Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 3 Aug 19, 07:13 PM  
Link to this Post
Warkman58
Imagineer

What do you want to be compensated for?
Villa Formosa Gardens, Flights BA/Aer Lingus
20th August 2016 to 3rd September 2016,
Warkman58 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Aug 19, 07:55 PM  
Link to this Post
galaxyflorida
Apprentice Imagineer

We were also delayed on 18/7, we were flying YYZ-JFK-MAN. The first flight we were an hour late leaving plus we had to circle for half an hour due to weather in JFK. The second flight we pushed back half an hour late and were taxiing for nearly 2 and a half hours! We caught the time up in the flight so no compensation, not that we had any loses anyway.

I would think you have a claim for compensation as you started in the EU on a EU airline,
(Supposing you’re booked on one ticket?)

Orlando I-Drive April 2010, July 2017
New York and Washington October 2016
New York and Toronto July 2019
galaxyflorida is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Aug 19, 08:12 PM  
Link to this Post
mumsthebigkid
Stuck in the Tower of Terror

Mobile

Originally Posted by galaxyflorida View Post
We were also delayed on 18/7, we were flying YYZ-JFK-MAN. The first flight we were an hour late leaving plus we had to circle for half an hour due to weather in JFK. The second flight we pushed back half an hour late and were taxiing for nearly 2 and a half hours! We caught the time up in the flight so no compensation, not that we had any loses anyway.

I would think you have a claim for compensation as you started in the EU on a EU airline,
(Supposing you’re booked on one ticket?)
JFK was a nightmare that day. I even have photos of screen delay updates, Hope you had a good holiday once there ☺️

Yes, the ticket was booked as a through ticket (one ticket) with virgin and they kept us updated with each delay time update via text message (have kept them all). I will contact virgin of course, but I would like to get as fully armed as possible prior to calling them as I have a feeling they will try use the excuse non EU departure location and non EU airline in US.
mumsthebigkid is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Aug 19, 08:20 PM  
Link to this Post
mumsthebigkid

Mobile

Originally Posted by Warkman58 View Post
What do you want to be compensated for?
The cost of the nights stay in Disney which was not cheap which we did not actually use. I was fully aware the delay is not down to Disney so was unfair to ask them on arrival to refund this amount.

Delays happen and I am mindful of this based on weather and aircraft tech issues, however when a delay is further contributed due to ground staff unable to coordinate aircraft movement and out of hours crew, then the cost, in my opinion, should not be passed to a consumer.
mumsthebigkid is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Aug 19, 08:28 PM  
Link to this Post
galaxyflorida
Apprentice Imagineer

See this on the UK CAA website: caa/News/CAA-s-enforce...for-consumers/

“The ruling means passengers of non-EU airlines, who had experienced a delay on the first leg of a flight, which caused them to miss a connecting flight and, as a result, arrived at their final destination at least three hours late can claim compensation of up to €600 euros whether the final destination is within or outside the EU.”

Orlando I-Drive April 2010, July 2017
New York and Washington October 2016
New York and Toronto July 2019
galaxyflorida is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Aug 19, 09:04 PM  
Link to this Post
Disney Dreamer
Very Serious Dibber

Disney Dreamer's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 2
Certainly if you've booked a through ticket and the delay is not outwith the carrier's control, ie weather etc, then you should be entitled to compensation through EU 261. You cannot claim for the lost nights accommodation costs though, this would need to be claimed through your travel insurance.
Disney Dreamer is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Aug 19, 09:14 PM  
Link to this Post
mumsthebigkid

Mobile

Originally Posted by Disney Dreamer View Post
Certainly if you've booked a through ticket and the delay is not outwith the carrier's control, ie weather etc, then you should be entitled to compensation through EU 261. You cannot claim for the lost nights accommodation costs though, this would need to be claimed through your travel insurance.
Many thanks for this. I had a feeling this may be the case via the insurance route. I will speak to the insurance company and try to establish what the procedure is?

The delay was a contribution of weather knock on from previous day, followed by lack of ground staff unable to move aircraft off and on to stand, then knock on of crew going out of hours due to this.
Old 3 Aug 19, 09:35 PM  
Link to this Post
Disney Dreamer
Very Serious Dibber

Disney Dreamer's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 2
Lack of ground staff and crew going over hours would qualify for compensation as this is not "extraordinary circumstances". Direct weather conditions at take off airport are, weather conditions at another airport are not, eg effecting take off of a plane coming in from somewhere else which has a knock on effect on your flight. Hope this makes sense.
Disney Dreamer is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Aug 19, 05:56 AM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by galaxyflorida View Post
See this on the UK CAA website: caa/News/CAA-s-enforce...for-consumers/

“The ruling means passengers of non-EU airlines, who had experienced a delay on the first leg of a flight, which caused them to miss a connecting flight and, as a result, arrived at their final destination at least three hours late can claim compensation of up to €600 euros whether the final destination is within or outside the EU.”
This is not what happened though, they did not experience a delay on the first leg, they arrived on time. I cannot see how a US airline operating a flight within the US could be forced to comply with EU rules.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Aug 19, 07:53 AM  
Link to this Post
Ellelledee
Imagineer

Mobile

A couple of years ago we flew back from JFK and were sat on the runway over 4 hours before we took off. Think there had been a bit of a weather delay earlier which caused a backlog but it took us over 4 hours to taxi. It was awful it was a really old plane with no IFE and it had been pouring down getting on and with the plane door opened it had rained in and the carpets were soaked. A lot of passengers had been out of the tarmac to board and were also soaked so were not happy - all in all it was an awful experience.
The thing was when in the air we made “good time” and landed with less than 4 hours difference to what we should’ve landed. Someone told me that they sort of add time on to the expected arrival time for such circumstances - sneaky.
Ellelledee is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List