Link to this Post
mitch84
Imagineer

mitch84's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 8
2 Weeks in Thailand - Bangkok - Monday 11th Feb

Monday 11th February

We had set our alarm this morning just in time to catch the back end of breakfast, we needed to drag ourselves out of bed though!

This was our first experience of the club lounge where us posh people could eat brekkie away from the rif raf!

There was a massive choice so we stuffed ourselves, there was even cheese and biscuits!

Our plan for today had been to get a taxi to the grand palace so we had one flagged for us and got in it, the driver was lovely and explained to us that because of the time of day and the traffic that it would likely take a couple of hours so would we not rather get a boat and that way we would see a lot more, he said that we would be able to get a taxi back.

So he took us to this hotel where the boat stop was and we had our first haggling experience, we were rubbish. We ended up paying exactly what they asked for but never mind.

The deal was that they were to take us up the river, along this canal where people lived etc then drop us off at the Grand palace.

It was a hot day but not that sunny this morning so off we set. Some of the sights along the river were amazing and there were a lot of tiny little huts along the river where people lived.

As we were going up the river we were ambushed by this little lady in her boat who attached herself to the side of our boat and tried to sell us stuff, we ended up with an elephant and a few drinks that we didn’t even want, we must learn to be tougher.

When we got to the boat stop and off the boat we walked to the gate of the grand palace and this guard told us that they were closed for praying and that we had to come back tomorrow, we had a full day trip booked for tomorrow so we were gutted. He put us in a tuk tuk and told the driver that for the equivalent of 50p he was to take us to see the lucky Buddha and a few other bits then drop us off in the same place.

He took us to a tailers that measured Dave up for some shirts, we got to pick the material and everything.

We asked the driver why we couldn’t get into the Grand Palace this afternoon and he said that you could as long as it was after 3pm! Ahhhh so we hovered about til then and went in.

I had been told that you needed your legs and shoulders covered so was BOILING, it was the heat of the afternoon.

We hired a little tour guide who was very knowledgeable and worth the £8 we paid him, we could have haggled but seemed cheeky.

The grand palace was very gold and very impressive.

The only thing that dampened it for me a bit was the heat! It was our first day and I was sweltering!

We went to sit down for a rest in the shade afterwards and have a cold drink of water. I took my hat off and these Thai nuns just kept pointing to my hair and skin and smiling, trying to talk to me but no luck.

We had got directions to the reclining Buddha that was supposed to be quite impressive so we walked that way, luckily not far.

It was massive.

After a bit of a wander round the grounds of this temple we got a taxi back to the hotel.

Now let me say the Thai people were so friendly but I was hot, dirty, tired, hungry. I just wanted a shower and some dinner as we hadn’t fancied lunch in the heat.

The taxi driver was very proud of his country and kept taking free detours to show us places! He took us back to a Buddha we had already seen that morning then just as I was about to lose patience he took us to a temple where real monks were chanting.

The monks came over and chatted for a bit afterwards which was great, their English was perfect despite never having left Thailand.

After this though I did have to firmly say we wanted to go back to the hotel!

We had wanted to make sure we made the most of our evenings in Thailand so we showered and dressed. I had had flip flops on all day and my feet were black, yuck.

We used the free internet and searched and in the list of top bars in Bangkok there was our V9 bar! Wow.

We settled on the Hard Rock café for tonight so starving we jumped in a taxi.

They had a live band on which were very good and we ate well, Dave had an extra large burger and I had Fajitas followed by the biggest ice cream ever.

A couple of margaritas whilst watching the band and we were in heaven.

The list had also said that there was a bar nearby called CM2 which was supposed to be good. We got lost though and this lovely Thai man stopped us and said we looked confused, he pointed us in the right direction before asking who we thought would win the Premiership!

It was ok in here and I got in free being a woman but we only had one as we were desperate to get back to the V9 bar for another drink to see if we dreamed it yesterday.

We hopped in a taxi and were soon at the hotel. There was a different DJ tonight but the hostess lady remembered us from yesterday and remembered that we wanted to sit near the window for the view.

We had a seriously jam packed day ahead tomorrow with a very early pick up so we went to bed after a cocktail or two.
Old 12 May 08, 01:39 PM  
Link to this Post
Strommie
Imagineer

Strommie's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Lovely day. I loved the Grand Palace. Bangkok is certainly very hot and muggy isn't it
Old 12 May 08, 09:41 PM  
Link to this Post
*source*
Imagineer

All I remember about Bangkok was cocroaches! You have made it more appealing to me! Those river huts are amazing...
*source* is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 May 08, 09:53 PM  
Link to this Post

Great trippie
We had a lot of Similar experience's in Sri Lanka,
Cant wait to read some more
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 May 08, 04:20 PM  
Link to this Post
Jaydee
Imagineer

Jaydee's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
Restaurant Reviews: 14
Brilliant pictures

Jaydee is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 May 08, 11:16 PM  
Link to this Post

The photos are amazing! Cant wait to read more.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 May 08, 12:37 PM  
Link to this Post
Funkymum
Imagineer

Wow sounds amazing, piccies are great
Thanks for sharing

Pop Cen Jan 2006, All Star Mov Sept 2007, POR Sept 2008
DCR DLRP Jan 2009, Cheyenne May 2009, Grand Cal, SSR & AKV Nov 2009, Tuscan Ridge & AKV Aug 2010, AKV & Disney Dream Apr 2011, Dibb Villa & AKV Dec 2011, DCR DLRP Aug 2012 & March 2013, AKV OKW & Disney Dream Aug 2015, AKV OKW POLY VB & Disney CA Aug 2017, PP Cali & Knotts Berry Farm May 2018
SL DLRP Xmas 2018 CB GFV VB Aug 2019, SL DLRP Xmas 2019
Funkymum is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 May 08, 12:56 PM  
Link to this Post
brody-maddison
Imagineer

brody-maddison's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 6
A very interesting day, not sure I'd like to be ambushed on a boat though, Lol.

Great pics, those cocktails look soooo good!
Old 15 May 08, 01:52 PM  
Link to this Post
Funkymum
Imagineer

I've just read this to DH & showed him your pics
He said that the Thai nuns remove the hair from their heads, eye brows, arms etc. He asked if they were dressed in white?

Pop Cen Jan 2006, All Star Mov Sept 2007, POR Sept 2008
DCR DLRP Jan 2009, Cheyenne May 2009, Grand Cal, SSR & AKV Nov 2009, Tuscan Ridge & AKV Aug 2010, AKV & Disney Dream Apr 2011, Dibb Villa & AKV Dec 2011, DCR DLRP Aug 2012 & March 2013, AKV OKW & Disney Dream Aug 2015, AKV OKW POLY VB & Disney CA Aug 2017, PP Cali & Knotts Berry Farm May 2018
SL DLRP Xmas 2018 CB GFV VB Aug 2019, SL DLRP Xmas 2019
Funkymum is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 May 08, 05:18 PM  
Link to this Post
purple myra
Imagineer

purple myra's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
A very busy day, but i can imagine how hot and sticky it must have been ( if its anything like Singapore )
purple myra is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List