Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 26 Apr 17, 04:23 PM  
Link to this Post
dizzzy
Very Serious Dibber

dizzzy's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
I had the throat spray as my appt was in the afternoon and I had to drive somewhere early the next morning. I was dreading it as my mum had, had the sedation before and she said never again (this was before she knew I had to have the procedure). I did worry at first as I gagged when they did the throat spray but the rest wasn't too bad. For me the worse part was when they removed the tube but that was over and done with so quick. However, I think everyone is different as my dad has done it both ways and preferred the sedation. He only went with the throat spray cos I said how easy I found it

Good luck with whichever you choose.
dizzzy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Apr 17, 04:43 PM  
Link to this Post
DisneyWannabe
Imagineer

I just had the throat spray. It didn't hurt, more the whole gag reflex thing and the burping, not a nice experience. It was actually quite interesting watching the camera go down! - it is all over in about 10 mins.

The advantage of having just the spray is that I was in and out within an hour, had I been sedated I would have had a lot of waiting around.
Old 26 Apr 17, 04:44 PM  
Link to this Post
Smilesonfaces
Imagineer

Smilesonfaces's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
I had the throat spray. The staff talk to you which calms you down while they do it. Honestly it was fine and I am not particularly brave ! It's not nice but it's over that quick. Good luck and I hope the procedure goes ok.
Smilesonfaces is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Apr 17, 07:35 PM  
Link to this Post
Sarah
Proud to wear my Ears

Endoscopy

I had the spray and should I need another I would have it again. The nurses were lovely and reassuring so that made it a lot easier for me. I can understand people wanting sedation as it is not the most pleasant thing to have done.

Edited at 07:45 PM. Reason: Word missed out
Sarah is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Apr 17, 07:41 PM  
Link to this Post
lyn1
Imagineer

I have had 3 done with no sedation because I was driving. I absolutely hated it as I couldn't stop gagging from start to finish.
lyn1 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Apr 17, 07:58 PM  
Link to this Post
storm
Imagineer

I was an anaesthetic/ recovery nurse, endoscopy was a daily event.
Most had sedation , I have also had endoscopy with sedation.
Some just have throat spray , I haven't as allergic to it.
A few have it done with nothing, that includes me.
With no spray or sedation it's not a great experience with constant gagging but over & done with quickly. I had mine done with a nasal insertion.
With sedation you will have no memory of the event & therefore will find it a "none" event.
With throat spray it's a horrid taste & if your an anxious worrier it's probably not for you. But it is a great option for many
If you are the type of person who remains calm, needs to drive home, have no one to look after the family/ yourself throat spray is the way to go.
If being aware is a worry have the sedation.
storm is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Apr 17, 08:07 PM  
Link to this Post

I only had the throat spray. It's hard to control the gag reflex. Trick is to try and control your breathing if you feel the gag reflex approaching.
Bonus of no sedation is not having to wait as long to go home after the procedure.
That said, I think if I needed another I'd be tempted to go for sedation. It wasn't painful. Just uncomfortable
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Apr 17, 08:10 PM  
Link to this Post
bigseve
Imagineer

Sedation every time.
bigseve is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Apr 17, 08:15 PM  
Link to this Post
Sandieb
Imagineer

Sedation for me too.
Sandieb is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Apr 17, 09:13 PM  
Link to this Post
Disneyjay
Helping Mickey

Mobile

I had one at the end of February and I was more nervous about being sedated so just had the spray.
I would be lying if I said it wasn't an awful experience but I found by concentrating on my breathing and staying calm and reminding myself it would be over very quickly I managed.
As others have said the worst part is the gagging due to the sensation.
I am very much a mind over matter person so got through it but you do have to dig deep.
The positive was I was up and gone after 20 minutes after some water and cheese and crackers whereas the two other ladies who went before me were still laid out on recovery beds.
WDW Caribbean Beach Resort - 2017
WDW Pop Century - 2023
Disneyjay is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List