Notices

Old 13 May 20, 12:37 PM  
Link to this Post
Kat11
VIP Dibber

Phew I’ve finally read trough the 20 pages I’d missed! 😂

Not sure where to start, so I think I’ll just go with what comes into my head in no particular order.. 🤔 also apologies for my grammar as that can be hit and miss, and I’m sometimes caught out by autocorrect. 😂

I’m like you and not sure what the heck is going on! I’m pretty sure it’s not going to happen and also not sure whether I want to go if there will be any restrictions, especially face masks as I think in the August heat (which I was originally worried about) might be too much and make me feel claustrophobic, think I could manage for the flight though but not the parks.

My saving grace in all this is, if they were to release dinning for next year then I’ll book for then and move the whole plan over. It would probably be booked for after my two girls have completed their GCSEs and A-levels in July as August would be out because of results etc... although my eldest Amelia has informed me that it’ll have to be after the 10th because she wants to go and see “The 1975” in London! 😂 she’s a big fan of music and has been disappointed that all the festivals and concerts are all getting cancelled. ☹️

I’m most likely leave this Florida booking a couple more weeks to cancel just to make sure that it’s more likely that it’s a no go, so with this in mind we are not planning on paying the Disney balance in mid June if that’s the case. We are lucky in respect that we have reward flights which will hopefully be able to cancelled easily enough and most of our other things are either refundable or deposit only. In fact I hadn’t even added my two girls into the Disney booking so that’s £100 saved. (And between you and me, we booked through Quidco and they paid out a while ago and they gave us £200 for that! 👍🏼 )

The other reason I’m more inclined to cancel is that my mum is currently going through chemo, she will have finished treatment at the end of June and then she’ll have a scan to see if it’s done it’s job. 🤞🏼 I’ve been lucky that I get to see my mum and dad at least once a week because I do their shopping because mum is shielding and they can’t go out at all at the moment. The thing is if mums treatment goes well I’d be much happier about going to Florida and enjoying it but if it doesn’t work out as well as hoped I wouldn’t even contemplate going.

Like others, I find your thread a positive one and it’s good to see others going through the same quandaries as us. I have found that I can’t read any trip reports at all though as I just can’t get into them. Doesn’t it feel like we’ve just pressed pause on life.

I’m hoping that my daughters get to go back to school soon as they are missing the one to one teaching, the school have sent an email to let us know they are looking into various ways of getting them in so we will wait and see.

If our trip doesn’t come off we have a week booked over October half term to New York (moved from May half term) so we will see how that pans out, they are reward flights again but we Had paid the hotel in full through Travelbag which at the moment are holding onto our money, not sure whether to pursue that or leave it with them to rebook the hotel in October or use it for say a Universal hotel if we get to go next year. 🤔

I do venture into the Coronavirus forum but it’s not a nice place to be at times, I find that there are a few people on there that just seem to want the situation be as bad as it possibly can be and enjoy trolling anyone who suggests anything positive, I have to bite my tongue at time’s as I fear I would have my head bitten off if I say anything! 😡

Anyhoo, I think I’ve probably bored you enough now! 😁 so I’ll stop rambling on.

Kat x
WDW: Onsite: HRH/POFQ - October 2019
WDW: Partner Hotel: Hilton LBV @ DS & RPR - April 2022
DLC: LA - San Fran inc: DLC & Universal - Aug/Sept 2023
Kat11 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 May 20, 02:37 PM  
Link to this Post
Buggles94
VIP Dibber

Buggles94's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 5
Well, Center Parcs confirmed this morning so I have spent the day planning activities and getting excited about that It is one of our favourite places and I can make a little schedule for it! However, have also cancelled flights and dog and cat sitter - not so much fun! I've ended up with a credit note for the TA and have rebooked the villa for 2022! Not ideal to still have money tied up but gives me an excuse to plan more holidays
Canada sounds absolutely amazing - seeing the Niagara Falls has been on my bucket list since watching Superman as a child! You will have a fantastic time.
I've now been told I will probably be furloughed till September when schools hopefully go back. Finding it strange to see so many out and about again whilst I am still at home... Need the sunshine back
Take care and I will keep following and keeping fingers crossed for positive updates!
Buggles94 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 May 20, 06:44 PM  
Link to this Post
collybird
Imagineer

I am so sad to read that so many are now having to look at cancelling. I remember way back at the start of all of this Abby and said we hoped it would all be a lot of fuss over nothing. How silly I feel now!

