Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 31 Jul 20, 09:43 AM  
Link to this Post
Galaxygirl1993
Earning More Ears

Refund on Travel Insurance?

Apologies if this post is in the wrong category.

In March 2020 organised single trip Travel Insurance with RAC- black cover. Recently our flights to Florida in September have been cancelled.

I phoned RAC this morning to ask the question regarding the refund of £150 for the premium (3 of us) and they confirmed as it is outside of the 14 days cooling off period, they will not refund.

Does this sound correct? Their T's and C's confirm they would refund in an exceptional circumstance ie death of a party - however if the flights are not running, and I therefore cannot go, I will not need the travel insurance.

If it does sound right, please let me know. If anyone has managed to pursue this further and obtain a refund please also let me know.
Galaxygirl1993 is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 Jul 20, 09:45 AM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
Sorry to say but why should they refund you?

The fact the vacation has now been cancelled isn't their fault.

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976
Mr Tom Morrow is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 Jul 20, 10:03 AM  
Link to this Post
sasperella
Apprentice Imagineer

sasperella's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
I feel your pain. Took out insurance with my bank £160 for me(Medical) for September. We moved holiday to end of 2021 so hoped they would just change dates.
No joy! It’s a yearly one so will have to renew Nov this year and again next year will be still covered for Covid as original booking was before pandemic.
That means I’ll have paid 3x for 1 holiday! We’ll see.😩

Rosen Inn @ Pointe Orlando. Easter 2013, Sept/Oct 2015, Nov/Dec 2017
Wilderness Lodge 2018
AKL 2019, 2020, 2022. Beach Club 2023
sasperella is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 Jul 20, 10:03 AM  
Link to this Post
Ingram01
Helping Minnie

Some insurers will refund and others won't depending on their T&Cs. Columbus Direct refunded our policy when they couldn't cover our rescheduled dates.

However, AA have been providing you cover since you purchased the policy. For example, if you had an accident before your trip and had to cancel, you would have likely claimed cancellation from them.
Ingram01 is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 Jul 20, 11:03 AM  
Link to this Post
Galaxygirl1993
Earning More Ears

Mobile

MrTomMorrow- As I said, i thought seems as I was not going and would not be using the travel insurance then I was wondering if I were due a refund.

Ingram01- very good point that I did not think of, thank you for pointing it out, makes sense
Galaxygirl1993 is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 Jul 20, 11:19 AM  
Link to this Post
Firekat
VIP Dibber

Think I was very lucky.

We had a policy with Virgin for our August 2020 trip, when I rescheduled for Aug 2021 I asked if they could amend the dates, they said as they had suspended insurance sales they couldn't do this.

The man I spoke to at the insurance when I was considering recheduling, told me they wouldn't be able to amend the dates but that I might get 80% refund. Which I felt was reasonable as they had covered us from taking the policy out had anything happened that meant we couldn't go.

After I rescheduled I emailed them and they agreed to refund 100% This has now been paid into my account.

On top of this I had done quidco cashback, which I didn't think would go through as it didn't track, but it has now shown up on my Quidco account so an extra £15 something.
Firekat is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 Jul 20, 12:14 PM  
Link to this Post
JanetteP
Imagineer

I've been offered the option to cancel my travel insurance which renewed on 1st May 2020. I can have a pro rata refund for 3 months, and take it out again after 3 months, providing I haven't made a claim since renewal, and don’t wish to retain cancellation cover due to COVID-19 for any existing trip I booked before 14th March 2020. I have taken the option to have a refund for 3 months. This is with AXA PPP.

Janette
Dreamy Corner June 23, Potter’s Villa May 22, Shamu Villa Sep 22,AKL, HRH Lakeside Haven Sep 19, Lakeside Haven RPR May 19. White Blossom & Viburnum Villa Aug 18. SSR, Aurora Villa May 18. Kidani, RPR Champion Florida Villa 17, Staybridge Suites, White Blossom & Owens Villa 16 OKW, Champion Florida Villa & RPR 16, Magic Landings 15, Grand Reserve & HRH 2014, Tuscan Pines 12, Highgrove 09, Legacy Park 07, Indian Point 06 and 05, Florida Pines 04
Graduation Trip 2019
+ Trip Report 2018
JanetteP is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 Jul 20, 01:23 PM  
Link to this Post
Shell52
Trainee Dibber

Mobile

Holiday Extras gave me 50% of my single trip premium back. They were working on the premise that half of it provided cancellation cover (although not for pandemic or FCO advice not to travel!) and half would be for cover whilst we were actually on holiday. Friend of mine got 75% back from Jet2 travel insurance, but they probably bought that as part of the holiday package.
Shell52 is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 Jul 20, 02:41 PM  
Link to this Post
meggy
Imagineer

meggy's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Staysure offered a very small refund to Mum being in a voucher to use on next insurance!

I have an annual insurance with Saga £140 - effectively lost all 4 holidays that I thought it would be covering - I have not even bothered contacting them
meggy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 Jul 20, 04:04 PM  
Link to this Post
eggsRspecial
Stuck in the Tower of Terror

Mobile

Nationwide offered online the option of cancelling insurance and getting a partial refund. I got a letter today showing that 88% will be refunded.
eggsRspecial is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List