Notices
General Trip Planning Other Holiday Planning.

Closed Thread

Old 15 Mar 10, 12:45 PM  
Link to this Post
shysarah
Very Serious Dibber

shysarah's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 4
Dublin info please

Hi All,

DH and I are planning a trip to Dublin. It will either be late September or early December (we are planning Edinburgh at the other time). We are planning on 3 nights over a weekend.
Having never been before I'd be grateful for a bit of advice on the following:
1. We will be flying into Dublin so what's the best way of getting from the airport into Dublin city centre?
2. If it's by taxi how much would this cost?
3. Anybody know of a good 4 star hotel in Dublin within walking distance of the major attractions?
4. What should we not miss, attraction wise?
5. Which time would be best to go - late September or early December?

Cheers!
Old 15 Mar 10, 01:11 PM  
Link to this Post
smythy21
Imagineer

smythy21's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 2
Originally Posted by shysarah View Post
Hi All,

DH and I are planning a trip to Dublin. It will either be late September or early December (we are planning Edinburgh at the other time). We are planning on 3 nights over a weekend.
Having never been before I'd be grateful for a bit of advice on the following:
1. We will be flying into Dublin so what's the best way of getting from the airport into Dublin city centre?
2. If it's by taxi how much would this cost?
3. Anybody know of a good 4 star hotel in Dublin within walking distance of the major attractions?
4. What should we not miss, attraction wise?
5. Which time would be best to go - late September or early December?

Cheers!

1 dublin airport provide a bus service that drops u into the city centre. 12euro return for adults

2. a taxi wud cost around 20euro depending on traffic.

3. there is loads of hotels in the city centre. there is the jurys hotel , clarion hotel, morrison hotel, gresham hotel

4. guinees storehouse, segway tour of phoenix park(largest city park in europe), open top bus tours, dublin zoo

5. its much of muchness when u go suppose it all depends on price of flights

Old 15 Mar 10, 05:12 PM  
Link to this Post
gingerbuzz
Excited about Disney

1. The bus definetley is the way to go. Doesn't take too long either and takes you along the main streets.

4. Guinness Storehouse and pheonix park. walk around trinity college. Temple bar as an area
Old 15 Mar 10, 05:20 PM  
Link to this Post
Irishrover
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 19
Guidebook Reviews: 1
Again the bus has to be the way, you get stuck in the roadworks with taxis and they can get expensive.

Id say the get yourself a lil guidebook for dublin, like the others say, the open top buses give you your bearings, the zoo is good, have a pop into the GPO post office for a shameful history lesson, Id also look online for listings for live music, but be warned, you wont find many irish people in dublin, its like London in alot of ways, you have to go a bit further out,
but you'll have a great time!

Bren xxx

Irishrover is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Mar 10, 05:23 PM  
Link to this Post

There are buses and a dedicated air shuttle, the air coach I think it's called, running regularly between the airport and Dublin town centre - you can't miss them.
December in Dublin town centre is very atmospheric - but that's just my opinion I've also been in July and loved all the outdoorsy things going on in Temple Bar.
Sorry, couldn't recommend a hotel as I have either stayed onsite at Trinity College (very basic accommodation) or an hour or so out of Dublin in Wicklow.
Enjoy x
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Mar 10, 11:37 AM  
Link to this Post
smythy21
Imagineer

smythy21's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 2
The gresham, jurys and morrissons hotel are all very close to O'Connel street or Temple Bar. You can get the Luas tram up to the Phoenix Park from O'Connell St were u will find the zoo and the presidents home.
Old 16 Mar 10, 02:42 PM  
Link to this Post
shysarah
Very Serious Dibber

shysarah's Reviews
Thanks for the info. I have found some nice hotels in Ballsbridge (?!?!). Would this location be ok to walk into Dublin city and all it's attractions. We're not ones to use public transport.
Thanks
Old 16 Mar 10, 02:56 PM  
Link to this Post

ballsbridge is about a 20 min walk away from the city centre, personnaly i'd rather be a bit closer.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Mar 10, 02:57 PM  
Link to this Post
shysarah
Very Serious Dibber

shysarah's Reviews
is it an ok area to stay in? the hotels look a little cheaper in price than the centre of dublin that's all.
Old 16 Mar 10, 03:01 PM  
Link to this Post
Tommytyger
slightly serious Dibber

The Air coach (blue Bus) as my mum calls it! is the best way to get to town and you can get a return ticket.

Ballsbridge is a little far out. you couldn't walk back in at night . so find some where in the city . there are loads. so you can go in and out of town al day. the last time i was over for U2 we stayed at the Trinty Capital hotel. It was lovely. This was a treat as i am from dublin originally! and Mum lives up the road.
get any place that is near to Grafton Street (shopping)!
The Zoo is brill.
The open top bus is great , But defo get the one with the 'LIVE' commentary, as this is pure Irish laughter . the other is a 'recorded trip' , mostly geared fro those who don't speak english.
hope this helps.
Tommytyger is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Closed Thread