. Being in first does not make you socially a better or more ‘couth’ person in any way whatever. It simply means that you place a greater value on upgrading the travel experience than I and many others do.

Children have as much right to sit in first as anybody else. The money is paid and the seat is theirs. It is about money, not social expectation.

There at times seems great snobbery attached to turning left as you board a plane. In my opinion, it is very, very misplaced. Some dregs of society turn left and some lovely people turn right. Throughout life, I have found that money does not equate to class.
You could enter first class to find a Kardayshun on your left and Liam Gallagher on your right.

Edited at 09:55 PM.
cornishfrogboy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Aug 21, 01:35 PM  
Link to this Post
Lindaelaine
Imagineer

Originally Posted by keith1973 View Post
We fly upper and business all the time TBH if there are children on a flight to Orlando what else should I expect. I’ve never been bothered by the kids I’m more bothered by the type of person that would say I don’t pay all this money to be bothered by kids. Your on a flight to Orlando what do you expect. It’s your money do what you want I’d recommend BA business as you’ll be able to sit with your kids where as with upper your more separated
You can pay for the privilege of a luxury cabin and seat but you can't pay for the privilege of peace and quiet as that's never guaranteed, unless of course you hire a private jet
There was a thread ages ago about having adult only flights, I have a feeling it was deleted for getting a bit heated. Even with adult only you can get boozy/unruly passengers give me kids and babies any day
Aug 2018...Westridge. Aug 2019... Miami & Solterra Resort
Lindaelaine is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Aug 21, 01:35 PM  
Link to this Post
loldis
Imagineer

Flying to Orlando in school holidays, I expect children in every cabin. So wouldn't even blink at a family in Upper. But I agree with the points around the cabin config, I wouldn't find it very practical with young children as you won't always be able to get to them easily. So on that basis, I would probably choose PE instead. And if it's the old Virgin PE product, I actually prefer this to the Upper config anyway.

And as others have mentioned, the worst experiences I've had on flight related to other passengers have all been entitled/drunk adults. I'll admit I'm no fan of kids, but I would rather fly with a plane full of them than even one of those adults.
loldis is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Aug 21, 01:42 PM  
Link to this Post
g1970
Imagineer

g1970's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 5

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 3
Originally Posted by cornishfrogboy View Post
Others do a number two in the toilets, well aware of a queue behind them. I would never dream of it other than in an emergency.
This made me laugh. I dont think anyone has ever given the queue a 2nd thought if nature called. Are you seriously suggesting people 'hold it in' for 8 hours

I'd rather hold my breath for a few mins after someone had visited the loo...than sit behind someone dropping silent ones throughout a flight
g1970 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Aug 21, 01:47 PM  
Link to this Post
Mqt
Apprentice Imagineer

My grandchildren have flown UC several times and have always been well-behaved.

10 of us are in Jamaica at the moment and we flew out UC. The 4 children (ages 3-8) were no trouble at all. They weren’t noisy and ‘paired up’, playing with the activity bits we’d brought onboard.

We’ve flown UC with children as young as 13 months and it’s possible we’ll have 6 with us, including a 6 month old next summer.

I think as long as the parents/carers are courteous and mindful of the needs of others and take time to make sure the children are kept busy and are not being ‘annoying’ then you can’t do any more. The children in our family know how to behave well and we can trust that apart from an unforeseen circumstance, there won’t be a problem.

Indeed we’ve had comments from the Virgin crew saying how nicely behaved they’ve been.
Mqt is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List