Notices

Old 10 Aug 17, 02:53 AM  
Link to this Post
Melbatb
Imagineer

Ontario And Quebec 2017: Day 16 - A Hike, A Bear and A Fishing Trip

Another slow start to the day! No reason to be anywhere at a particular tine

We all got our own breakfasts and then decided (well J and I decided - the kids sagely nodded in agreement ) that we would go to Pont du Pierre - a walk in a forest to a lake with potential for rock hopping and whirlpools!

The car ride took about 30 minutes - much of it down gravel roads!

It was very quiet - we were the only car in the car park!

Thankfully the walk was pretty much bug free!

The first vantage point gave a lovely view over the lake.

We came to the section with the rocks and waterfalls.

The rest of my goat (or should that now be coat ... ) like family bound over these. Me - I have little coordination nor balance!

And the rocks were slippy. At one stage I had all three guiding me! The humiliation!

We ended up at 31,000 Lac - it had a rickety old platform and the water was full of weeds so not very appetizing! No-one wanted a dip!

We continued on the loop - and ended up on the gravel road! Suddenly, J muttered the immortal words "BEAR"! O and I just managed the catch it as it ran into the woods about10m ahead J saw it from about halfway across the road. Even though it was a fleeting view, it made our day! F was a bit sad she hadn't seen it until we reminded her we had seen one on Vancouver Island (and then O hadn't)!

We feel lucky to have caught even a glimpse of a bear in the wild!

We got back to the car snd made our way back to the cottage!

After a pasta lunch and a rest (we are after all on holiday! ), we headed out on a fishing trip. F was in the canoe and the tree of us in the Canadian kayak.

One good thing about having the reputation of being uncoordinated is that I didn't have to paddle!

We (that being the royal "we") paddled for about 20 minutes to a rock island to the right of the cottage.

I did eventually go into the water - but only upto my thighs!

O actually managed yo catch a fish - which he called Natasha

She was released before we left!

The others tried to catch more but one of the nets broke (it was only C$2! ). Some jumping in was also done!

I saw this lovely butterfly - quite impressed with the photo as it was with the water camera!

We headed back to the cottage - me still avoiding the paddling!

BBQ for finned - salmon and veggie burgers with corn!

Then we decided on a trip to Canadian Tire to get a new fishing net! We decided to try the ice cream shop first!

Mr Whippy ice cream dipped into maple chocolate - what's not to like

The new net was acquired!

Back at the cottage, we got the swimwear and towels in (too cold to dry outside overnight) and now we are all snuggled up in our respective beds! Another lovely day!

Index of my trip reports
2016 Quebec - Kuala Lumpar - New York City 2017 Dubai - Eurocamps France - Ontario and Quebec - So-Cal 2018 Montreal - Bangkok - New England 2019 Argentina - Quebec City - Hong Kong - 2020 Switzerland 2022 Arizona - Costa Med Cruise - Oslo 2023 Hong Kong - Gothenburg
Melbatb is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Aug 17, 03:23 AM  
Link to this Post
app
DIBB App Manager

New Photo Added by Melbatb - 10 Aug 17 3:23 AM.
app is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Aug 17, 08:40 AM  
Link to this Post
Jake71
Imagineer

A lovely walk through the forest and seeing a bear, even if it is just a glimpse - amazing and terrifying at the same time. More fun on the water. That is a beautiful shot of the butterfly. I love a BBQ end to a day.
Old 10 Aug 17, 10:09 AM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Another lovely day and you spotted a bear

Joan
Old 11 Aug 17, 12:07 AM  
Link to this Post
Melbatb
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Jake71 View Post
A lovely walk through the forest and seeing a bear, even if it is just a glimpse - amazing and terrifying at the same time. More fun on the water. That is a beautiful shot of the butterfly. I love a BBQ end to a day.
Every Canadian seems to have a BBQ - even on the balconies in the cities !

The bear sighting was amazing! How lucky were we?

I was impressed with my butterfly shot - the water camera is not the best and the zoom is just digital!

Originally Posted by mick View Post
Another lovely day and you spotted a bear

Joan
Indded - a bear! The icing on the case would have been photographic proof but bears don't seem to be known for their cooperation in taking photos

Index of my trip reports
2016 Quebec - Kuala Lumpar - New York City 2017 Dubai - Eurocamps France - Ontario and Quebec - So-Cal 2018 Montreal - Bangkok - New England 2019 Argentina - Quebec City - Hong Kong - 2020 Switzerland 2022 Arizona - Costa Med Cruise - Oslo 2023 Hong Kong - Gothenburg
Melbatb is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Aug 17, 06:31 AM  
Link to this Post
WileyCoyote
I am not a shopaholic

How fab to get a glimpse of the bear on the hike and another lovely afternoon on the water. So nice to relax with a BBQ and then what sounds like heavenly ice cream ! A fish called Natasha ... Interesting !
WileyCoyote is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Aug 17, 02:04 AM  
Link to this Post
Melbatb
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by WileyCoyote View Post
How fab to get a glimpse of the bear on the hike and another lovely afternoon on the water. So nice to relax with a BBQ and then what sounds like heavenly ice cream ! A fish called Natasha ... Interesting !
"A fish called Natasha" - mmm - could that be a sequel to a certain movie

The hike was lovely - and the ice cream was so very very nice

This holiday lark is certainly relaxing!

Index of my trip reports
Old 15 Aug 17, 09:29 PM  
Link to this Post
LuvPluto
Proud to wear my Ears

Glad the forest was mostly bug free & how fantastic to see a bear.
The goat reference made me laugh. A lovely day
LuvPluto is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Aug 17, 02:07 AM  
Link to this Post
Melbatb
Imagineer

Originally Posted by LuvPluto View Post
Glad the forest was mostly bug free & how fantastic to see a bear.
The goat reference made me laugh. A lovely day
There are a few bugs around but not like at the river - we can go out without being covered in deet

It was so fab to see a bear - we didn't expect it at all!

Index of my trip reports
Old 16 Aug 17, 11:21 AM  
Link to this Post
OB1LukeLucas
VIP Dibber

Morning, how wonderful to see a bear-I mean that even though I would be a little scared! A lovely walk today, the ice cream looks good too.
OB1LukeLucas is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List