Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 7 Aug 19, 01:54 PM  
Link to this Post
SquishTheWhale
Imagineer

Originally Posted by catherinesian View Post
Firstly, don't get sucked in by the agents baloney. If it's had an offer, it clearly wasn't in the realm of what the vendors will consider as if it was, it wouldn't be on the market for you to view. The agent is just trying to panic you - don't let them.

Secondly, I would be providing feedback to the agent about how difficult you found the place to view and the behaviour of the tenants. Was the agent there with you?
Yes the agent was there and was clearly unhappy about it, he did apologise and said if we wanted to come back he would ensure we had access to all the rooms. I wouldn't be surprised if the owner or agent will be having words with them.

DH thought it was probably rubbish that they had an offer already, they may very well have but as you say it can't have been a very good one.

I'm not totally ruling it out but I think we will probably find something more suitable elsewhere so if it goes I'm not that bothered.

Edited at 01:55 PM.
SquishTheWhale is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Aug 19, 02:43 PM  
Link to this Post
parisdisneyfan
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Orlandobelle View Post
I had a house purchase fall through (well I pulled out as one of the conditions was a quick completion) because tenants refused to move out
I would never offer on a rented house again
We saw a lovely house but it was for sale due to divorce. Basically been on the market for 2 years as well overpriced but also because the half left in the house has said to the agents they won't budge. We didn't view in the end because we didn't want the hassle!
Old 7 Aug 19, 02:57 PM  
Link to this Post
Taffy1959
VIP Dibber

Taffy1959's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by SquishTheWhale View Post
So we went and the service fee is £80 a month, so considering they can put it up if they want is possibly a deal breaker.

An interesting first viewing... the property has tennants in it currently who have been there 10yrs and are not keen on leaving. There was about 6 of them living there and they all stood around in pjs and dressing gowns watching us so didn't really feel like we could poke around in cupboards and things. Didn't even get to see the bathroom as one of them was locked in there- smoking weed going by the very strong smell.
I can only think they are being awkward as they don't want the property sold. The agent said they have already recieved an offer though, even though it's only been on the market a few days. So probably not for us as we find want to move that quickly.

I wouldn't touch it with a barge pole.
I think you could have real problems getting the tenants to move out given that they pay a low rent and it sounds like they're trying to put you off buying the house with the way they were when you viewed.
Old 7 Aug 19, 03:41 PM  
Link to this Post
SquishTheWhale
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Taffy1959 View Post
I wouldn't touch it with a barge pole.
I think you could have real problems getting the tenants to move out given that they pay a low rent and it sounds like they're trying to put you off buying the house with the way they were when you viewed.
That's exactly what I thought- DH thinks it's not an issue despite that exact thing happening to one of his friends! Hoping when we see some more he will forget about that one
SquishTheWhale is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Aug 19, 04:19 PM  
Link to this Post
vhm672
Imagineer

vhm672's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
OP something in this doesn't stack up. If it is a low rent then unless it was an AST with a particularly long term then the landlord would be able to increase the rent at renewal.

If the term has expired and it is just rolling on then the landlord may have difficulty getting vacant possession which would have to be a condition of completion. This means completion could move which gives any buyer logistical problems.

Buying a house is stressful enough without these issues and these tenants will be a problem at every viewing and every inspection.
vhm672 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Aug 19, 04:25 PM  
Link to this Post
SquishTheWhale
Imagineer

Originally Posted by vhm672 View Post
OP something in this doesn't stack up. If it is a low rent then unless it was an AST with a particularly long term then the landlord would be able to increase the rent at renewal.

If the term has expired and it is just rolling on then the landlord may have difficulty getting vacant possession which would have to be a condition of completion. This means completion could move which gives any buyer logistical problems.

Buying a house is stressful enough without these issues and these tenants will be a problem at every viewing and every inspection.
I also wondered that- why not just increase the rent? The market info on Rightmove suggests it was sold a couple of years ago- so perhaps there is some kind of old contract in place and the current owner has tried and failed to increase the rent so now wants rid. I agree it sounds a bit dodgy. The agent specifically mentioned it as why its not being sold with tenants in situ though.

Seeing a house tonight locally, it's half the size and the same price lol. That's Milton Keynes prices for you. It has electric radiators- is that a bad thing? We had a flat once with electric fan heating that was so expensive to run that we just froze instead. Are electric radiators different?
Old 7 Aug 19, 04:33 PM  
Link to this Post
vhm672
Imagineer

vhm672's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by SquishTheWhale View Post
I also wondered that- why not just increase the rent? The market info on Rightmove suggests it was sold a couple of years ago- so perhaps there is some kind of old contract in place and the current owner has tried and failed to increase the rent so now wants rid. I agree it sounds a bit dodgy. The agent specifically mentioned it as why its not being sold with tenants in situ though.

Seeing a house tonight locally, it's half the size and the same price lol. That's Milton Keynes prices for you. It has electric radiators- is that a bad thing? We had a flat once with electric fan heating that was so expensive to run that we just froze instead. Are electric radiators different?
I am in central London and my flat had night storage heaters when I moved in. Turned out they didn't work so I replaced them with electric radiators as without gas there are limited options. Mine are individually programmable and I really like them as I can get heat when I want it or add an instant boost. I would never pick them over gas heating but they aren't ridiculously expensive to run and for my so much better than what they replaced.
vhm672 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Aug 19, 04:40 PM  
Link to this Post
djewkes
VIP Dibber

Could you pop back and have a word with the renters... you could then find out the situation... just a thought...

May 2012 3 weeks Highgate villa, RPR & Barefoot Beach Resort
May 2010 2 weeks The Point Orlando Resort & Clearwater
djewkes is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Aug 19, 04:49 PM  
Link to this Post
SquishTheWhale
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by vhm672 View Post
I am in central London and my flat had night storage heaters when I moved in. Turned out they didn't work so I replaced them with electric radiators as without gas there are limited options. Mine are individually programmable and I really like them as I can get heat when I want it or add an instant boost. I would never pick them over gas heating but they aren't ridiculously expensive to run and for my so much better than what they replaced.
That's great info thanks!
Old 7 Aug 19, 04:50 PM  
Link to this Post
SquishTheWhale
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by djewkes View Post
Could you pop back and have a word with the renters... you could then find out the situation... just a thought...
Possibly but only if we were really interested in making an offer. Definitley want to look around first. Although I did get the vibe they probably wouldn't be up for chatting to prospective buyers as they didn't even want to let us in the rooms...