Notices
General Trip Reports Reports that don't fit in to the other categories

Old 21 Sep 08, 04:34 PM  
Link to this Post

Talking Dunn's River Falls Trip

We were only 5-10 minutes away from Dunn's River Falls and you can't go to Jamaica without visiting it, so Tuesday 9th September after a week of chilling out around the pool, we decided to take a trip to the falls.

We went with a taxi firm from the Hotel and the journey cost just $6 each. Getting into the falls was $15 meaning we had a trip of a lifetime for just $21.

There was 9 of us and then another group of people, all couples joined on. We all gathered at the top of the falls until our guide was ready and looking down we couldn't believe that in a few minutes we would actually be in those waters, climbing our way up to where we were now looking down upon.

We were taken down to the beach at the bottom of the falls, where all the fresh water ran into the sea. We took it in turns to get group shots at the beginning of the falls and another guide was videoing the event so we all had to speak on the camera.

The water was freezing, even with the morning sun on us. I was wearing my bikini and a strapless top as i'd burned my back just days before. Others wore just their bikinis/swimsuits and some climbed fully dressed, in shorts and t-shirts.

The guides told us we all had to hold hands making a chain for the climb, however we felt that this wasn't as safe as climbing on your own. You couldn't grab hold of the rocks and had to balance your weight on the people either side of you.

It wasn't too bad up the first few rocks and after each climb there was a little pool of water where we posed for more photos. At this point the water felt quite cooling on us as you don't realise how hard work it is trying to climb.

We did get to one point though were i simply thought we wouldn't get up, it seemed too dangerous. Water was gushing down from high above you and as soon as you tried to climb, you couldn't see anything in front of you. The guide had to come down from above and help us get up as we just didn't know where to put our feet for the best.

As we got higher there was a cutting in the rocks which looked like a slide, each person got to take their turn at lying down and being pushed into the water. It was fun until i came up and was showing two things which i shouldn't have The man videoing us going down the 'slide' shouted "Boobies, Boobies...Lady put your Boobies away" I was so embarrassed I tried to move out of the way whilst fixing myself as quickly as possible.

Once everyone had had their turn at the slide we made our way higher until we got to a bit like the leap of faith. Basically you had to stand backwards and the guide pushed you into the water. Obviously it was safe and deep enough at this point to do this, but i just kept worrying about all the surrounding rocks, knowing i couldn't see where i was falling!

When we got the top there was a big sign saying Congratulations! on completing the Dunn's River Falls climb. As we made our way out of the water our guide came up to us for his tip. My mum gave him a handful of money for our group (the 9 of us) however he then made his way through us all asking for a tip, even though we explained that we had paid the total together. We understand that these people need to make a living but when we had already given a considerate tip we didn't want to be badgered for more.

Once we had dryed off we went to collect the Dvds which we had ordered of our trip. We managed to get 3 copies for $90 and originally they had wanted $40 for 1 copy. My only concern was that i would be flashing on it. (Luckily we checked the Dvd when we got home and you can't see anything but you can hear the guide shouting to me )

When we had picked up our CDs we bought some souvenir photos and then fought our way through the craft market near the exit. We arrived back at the Hotel about quarter to 1 and decided it was time for lunch, before an afternoon in the pool
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Sep 08, 04:35 PM  
Link to this Post

*View from the platform at the end of the falls*

*View on the way down to the beach at the start of the falls*

*Me & Andy posing in one of the little pools, between climbs*

*Looking down on one of the climbs*

*The sign at the top of the falls saying "Congratulations"*

*View from the top of the falls looking behind us. It doesn't look too steep on this photo but trust me it was *
Old 21 Sep 08, 04:42 PM  
Link to this Post
kissimmee girl
Imagineer

Great photos. I went to jamaica and climbed the falls a few years ago. It was agreat day out. I would love to go back.
kissimmee girl is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Sep 08, 04:51 PM  
Link to this Post
disneybabe
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 1
Guidebook Photos: 8
We went to Dunns River Falls two years ago as one of the trips on a cruise. We had a great time climbing it!. I was lucky the guide held my hand all the way up to the top, I was the first person in the chain after him!

Reading your report brought it all back to me! LOL! Wont to go back again now.

Christine
disneybabe is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Sep 08, 05:13 PM  
Link to this Post

Ahhhhhh... brings back memories of our honeymoon. It was out 17th wedding anniversary yesterday.
Old 22 Sep 08, 10:31 PM  
Link to this Post
Ste
Imagineer

Ste's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 2
Great piccies again xxx
Old 22 Sep 08, 11:24 PM  
Link to this Post

great photos my hubbie proposed to me there in dunns river very special place
Old 23 Sep 08, 01:42 PM  
Link to this Post

Thanks everyone

Originally Posted by matthews_mum View Post
Ahhhhhh... brings back memories of our honeymoon. It was out 17th wedding anniversary yesterday.
Congratulations on your 17th Wedding Anniversary!

Originally Posted by uisce View Post
great photos my hubbie proposed to me there in dunns river very special place
Aww that was so romantic
Old 23 Sep 08, 02:01 PM  
Link to this Post

FAB PICS! We went to jamacia on our honeymoon cruise 15 years ago and climbed the falls! we have a pic of us sitting in the same spot kissing! brought a tear to my eye! xxxxx
Old 23 Sep 08, 05:19 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by pickles View Post
FAB PICS! We went to jamacia on our honeymoon cruise 15 years ago and climbed the falls! we have a pic of us sitting in the same spot kissing! brought a tear to my eye! xxxxx
Thanks! It's such a beautiful place, must be so romantic to do it during your honeymoon

They had us doing all sorts of poses for the photos, Andy had to pick me up on a couple of occasions