Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 3 Sep 21, 12:54 PM  
Link to this Post
discoclare
Excited about Disney

Do you think over 12s will have to be vaccinated when US opens up?

Yes, yes, I know that nobody knows, but just wondering what people's opinions are.
The US are currently recommending vaccinations for over 12s. We really want to go to Florida next summer if it is open. Partner and I are both vaccinated but we have an 11 year old who will be 12 next summer. Even if the UK is vaccinating 12 year olds by then, her birthday is late in the school year so there wouldn't be time for her to be 14 days clear of second dose by August, when we would want to go.

I just have no idea what is likely to happen. Will the US only allow 12 years plus who are double vaccinated or exempt? Will they allow unvaccinated 12 year olds with extra testing? Maybe nobody will care about vaccination status by next summer?
I really don't know what to do in terms of planning and booking stuff. We were very much hoping to rent my colleague's DVC at Boardwalk from her, but I just feel it's too uncertain. On the other hand if we wait and she doesn't make the booking when it opens, there might not be any availability left.
discoclare is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Sep 21, 12:59 PM  
Link to this Post
Jakey Neverland
Imagineer

I hope so! I am booked already and will be in the same position. My DD is 12 in June and we are booked August.
Old 3 Sep 21, 01:04 PM  
Link to this Post
DisneyDreamx
Excited about Disney

My daughter is 12 and we hopefully go next August but I'm hoping that she doesn't have to be vaccinated as I'm not 100% with her having it.

Just to add I'm not anti-vax!

Edited at 01:05 PM.
DisneyDreamx is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Sep 21, 01:10 PM  
Link to this Post
SleepingBeauty
Imagineer

The only thing that has been mentioned is that people will have to be fully vaccinated to travel here, "with very few exceptions". I think that will include teens, but of course no one really knows until the announcement is made.
SleepingBeauty is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Sep 21, 01:14 PM  
Link to this Post
alansmed
Proud to wear my Ears

Disney Cruise line is requiring all over 12s to be fully vaccinated when they resume later this month. I know the US govt doesn't take their advice from Disney but not a great sign for anyone who wants to take the non vaccinated children on a cruise anytime soon.
alansmed is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Sep 21, 01:25 PM  
Link to this Post
legallyblonde
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by DisneyDreamx View Post
My daughter is 12 and we hopefully go next August but I'm hoping that she doesn't have to be vaccinated as I'm not 100% with her having it.

Just to add I'm not anti-vax!
Exactly the same. DS 12 this month. Booked to go next august and don’t really want him to have it. Not anti-vax but I am worried about long term affects that we don’t know about yet. If the US won’t let him in, then we may not be going again!
legallyblonde is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Sep 21, 01:27 PM  
Link to this Post
State27
Imagineer

And to open a can of worms as we are due to all get a booster at 8 months will you only be deemed fully vaxxed until 8 months from last vaccination 🙈

Edited at 01:34 PM.
State27 is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Sep 21, 01:31 PM  
Link to this Post
Briggykins
Helping Minnie

Originally Posted by legallyblonde View Post
Exactly the same. DS 12 this month. Booked to go next august and don’t really want him to have it. Not anti-vax but I am worried about long term affects that we don’t know about yet. If the US won’t let him in, then we may not be going again!
If it makes you feel better, a vaccine has never caused long term side effects...the longest time a side effect of any vaccine has taken to appear is six weeks. More info here.

Doesn't help with availability though, but if the JCVI decide to go ahead with vaccinating 12 year olds then I'd take advantage personally.
Briggykins is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Sep 21, 01:33 PM  
Link to this Post
legallyblonde
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by Briggykins View Post
If it makes you feel better, a vaccine has never caused long term side effects...the longest time a side effect of any vaccine has taken to appear is six weeks. More info here.

Doesn't help with availability though, but if the JCVI decide to go ahead with vaccinating 12 year olds then I'd take advantage personally.
Thanks. I will do my research on it and haven’t discounted it at all. I just feel I need to know more when it comes to our children. I do worry about fertility for some reason more than anything else.
legallyblonde is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Sep 21, 02:05 PM  
Link to this Post
Imagineer

123's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 1
I can't see them alloaing kids in unvaccinated whilst they are vaccinating their own over 12s

It's possible (as we currently are only doing 16+) that they might make allowances for 12-15 yr old as they can't actually get the vaccine in the UK
123 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List