Kat, best of wishes to you and your mum regarding the chemo. I hope for good news at the end of treatment. I am struggling with TRs too, I feel guilty not reading my Dibb friends but I find bracing myself for potential cancellation easier if I avoid vlogs and reports, it is just a reminder of what I could be missing. I also don’t like the Coronavirus forum, and I really should have to have it removed. I always found the Dibb an extension of Disney, a happy place where we were all in it together, so some of the comments there have shocked me and left a nasty taste in my mouth. I have kept my opinions to myself but the disdain being shown to those on furlough, as though it was something, they had chosen pushed me over the edge. I spent the week proceeding lockdown sick to the stomach that furlough was inevitable. The day it was announced we would be closing I had team in my office crying. We then spent the rest of that week worrying whether or not our company had the reserves to make payments before the government scheme was launched. It was an awful time, and for people to now be looking upon us as though we are a drain on society or lazy is mindboggling to me. They should walk a mile in our shoes before they judge. There are no winners in this current situation. Sorry Abby, that was an unnecessary aside.

I am glad to read lots of people have alternate trips in mind. I love Center Parks and New York so they both sound fabulous too me! Center Parks will be raking it in this year. My store is in a holiday town and when we reopen and the caravan parks do the same, I imagine it will be an exciting time.

I’ve spent today doing in-store training regarding all of the new systems KFC have in place. I had to do them in groups to aid social distancing so I have been through the same spiel four times, I am sick of the sound of my own voice haha.
collybird is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 May 20, 07:16 PM  
Link to this Post
Kat11
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by collybird View Post
I am so sad to read that so many are now having to look at cancelling. I remember way back at the start of all of this Abby and said we hoped it would all be a lot of fuss over nothing. How silly I feel now!

Kat, best of wishes to you and your mum regarding the chemo. I hope for good news at the end of treatment. I am struggling with TRs too, I feel guilty not reading my Dibb friends but I find bracing myself for potential cancellation easier if I avoid vlogs and reports, it is just a reminder of what I could be missing. I also don’t like the Coronavirus forum, and I really should have to have it removed. I always found the Dibb an extension of Disney, a happy place where we were all in it together, so some of the comments there have shocked me and left a nasty taste in my mouth. I have kept my opinions to myself but the disdain being shown to those on furlough, as though it was something, they had chosen pushed me over the edge. I spent the week proceeding lockdown sick to the stomach that furlough was inevitable. The day it was announced we would be closing I had team in my office crying. We then spent the rest of that week worrying whether or not our company had the reserves to make payments before the government scheme was launched. It was an awful time, and for people to now be looking upon us as though we are a drain on society or lazy is mindboggling to me. They should walk a mile in our shoes before they judge. There are no winners in this current situation. Sorry Abby, that was an unnecessary aside.

I am glad to read lots of people have alternate trips in mind. I love Center Parks and New York so they both sound fabulous too me! Center Parks will be raking it in this year. My store is in a holiday town and when we reopen and the caravan parks do the same, I imagine it will be an exciting time.

I’ve spent today doing in-store training regarding all of the new systems KFC have in place. I had to do them in groups to aid social distancing so I have been through the same spiel four times, I am sick of the sound of my own voice haha.
Thank you for your kind words, I’m keeping the faith with regards to my mum as she’s doing really well considering. apart from the aches and pains and tiredness (& hair) she’s doing really well, I’m so proud of her.

