Notices

Old 26 Jun 18, 04:50 PM  
Link to this Post
Melbatb
Imagineer

A Week in Bangkok - June 2018: Day 8 - Jim Thomson House

I managed to fall asleep the right side of midnight and woke up about 7!

Breakfast was the usual - a creature of habit!

I went back downstairs about 8.55am so I could get the hotel's bus to the Skytrain station.

I caught the train to the end of the line - National Stadium. It was busy - no seat for me this time!

My destination was Jim Thomson's house - entry 150bhts.

Jim Thomson was an American who moved to Bangkok after the war. He is known in Thailand for reviving the Thai silk trade.

He built his house from 6 traditional teak houses he had moved to Bangkok.

He disappeared in a Malaysian jungle when he was 61 and his family gave the house to a foundation in his memory.

It was an interesting tour and worth doing if you have the time.

I walked the 500m to the Khlong boat stop.

And caught the boat to the next stop. At least this time I went the right way!

I wandered around - a market had been mentioned in my guidebook but I didn't think much of it. Instead I had an iced cafe latte in a local coffee shop - 100bhts.

I went back yo the Khlong quai and caught another one 5 stops to Asok so I could see what the fuss was about Cowboy Soi.

I needed also to eat but the place where all the locals seem to be eating had no visible veggie dishes!

I saw a mall - Terminal 21 near the BTS station at Asok. This was probably the nicest mall I went in. It was set out like an airport with each floor having a different destination.

On the 6th floor there was a foodcourt but I ate in a restaurant on the 5th floor - their menu had the dishes in English!

I had another Pad Thai and a mango smoothie! It cost 285bhts - about 9 euros. It was nice but not as nice as yesterday nor the cookery class!

The loos in the mall were very posh...

And if you squint behind the lighthouse the Dibb's favourite store was there!

I walked down Cowboy Soi but I think I was about 6hours too early to understand what it is all about!

I made my way back via the Skytrain and got myself packed.

I decided to head out to the flower market near the Memorial Bridge. This involved the boats! I walked through the park to get to the ferry. The park was fairly quiet but by 5pm it is full of people running, doing yoga, playing badminton or volleyball or on the gym equipment. Even though it was under the flyover it seemed to be a peaceful place.

The pig was often at the entry of the ferry!

The flower market was lovely. Some wonderful smells. Offering flowers to the gods is a daily activity. The carefully crafted arrangements started at 5bhts - about 10p.

There were hundreds of stalls. A lot were being packaged up in cool boxes - I guess for sending outside of the city.

There was even a shine in the market.

Even the school kids were there buying flowers which was do nice to see. The kids all wore very smart uniforms - I would see them at 8am and again still around towards 6pm. I got the feeling they only went home when they had to. They were in small groups but always very respectful.

I wondered around and then braved a trip in a tuktuk back to the pier. I know I overpaid at 100bht but as that was about 3 euros I didn't mind! It was certainly an experience!

I went up the river on the Orange Express, then got off at Pier 13 only to get on the next one going back! It was now dark do I at last got to see Wat Arin all lit up!

Back through the park there were quite a few boxers training!

I had picked up some Mango sticky rice which I had for dinner!

Virtually all ready for tomorrow. Reception reckons I should leave about 7.30am to give myself time to get a taxi back to the airport. I had considered the train options but think it will be too complicated (three changes..)

Only 18km today...

Edited at 05:37 PM.
Melbatb is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Jun 18, 05:33 PM  
Link to this Post
app
DIBB App Manager

New Photo Added by Melbatb - 26 Jun 18 5:33 PM.
app is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Jun 18, 06:39 PM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Another great day for your last one
Love the photo of B&BW

Joan
Old 26 Jun 18, 08:19 PM  
Link to this Post
Jake71
Imagineer

A fab last day. The night photos on the river at excellent.
Old 27 Jun 18, 01:47 PM  
Link to this Post
OB1LukeLucas
VIP Dibber

Mobile

What a great week, I think your legs could probably do with their own holiday! I can’t believe how much you have managed to fit in. It’s been great looking at all your photos and reliving a few memories. I really need to go back there again with the girls. Thanks as always for sharing your trip...when is the next one? 😊
OB1LukeLucas is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Jul 18, 07:54 PM  
Link to this Post
Melbatb
Imagineer

Just realised I haven’t replied to the comments

Originally Posted by mick View Post
Another great day for your last one
Love the photo of B&BW

Joan
B&BW get everywhere! It was quite expensive though!

Originally Posted by Jake71 View Post
A fab last day. The night photos on the river at excellent.
Thank you! It was an enjoyable last day!

Originally Posted by OB1LukeLucas View Post
What a great week, I think your legs could probably do with their own holiday! I can’t believe how much you have managed to fit in. It’s been great looking at all your photos and reliving a few memories. I really need to go back there again with the girls. Thanks as always for sharing your trip...when is the next one? 😊
The next one is in three weeks - to New England! I really enjoyed Bangkok! It was a relaxing week in some respects - just having to look after myself

Index of my trip reports
2016 Quebec - Kuala Lumpar - New York City 2017 Dubai - Eurocamps France - Ontario and Quebec - So-Cal 2018 Montreal - Bangkok - New England 2019 Argentina - Quebec City - Hong Kong - 2020 Switzerland 2022 Arizona - Costa Med Cruise - Oslo 2023 Hong Kong - Gothenburg
Melbatb is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List