Notices
General Trip Reports Reports that don't fit in to the other categories

Old 24 Aug 08, 02:43 PM  
Link to this Post

London Luxury Foodie Trip 22/23 August 2008-Part 4

Saturday 23rd August - rest of the day.

We left the market and walked back to London Bridge and caught a bus straight to Covent Garden. It dropped us off right by the store East. I wanted to look in here as I had bought some sandals in here in April when I was up in town with Clare. I then bought another 2 pairs in different colours. So I thought I would add to the collection, and they had some navy ones, so I got those. They only had black and brown and I didn't really need those colours. I also bought a blue skirt in the sale - £59 reduced to £19.50 - bargain. We wandered around the stalls and then sat down for a coffee. We decided that we ought to get a sandwich for lunch as we were going to the theatre at 2.30 and dinner was 6.30 that evening, so we popped into M&S and got a sandwich. From here we walked to the Bead Shop on Tower Street, near Cambridge Circus. I was very restrained and only spent £14 - which Ian must have been heartily relieved about! We then wandered up to Soho Square, where we had and hour and a half to kill before the Jersey Boys started. It was quite pleasant sitting here, watching the world go by.

We walked back down to the theatre for 2pm and I went straight to the loo - no queues thank goodness. Our seats were right at the back of the circle and VERY high up! Anyway we enjoyed the show, but we wouldn't go back for a 2nd show, like we have for Mamma Mia - in fact Ian is now talking to get front row seats in the stalls for the 3rd time round! (He has got 2nd row 11th April 2009! - Happy Bunny - now where to eat!)

When we left the theatre, the Palace theatre was also tipping out and the crowds were amazing, all trying to get to Leicester Square Tube. We got the Piccadilly Line to Kings Cross and changed to the Northern Line to go to Old Street. We were going to eat at Jamie Olivers 15.

We found the restaurant reasonably easy - when we walked in the initial thoughts were very disappointing. They were still hoovering the door carpet and to be honest the saying disorganised chaos came to mind. There were so many people hanging around and everyone was told to have a drink in the bar area, but the bar area was far too small to cope with the numbers. Thankfully we were lucky to get two of the 10 stools to sit on. We ordered two cocktails - a Bellini fo rme and a Kentucky for Ian. We drank these and watched the chaos unfurl! I used the loo and wasn't at all impressed - no loo roll and dirty sink. We were shown to our table in the Trattoria upstairs as opposed to the restaurant downstairs.

We chose the Antipasti:

Sorry forgot to take the picture straight away - it was served on a wooden board. There were vegetables and salamis - it was all very delicious. We shared a plate for one.

Ian went for Gnocchi with Churrizo for a starter:

I went for a Risotto "Fruit de Mer", without the chilli:

For main course Ian had a lamb shank:

And I went for pan roasted Sea Trout with zucchini infused with basil oil:

I didn't have any wine and Ian just had one glass of rose. We both decided to pass on the desserts - I was just too full, but would have loved the Cherry Creme Brulee - it looked delicious. Ian would have had the chocolate brownie. We both had coffee - loved the decoration in the cup.

Here's the upstairs kitchen at 15

Well we both said we wouldn't be making a rush to come back here to eat - can't fault the food or the service, but neither of us were overly impressed.

We caught a bus back to Waterloo and walked straight onto a train abck to Alton at 8.53. We arrived back at 10.10 and got home at 10.30, collapsing into bed!

All in all we had a super weekend, as said before Ian is now on a mission to get tickets in the front row for Mamma Mia, so when we manage that we shall have another weekend to London. We are going to go to Benares next time (Atul Kochers Mayfair restaurant) and probably back to Bentleys again!
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Aug 08, 05:27 PM  
Link to this Post
purple myra
Imagineer

purple myra's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Shame the last meal was a bit of a disappointment. excellent report though
purple myra is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Aug 08, 05:46 PM  
Link to this Post
Clare
Imagineer

Clare's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 6
Restaurant Reviews: 6

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 17
Guidebook Reviews: 1
Food looks good Jane, but a shame you were a bit disappointed
Clare is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Aug 08, 07:08 PM  
Link to this Post

Food looks lovely Jane, especially the Fruit de Mer. Shame that it was a disappointment.
Old 24 Aug 08, 07:42 PM  
Link to this Post
Dairy Queen
Imagineer

Food looks yum. Thanks for sharing your report.

Clearwater Jun 87 & Jul 88 Texas,Oklahoma & Florida Aug 89
Westridge Oct 06,07,Nov 08,Oct 09,Feb 10
West Haven 10/10,06&10/11,10/12,08/13,07/14,08&12/15,07/16,09/17,07/18, YC+DDP & Villa 09/19
Dairy Queen is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Aug 08, 11:24 PM  
Link to this Post

Shame you were disappointed with 15.
Old 24 Aug 08, 11:29 PM  
Link to this Post
Heather1957
Imagineer

The food looks fantastic - shame it wasn't that good.

I saw Jersey Boys in Vegas, I really really enjoyed it.
Old 25 Aug 08, 08:38 AM  
Link to this Post
Ilovesnowwhite
Imagineer

What a wonderful weekend, thank you for sharing it with us. How wonderful to meet up with one of the children you looked after, you must have lived in london to know where everything is. i tend to walk around with my head in the map not knowing what it what lol oh well.
Old 25 Aug 08, 09:45 AM  
Link to this Post

Thank you for reading. Yes I know London pretty well as that is where I nannied in the 80's. I used to cycle everywhere and also used to go to the theatre a lot, so know my way around quite well on foot/tube, which is a great help. So we tend to walk everywhere, one way to work of all those extra calories! It is so good to keep in touch with Max & Katherine, they are both doing really well. Max is now a Barrister in chambers in Lincolns Inn and Katherine is an artist/illustrator, with a personal recommendation from Quentin Blake!
Old 25 Aug 08, 04:51 PM  
Link to this Post
Donalds
Apprentice Imagineer

Shame 15 was'nt great but sounds like you had a great weekend
thanks for sharing with us

[COLOR="DeepSkyBlue"]Westridge Villa 06,07,08,09
Champions Gate Villa 10,11,12,14,16
Donalds is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List