As for being furloughed, it was set up to protect peoples jobs! I haven’t seen any posts with people being negative about it, maybe because I wasn’t looking but I’d of struggled to keep my mouth shut if I had! 😡 We run a family business with nearly 80 staff, which we furloughed because there was no choice. We did manage to get a few of them back after 3/4 weeks and the rest are coming back over the next 3 weeks so it worked perfectly for us. It’s been a life saver to be honest, as it has enabled us to keep all those employees on. We have no shame in having used the scheme because those people and their family’s have still got their jobs and income which is so much better than the alternative. 😁

Kat
WDW: Onsite: HRH/POFQ - October 2019
WDW: Partner Hotel: Hilton LBV @ DS & RPR - April 2022
DLC: LA - San Fran inc: DLC & Universal - Aug/Sept 2023
Kat11 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 May 20, 07:35 PM  
Link to this Post
OB1LukeLucas
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Evening everyone, I’m still following along with all the comments but just finding it hard to respond. I’m gutted as I read about the cancellations and impending cancellations. Not sure me and Abby will be getting any cocktails, laundry or any Florida fun this year but I’m trying to ignore it for a little bit longer. I wish Disney would make another announcement about their possible summer plans for international guests as the balance date is looming. I’m not going to bother paying as I have read that Disney will eventually catch up with unpaid balances but who knows! Thankfully BA is a little bit later to pay so worse case I can take a voucher. Hopefully the weather will stay nice and we will be allowed to visit our little holiday retreat in the woods, it’s not Florida but we have to be thankful for all the little things at the minute.
Colette I bet you are sick of your own voice, hope it isn’t too strange being back to work.
Abby can’t even imagine what work is like with the new obstacles being put forward, I know our school is pulling their hair out, logistics are definitely not on our side especially with the size of the school building which is a constraint at the best of times in the normal school day!
OB1LukeLucas is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 May 20, 08:09 PM  
Link to this Post
Goldia
VIP Dibber

Goldia's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 5
Restaurant Reviews: 43
Originally Posted by Rescuer View Post
We were exactly like that about knowing our holiday probably wouldn’t happen but not wanting to actively do anything. I feel better now the flights were cancelled, we got our £150 really quickly from BA. All we’ve lost so far is £35. So I know we are really lucky, although I’m not sure we might have such a positive experience with the discovery cove ultimates through OAT.

It’s great you have an October trip booked to look forward to as well, everything changes so fast that who knows what the situation will be 5 months away.

I’m glad your feeling positive about the schools being called back, I’m fairly glad we don’t have to face that yet as with a class of 32 9 year olds in a jam packed (750) Victorian building that’s already bursting at the seams I’ve no idea how any of it would work for us. I’m wondering if we will be August as we break up 26th June this year.

Buggles94 I can’t rave enough about a Christmas trip, only problem is all that extra magic spoils you for future trips.
I'm glad your refund experience from BA were good, fingers crossed you get some money back for the discovery cove tickets, or at least get them extended so that you can use them for your next trip.

I think we are more fortunate than primaries as we are more in control and are able to make our own decisions about which students and when within year 10 and 12. While "Some face to face contact" is pretty vague it does mean we don't have to have them in full time all day every day while trying to accommodate 2m distancing and no overlap between groups. That's the tricky thing for us as the group of 15 kids has to stay as one group and not mix with others, so we've got to think through how to sort out all their option subjects they've chosen for GCSE as we can't mix them all up. Still, I'm looking forward to it. It certainly won't be the same as before, but there are a whole heap of things everyone is having to get used to that are different to before. Just because it's going to be difficult or different doesn't mean we shouldn't try and make the best of it.

Originally Posted by Kat11 View Post
Phew I’ve finally read trough the 20 pages I’d missed! 😂

Not sure where to start, so I think I’ll just go with what comes into my head in no particular order.. 🤔 also apologies for my grammar as that can be hit and miss, and I’m sometimes caught out by autocorrect. 😂

I’m like you and not sure what the heck is going on! I’m pretty sure it’s not going to happen and also not sure whether I want to go if there will be any restrictions, especially face masks as I think in the August heat (which I was originally worried about) might be too much and make me feel claustrophobic, think I could manage for the flight though but not the parks.

