Notices
Car Hire & Transportation Discuss the best way of getting around Florida.

Old 22 Sep 21, 07:31 PM  
Link to this Post
mike4scuba
VIP Dibber

mike4scuba's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Electric car hire

Wonder if the car hire companies will start replenishing their low car stocks with electric cars.
Would be a good way to test drive for a few weeks
mike4scuba is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Sep 21, 07:55 PM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
Absolutely no chance. Would you really want the hassle of finding a charging point and paying for it?

Let’s be honest electric cars as they stand today are a gimmick.

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976
Mr Tom Morrow is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Sep 21, 08:13 PM  
Link to this Post
yozza1977
Getting Excited

Originally Posted by Mr Tom Morrow View Post
Absolutely no chance. Would you really want the hassle of finding a charging point and paying for it?

Let’s be honest electric cars as they stand today are a gimmick.
Sorry to disagree, but electric cars are in no way a gimmick. I've had one for the past 5-6 years and can travel 300 miles between a charge, that pretty much covers any drive I would want to do in the UK. at 5p overnight to charge it costs a fraction of an equivalent ICE to run.

Would I want to hire one in the US for a disney holiday - not without some research in charging points( although I've seens all disney parks have chargers in the car parks, as does mall of the millenia) or hiring a Tesla.
yozza1977 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Sep 21, 08:17 PM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
I agree you have a good deal there on the face of it.

But where is the electricity coming from to charge hundreds of thousands of these cars?
Where are the precious metals coming from to make the batteries?
Where are we going to dispose of these highly toxic batteries after their circa 7 year life?

And that’s just a few issues. Sad to say they aren’t ready for the mass market yet due to their cost and a host of other issues.

Mr Tom Morrow is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Sep 21, 08:37 PM  
Link to this Post
yozza1977
Getting Excited

I agree you have a good deal there on the face of it.

But where is the electricity coming from to charge hundreds of thousands of these cars?
Where are the precious metals coming from to make the batteries?
Where are we going to dispose of these highly toxic batteries after their circa 7 year life?

And that’s just a few issues. Sad to say they aren’t ready for the mass market yet due to their cost and a host of other issues.
Without taking this thread too far off topic, but just to dispel some myths:
1) Back in December, National Grid's transport decarbonisation director, Graeme Cooper, said he was confident the grid can support the extra demand for electricity the transition will create. 'There is definitely enough energy and the grid can cope easily,'

2) Battery manufacturers are changing the composition of batteries - if you have the time I would watch Tesla's battery day presentatiion - it's eye opening for developments in the next 18 months

3) A few companies advertise their million mile battery. If the average driver cover 10-12k miles per year that is 80+ years - the car will give up first! Also batteries even when they have degraded to the point they can't power a car for 100+ miles still have a great use as stationary storage - ie in a house to charge with solar or offset peak/ off peak costs - the Tesla powerwall does this (although uses new batteries at the moment). Finally the previous CTO at Tesla has set up Redwood Materials with its main focus is the recycle all materials for apent batteries.

Edited at 08:38 PM.
yozza1977 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Sep 21, 08:44 PM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Well I have so much faith in electric I have just ordered another 6 cylinder 3 litre diesel for delivery by Xmas

Old 22 Sep 21, 08:47 PM  
Link to this Post
tmwalsh
Apprentice Imagineer

Well I have so much faith in electric I have just ordered another 6 cylinder 3 litre diesel for delivery by Xmas
Id rather live in the 21st century and get 220 miles for a fraction over 1.5p a mile.
tmwalsh is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Sep 21, 08:49 PM  
Link to this Post
tmwalsh
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by tmwalsh View Post
Id rather live in the 21st century and get 220 miles for a fraction over 1.5p a mile.
Scratch that. Last charge was 1.2p a mile
tmwalsh is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Sep 21, 08:54 PM  
Link to this Post
Trusty ian
Dibbing with Tink

Unfortunately at the moment there are 1000's of faulty Expensive batteries stored in warehouses around the UK and worldwide. Many manufacturers have had issues with battery's and had to replace them after only 10miles of use at the extreme . Not quite a million miles just yet. Where I work we alone have been replaced Probably 500 so far at £8k a go battery cost alone. No sign of recycling those any time soon.
Trusty ian is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Sep 21, 08:55 PM  
Link to this Post
Trusty ian
Dibbing with Tink

Originally Posted by tmwalsh View Post
Scratch that. Last charge was 1.2p a mile
What do you drive to get that ?
Trusty ian is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List