Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 6 Sep 21, 08:26 AM  
Link to this Post
Missin_Disney
Apprentice Imagineer

Madrid Stopover

Hi guys

Just wondering if 1hr 15mins is enough time to change flights in Madrid?

We are looking at flying back through there to Dublin from MIA August next year

Both flights are with Iberia / BA Codeshare

Any info is a big help (hoping to book today! )
Missin_Disney is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Sep 21, 09:54 AM  
Link to this Post
Peko
Imagineer

Yes, it is enough time, though obviously not huge contingency for delays on the transatlantic flight. The MIA-MAD flight will arrive to T4S (satellite), the MAD-DUB flight could depart from either T4S or the main T4 building. Minimum connecting time for connections in the same building is 45 mins, and 55 mins for connecting between T4 buildings.

Clearly it is quicker if you don’t have to transit to T4, but either way you should not have to clear immigration, since this is a non-Schengen to non-Schengen country connection. There should be a security check and usually if the onward flight goes from T4 main, Iberia transfers non-Schengen (Dublin in this case) passengers over by bus to avoid immigration.

Caveat that although I have connected at MAD many times, I haven’t done so since the pandemic started (last time was early 2020), so the above assumes no material changes to procedure. The long haul will definitely arrive to T4S, since all the widebody jets using T4 operate there and it is the location of the main immigration hall.
Peko is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Sep 21, 09:37 PM  
Link to this Post
Missin_Disney
Apprentice Imagineer

Brilliant thank you
Missin_Disney is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Sep 21, 09:38 PM  
Link to this Post
Redriva
Imagineer

I wouldn't risk that i'm afraid.. have been to that airport twice and it was a riot both times.. chaos everywhere :-/
Old 6 Sep 21, 10:06 PM  
Link to this Post
Peko
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Redriva View Post
I wouldn't risk that i'm afraid.. have been to that airport twice and it was a riot both times.. chaos everywhere :-/
It’s a busy airport with some long walks and some of the signage was not ideal in the past, but I think any “chaos” would very much depend on what kind of flight/connection you were doing. I’ve been through MAD airport more times than I can remember (well over 50 times in the last decade or so), and have never missed a flight or connection due to any problem caused by the airport. It could happen, of course, but my sample size is reasonable.

The biggest connection risk would be if it were necessary to clear immigration on a short connection, which is not the case for the OP. The other potential issues at MAD T4 are baggage claim (slow if you land at T4S) and check-in (sometimes very busy), but neither of these impact the OP either.

Nothing is ever guaranteed, but my view is that the only material risk to making this connection is a delay on the transatlantic flight. The connections security for non-Schengen connections at T4S is a dedicated facility and unlikely to be very busy.

I would only add that with any connecting itinerary via a third country, in pandemic (and probably post-pandemic) times, any Covid-related requirements imposed by the government of that country on transit passengers (eg testing, vaccination) also need to be considered.
Peko is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Sep 21, 10:09 PM  
Link to this Post
baggies
Very Serious Dibber

baggies's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
My DH with 3 others on the same booking reference but checked in independently, did a 1h5min change in madrid out bound, they caught the plane easily enough unfortunately only 2 lots of the cases made it
Oct 2005 DLP Newport Bay Hotel
May 2004 i-Drive, Oct 1995 i-Drive

Edited at 10:12 PM.
baggies is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List