My saving grace in all this is, if they were to release dinning for next year then I’ll book for then and move the whole plan over. It would probably be booked for after my two girls have completed their GCSEs and A-levels in July as August would be out because of results etc... although my eldest Amelia has informed me that it’ll have to be after the 10th because she wants to go and see “The 1975” in London! 😂 she’s a big fan of music and has been disappointed that all the festivals and concerts are all getting cancelled. ☹️

I’m most likely leave this Florida booking a couple more weeks to cancel just to make sure that it’s more likely that it’s a no go, so with this in mind we are not planning on paying the Disney balance in mid June if that’s the case. We are lucky in respect that we have reward flights which will hopefully be able to cancelled easily enough and most of our other things are either refundable or deposit only. In fact I hadn’t even added my two girls into the Disney booking so that’s £100 saved. (And between you and me, we booked through Quidco and they paid out a while ago and they gave us £200 for that! 👍🏼 )

The other reason I’m more inclined to cancel is that my mum is currently going through chemo, she will have finished treatment at the end of June and then she’ll have a scan to see if it’s done it’s job. 🤞🏼 I’ve been lucky that I get to see my mum and dad at least once a week because I do their shopping because mum is shielding and they can’t go out at all at the moment. The thing is if mums treatment goes well I’d be much happier about going to Florida and enjoying it but if it doesn’t work out as well as hoped I wouldn’t even contemplate going.

Like others, I find your thread a positive one and it’s good to see others going through the same quandaries as us. I have found that I can’t read any trip reports at all though as I just can’t get into them. Doesn’t it feel like we’ve just pressed pause on life.

I’m hoping that my daughters get to go back to school soon as they are missing the one to one teaching, the school have sent an email to let us know they are looking into various ways of getting them in so we will wait and see.

If our trip doesn’t come off we have a week booked over October half term to New York (moved from May half term) so we will see how that pans out, they are reward flights again but we Had paid the hotel in full through Travelbag which at the moment are holding onto our money, not sure whether to pursue that or leave it with them to rebook the hotel in October or use it for say a Universal hotel if we get to go next year. 🤔

I do venture into the Coronavirus forum but it’s not a nice place to be at times, I find that there are a few people on there that just seem to want the situation be as bad as it possibly can be and enjoy trolling anyone who suggests anything positive, I have to bite my tongue at time’s as I fear I would have my head bitten off if I say anything! 😡

Anyhoo, I think I’ve probably bored you enough now! 😁 so I’ll stop rambling on.

Kat x
Hey there

20 pages is a lot, well done for getting though it, I hope you skimmed some of the boring stuff where I just moaned and went round and round in circles saying the same thing over and over

You're right face masks in the August heat isn't something I would want to have to deal with. The idea of sitting on a plane for 9 hours in a face mask also doesn't thrill me either.

Do you know what I'd forgotten about quidco?! I also booked through them and have already had the money That's great.

I read that the EU want to try to open borders in mid June and they are hoping travel restrictions can ease in the EU then so that's a positive for potential summer travel I was certain 12 hours ago I'd have to cancel, and yet when I saw that news I have to admit to feeling there was a glimmer of hope. It may end uo being too late for me, but for those going at the end of August it might be alright...It's certainly a step in the right direction.

It really does feel like we pressed pause. There have been a few people saying all the things they've got loads done while we've been on lockdown and I've basically done nothing. Ok, so I've still been working, but I've had time at weekends and in the Easter holidays when of course we couldn't go about usual life and I've basically just wafted through the weekend piddling about not really doing anything productive at all.

I'm glad your daughters school have already been in touch, I don't think we're contacted parents yet with our plans. I'm sure there are lots of parents who are worried about the safety of their kids and I hope the plans all schools put in place are shared with parents so they know how we're going to make sure to maintain 2m distancing and all the other things we've got to do.

I remember you talking about your May NYC trip, I'm glad you've been able to shift it to October. That's something to look forward to if your summer plans don't go ahead.

I really hope your mum responds well to the chemo, I'll definitely keep my crossed for a positive improvement for her and for you so you don't worry too much.

