Notices
General Trip Reports Reports that don't fit in to the other categories

Old 13 Oct 08, 08:37 PM  
Link to this Post

Candor's Leaf Peeping Tour 2008 - Day 5

Day 5 - Ben & Jerry's & Freezing Burlington

After another bagel breakfast we checked out of the Grand Summit Hotel and began the journey to Vermont. Guess what – it was raining heavily. This was a shame as some of the scenery we passed was beautiful but the rain just wasn’t stopping. The good news was that the weather channel had said, just like the day before, that the weather would improve from around lunchtime. They were to be proved right – indeed it was the last rain we had during our whole time in New England.

The Mount Washington Hotel

Our first stop was after about and a half hours - the Ben & Jerry’s factory in Waterbury. Mrs Candor had been looking forward to this for a while and we were not disappointed.

Ben & Jerry's van

Actual factory - this is it!

The first thing that struck me was that it was really small. I don’t know quite what I was expecting but I did think it would be much bigger. We arrived at 10:20 and were able to get on the 10:30 tour. It wasn’t the normal tour person who took us around. Instead we had one of the despatchers as the factory was closed down for two weeks due to a downturn in icecream sales across the globe. He provided an insightful (and extremely funny) tour – it was good to find an American with a sense of sarcasm. The tour only took about 30 minutes. Unfortunately I don’t have any pictures of it as they ask you not to take any at the start in case you are a Haagan Daas spy. After the tour you get to sample some of the ice cream. It was amazing and as the tour wasn’t full there was enough for two each.

We then looked around the shop (very expensive but very cool) and walked to the flavour graveyard where they have gravestones commemorating all of the flavours they no longer make.

We went back to the car and on with our journey – the rain had now stopped but the temperature was a good few degrees colder – infact it wouldn’t get above 10 degrees all day. Still better cold and dry than warm and wet.

Mrs Candor has always been a fan of the Sound of Music and as we were within 10 miles of Stowe we went up to see the Von Trapps house which is set on a mountainside south west of the town. It was huge. I know there were a lot of them but the house was still massive.

Von Trapp House

The views from it weren’t bad either - you could see why they moved there. The house has now been turned into a number of luxury aparments. Very luxury indeed.

View from Von Trapp House

We continued into Stowe for some lunch where I had a very colourful sandwich!

Stowe

My Sandwich

The day before, on the Kancamgus highway, this couple suggested that we go on the road from Stowe to Jeffersonville as the colour was great. As we had a couple of hours to kill we did just that. Part of the journey is a narrow (by American standards) mountain road that weaved it’s way to Jeffersonville. The couple were correct – it was amazing.

Near the top they had some public toilets which I needed to use. On the way in there was a note on the door telling you what to do if you met a bear. My favourite piece of advise was not to try and get a close up photo! Needless to say I was in and out of the toilet as quickly as possible.

From Jeffersonville we then had a leisurely drive to Burlington where we would be staying the night. As we had checked in by 3pm we decided to wander around down town Burlington. We started down on the waterfront. We had lovely views across Lake Champlain towards New York State but the North Westerly wind blowing in across the lake was freezing.

Cold Burlington - Lake Champlain

Edited at 07:48 PM.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Oct 08, 08:37 PM  
Link to this Post

As it was too cold to sit (or even walk) and enjoy the scenery we walked up the hill into the town. All of the students were back for their first weekend back in University so it was busy. We had a coffee and watched the world go by for an hour before looking around the rest of the town. When we had finished this we managed to find a Ponderosa for tea before settling down for the night again.

A church in Burlington

Burlington City Hall

Edited at 07:48 PM.
Old 13 Oct 08, 08:53 PM  
Link to this Post
luxorsun71
Imagineer

Wow ,what a different day visiting Ben and Jerry's I love that icecream. Had to laugh at your sandwich,kinda looked like a squashed chocolate swiss roll More beautiful photos Really enjoying your trippie.
Old 13 Oct 08, 09:25 PM  
Link to this Post
ali-s
VIP Dibber

Oh No! Panic! where are the photos ? They've gone!
Like the sound of the ice cream tour, love the 'Bear advice' !
Mexico 2010, Easter in Mexico Trip Index
ESD Pointe Orlando, Palm Pavilion Clearwater, RPR August 2012
Costa Rica July 2015 Pura Vida! trip report
South Africa 2017 trip report
ali-s is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Oct 08, 09:29 PM  
Link to this Post

Where are the photo's - glad you didn't meet a bear.
Old 13 Oct 08, 09:55 PM  
Link to this Post

I can still see the pics!
Old 14 Oct 08, 08:41 AM  
Link to this Post

Another brillant report.

I can't see the photos either.
Old 14 Oct 08, 08:48 AM  
Link to this Post

Nor can i grrrrr!
Old 14 Oct 08, 07:49 PM  
Link to this Post

Fixed it... off to fix other days now...
Old 14 Oct 08, 08:48 PM  
Link to this Post
ali-s
VIP Dibber

Well, they were worth waiting for ! love the ice cream graveyard, did all the headstones have little rhymes ?
Mexico 2010, Easter in Mexico Trip Index
ESD Pointe Orlando, Palm Pavilion Clearwater, RPR August 2012
Costa Rica July 2015 Pura Vida! trip report
South Africa 2017 trip report
ali-s is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List