Notices

Old 2 Aug 18, 02:29 AM  
Link to this Post
Melbatb
Imagineer

New England Summer 2018: Day 5 - Riding In Vermont

We woke up to a sunny day - a bit early though for J and I at 5.30am. The situation wasn't helped by the dropping in and out of the wifi. We later worked out that the router was in the office in the main barn. The nearer you were to it, the faster it was! O even went into the seating area of the barn during the day to connect!

Breakfast was had - every man for himself. O and J had yoghurt and fruit, F and I had bagels!

The house is quite old fashioned. That is not meant in a bad way. I love the wooden rooms - though as F says - it foes creak a lot (she has only lived in a modern house!)

We are staying in the white house! The house is in 190 acres of land! There are deer, foxes and bears in the forest!

It is a stunning part of the world!

Today - there was one objective - to get F riding!

I sent an email to the owner who replied quickly that we should see Amber - the manager!

We went out and Amber told us the instructor was in at 11 and we could organise it then. She also gave F free reign to come and go into the paddocks with the horses. F was in her element!

As the cupboards were bare, we decided we would drive the mile down the road to Morrisville to stock up at the supermarket. The supermarket was really well priced! Where we are is not that touristy so it is local prices!

When we got back F and J went to meet Jade, the instructor whilst O and I unpacked the shopping. They also met Poppy the spaniel!

A lesson time of 3pm was arranged!

F made lunch for us - salmon burgers with salad and fries. Desert was strawberries !

Soon it was time for F to change into her riding gear!

F was riding Cookie - a much bigger horse than she is used to riding!

F loved it! We could see that for the first few minutes she looked a little confused then realised that although she is completely bilingual, she has only ever had riding lessons in French!

Cookie worked hard and Jade the instructor was amazing - positive while giving constructive advice!

Both F and Cookie were worn out by the end!

After the lesson we headed to South Burlington (about an hour away) in a hope of getting O some books off a reading list. Unfortunately we didn't find any that he needed but he did find a book on philosophy - in his final year of school philosophy is compulsory...

The scenery is spectacular here - the picture doesn't do it justice. It is very rural but I love that!

The clouds were hugging the mountain tops!

We got home about 8pm and made club sandwiches. I gad avocado, smoked gouda cheese and lettuce. I also had a bottle of ginger beer - took me back to my childhood and the famous five! The others had a variation on the theme.

The wifi was very in and out - the boys went into the dar next to the barn door which was better! I gave up on finishing the daily report as I kept getting timed out.

Edited at 10:06 PM.
Melbatb is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Aug 18, 10:16 AM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
I’m glad she enjoyed her ride looks a lovely place to holiday

Joan
Old 2 Aug 18, 01:28 PM  
Link to this Post
app
DIBB App Manager

New Photo Added by Melbatb - 2 Aug 18 1:28 PM.
app is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Aug 18, 05:52 PM  
Link to this Post
Jake71
Imagineer

Beautiful countryside, it looks amazing.
Old 3 Aug 18, 06:50 PM  
Link to this Post
Scotty
Imagineer

Bet the hacking there is amazing.
Old 8 Aug 18, 07:33 PM  
Link to this Post
i love jack
Apprentice Imagineer

Just catching up with your report, looks amazing
Old 11 Aug 18, 06:05 PM  
Link to this Post
WileyCoyote
I am not a shopaholic

That’s a great day, it all sounded very idyllic so the famous five ginger beer was a great choice. How great about the riding , looks a beaut of a horse there.
WileyCoyote is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Aug 18, 11:27 PM  
Link to this Post
jocat
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 67
What a great location you’re in and how brilliant that F got her riding lesson.

Cookie and Poppy both look gorgeous animals too.
jocat is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Aug 18, 08:55 PM  
Link to this Post
Melbatb
Imagineer

Originally Posted by mick View Post
I’m glad she enjoyed her ride looks a lovely place to holiday

Joan
The riding she did was brilliant - and has really helped her!

Originally Posted by Jake71 View Post
Beautiful countryside, it looks amazing.
It was a stunning place to stay!

Originally Posted by Scotty View Post
Bet the hacking there is amazing.
It was - F loved the two hacks she did!

Originally Posted by i love jack View Post
Just catching up with your report, looks amazing
I would certainly recommend Vermont!

Originally Posted by WileyCoyote View Post
That’s a great day, it all sounded very idyllic so the famous five ginger beer was a great choice. How great about the riding , looks a beaut of a horse there.
I loved the ginger beer! I tried another brand later on but it was pretty vile!

The horses were all beauties!

Originally Posted by jocat View Post
What a great location you’re in and how brilliant that F got her riding lesson.

Cookie and Poppy both look gorgeous animals too.
F was in her element! She loves horses so much!

Index of my trip reports
2016 Quebec - Kuala Lumpar - New York City 2017 Dubai - Eurocamps France - Ontario and Quebec - So-Cal 2018 Montreal - Bangkok - New England 2019 Argentina - Quebec City - Hong Kong - 2020 Switzerland 2022 Arizona - Costa Med Cruise - Oslo 2023 Hong Kong - Gothenburg
Melbatb is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Oct 18, 08:04 PM  
Link to this Post
Campinggirl
Very Serious Dibber

Oh how lovely that F got to ride! Both of our kids love riding. We've booked somewhere in Cornwall for Christmas where they are going to have riding lessons !

I spent a while studying in France it must have been strange for F to be instructed in (American) English. Do they also wide Western style in Vermont? We found it to be quite different when we rode in Banff from how we have been instructed in England.
Campinggirl is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List