Originally Posted by Buggles94 View Post
Well, Center Parcs confirmed this morning so I have spent the day planning activities and getting excited about that It is one of our favourite places and I can make a little schedule for it! However, have also cancelled flights and dog and cat sitter - not so much fun! I've ended up with a credit note for the TA and have rebooked the villa for 2022! Not ideal to still have money tied up but gives me an excuse to plan more holidays
Canada sounds absolutely amazing - seeing the Niagara Falls has been on my bucket list since watching Superman as a child! You will have a fantastic time.
I've now been told I will probably be furloughed till September when schools hopefully go back. Finding it strange to see so many out and about again whilst I am still at home... Need the sunshine back
Take care and I will keep following and keeping fingers crossed for positive updates!
Yay good news about center Parcs. That came through quick.

Ooh good idea about watching Superman with the kids to get them excited about Cananda. I love seeing cities we've been to or are going to be visiting in movies.

It's been really cold today and we didn't bother going out for a walk as it was windy. I'd quite like to have a BBQ again at the weekend so I hope the sun comes out again soon.

Originally Posted by collybird View Post

Yes, don't we wish it had all been a storm in a tea cup, But it wasn't. The corona forum is compulsive for me at times. Although I haven't looked for the last few days, but at times I get drawn in by the polls, which are faintly ridiculous as most opinion polls are! You know I've said it before and I probably sound like a right goody two shoes, but I just wish people would refrain from saying things that are unkind and unhelpful. The tit for tat and point scoring posts are the ones that wind me up the most as it's just like being at school there are so many times when I've said to children they don't have to agree with another child or even like them, it's a big school, no one will force them to be friends, just walk away... I feel like putting on my teacher voice and telling people to break it up at times. But, boy oh boy, some people just seem to be itching for a fight, they really want to get the last word in.

I'm glad you're able to find ways to try and get back to work. I actually think it helps us all to be productive and have job to do, it helps us to appreciate the time off that we have more as well. Althoguh I bet you're shattered now that you've run the same training session 4 times in a row. I'm desperate to ask if your uniform fits as you've mentioned before about being worried, but that is a bit personal! I'm going to have to make sure I wear some elasticated waist trousers when I go back to work, but I'm really excited about wearing something other than a hoodie and jeans!

Originally Posted by Kat11 View Post
Thank you for your kind words, I’m keeping the faith with regards to my mum as she’s doing really well considering. apart from the aches and pains and tiredness (& hair) she’s doing really well, I’m so proud of her.

As for being furloughed, it was set up to protect peoples jobs! I haven’t seen any posts with people being negative about it, maybe because I wasn’t looking but I’d of struggled to keep my mouth shut if I had! 😡 We run a family business with nearly 80 staff, which we furloughed because there was no choice. We did manage to get a few of them back after 3/4 weeks and the rest are coming back over the next 3 weeks so it worked perfectly for us. It’s been a life saver to be honest, as it has enabled us to keep all those employees on. We have no shame in having used the scheme because those people and their family’s have still got their jobs and income which is so much better than the alternative. 😁

Kat
It's weird isn't hit? How some people can be so judgmental. I wouldn't dream of it, well perhaps that's a bold statement and I probably have been judgemental many times, but since going on holiday repeatedly to the same destination and dealing with other peoples opinions on that I've really tried not to judge other people! I literally just contradicted myself in the one sentence But I'm not as good as you are at calling people out as I'm fearful of causing friction. Surely in this case people realise it wasn't a choice that those being furloughed made? I don't understand the lack of compassion. It sounds like you've tried to make the best decisions for your employees and for your business. I hope you get everything up and running soon.

Link to all my completed trip reports
2017: NYC and Orlando. Salzburg. Boston.
2018: Orlando. Berlin.
2019: DLP. Orlando. Washington DC.
2020: DLP.
2021: Jamaica. Rome.
2022: Orlando.
2023: Orlando. Niagara and Toronto.

Edited at 08:13 PM.
Goldia is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 May 20, 08:20 PM  
Link to this Post
Goldia
VIP Dibber

Goldia's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 5
Restaurant Reviews: 43
Originally Posted by OB1LukeLucas View Post
Evening everyone, I’m still following along with all the comments but just finding it hard to respond. I’m gutted as I read about the cancellations and impending cancellations. Not sure me and Abby will be getting any cocktails, laundry or any Florida fun this year but I’m trying to ignore it for a little bit longer. I wish Disney would make another announcement about their possible summer plans for international guests as the balance date is looming. I’m not going to bother paying as I have read that Disney will eventually catch up with unpaid balances but who knows! Thankfully BA is a little bit later to pay so worse case I can take a voucher. Hopefully the weather will stay nice and we will be allowed to visit our little holiday retreat in the woods, it’s not Florida but we have to be thankful for all the little things at the minute.
Colette I bet you are sick of your own voice, hope it isn’t too strange being back to work.
Abby can’t even imagine what work is like with the new obstacles being put forward, I know our school is pulling their hair out, logistics are definitely not on our side especially with the size of the school building which is a constraint at the best of times in the normal school day!
You replied while I was replying. I'm sure that's a jinx, padlock, 1 2 3...is it just my kids who say that when two people say the same thing at the same time? I'm not sure we're going to be getting our cocktails either at least not in person you will just have to keep sending me photos. I'll do some laundry and drink a cocktail over the summer if we don't get to go away and I will take lots of photos!

I'm doing the same as you with holding onto my money and waiting, although it is still a couple of weeks. Given that we went on lockdown less than 2 months ago and we still have more than 2 months it could still happen. But I don't think it will.

Link to all my completed trip reports
2017: NYC and Orlando. Salzburg. Boston.
2018: Orlando. Berlin.
2019: DLP. Orlando. Washington DC.
2020: DLP.
2021: Jamaica. Rome.
2022: Orlando.
2023: Orlando. Niagara and Toronto.
Goldia is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 May 20, 09:07 PM  
Link to this Post
collybird
Imagineer

Ahahaha Abby, I haven't had to put on my actual uniform yet as we have just been doing prep these last few days so I've been wearing play clothes. Tomorrow is D-Day, I shall report back!

It was a job and a half to find jeans that fit today, I would very much like Primark to open again soon.

I forgot to reply to you about which KFCs are opening when you asked, sadly not all are opening yet (still no news on my poor little store), have you seen any news about your local? I am looking forward to having KFC tomorrow on my break, although my favourite burger isn't on the limited menu.
collybird is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 May 20, 09:36 PM  
Link to this Post
jothp
Apprentice Imagineer

I've just read through everything I've missed in the last month and a half. Sorry I haven't been here much but I haven't felt like thinking about our trip. It was certainly a very strange feeling when they closed schools and it has been even stranger being in school with the small group of keyworker children. It is now going to be even stranger being open again and I really have no idea how it is going to work either for me or for my two older girls who are year 10 and year 12.

I've loved seeing all the meals you have made. If I'd been thinking straight we should have done meals around the world over the last seven and a bit weeks. The baklava certainly needed a lot of patience. If things take too long to make, I tend to run out of patience part way through and rush the end. I think I might try the lemon chicken and the parmigiana as those are things I've not made before and I've been trying to cook a wider range of things than the quick meals we end up eating on most school nights.

I love the fact that you've managed to stay so positive about your trip until now. I was trying to be positive but I've now come to the conclusion that we won't go even if we are able to get passports by then and flights are up and running.
jothp is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 May 20, 09:45 PM  
Link to this Post
Buggles94
VIP Dibber

Buggles94's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 5
Much prefer this TR to reading the Coronavirus forum. It really is so negative and I miss the old days of the DIBB. Have missed out on the furlough comments luckily... I’ve been told today that I will probably be furloughed till September... it’s definitely not something people want but hopefully it will help companies stay open and people will have jobs to go to when all this is finally over.. I wish I had had longer to pay my balance as I would definitely have waited to cancel until the last minute. I don’t feel relieved and I know I will be gutted if it turns out we could have gone.. However, the kids seem to be as excited about a week in CP so just hoping for sunshine and that that doesn’t get cancelled! As an aside the CP twitter messaging was amazing and got the holiday sorted for us! Using FB messenger to try to get my last remaining funds from DLP and will try to talk to Attraction Tickets tomorrow. All this rearranging definitely gives me something to do 😂😂 Really hope all the planned holidays go ahead and that by the end of the year we all have some happy holiday memories 😀😀
Buggles94 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List