Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 14 Aug 19, 02:28 PM  
Link to this Post
DisneyWannabe
Imagineer

LHR-JFK-MIA - MIA-ATL-LHR - Virgin/Delta - Update

For anyone considering connecting flights this was our experience.

Booked with Pillinger Travel in late Sept - return economy flights with car - 5AD (3 over 12s) - £2800 - 24/07 - 12/08/19 (Peak School hols as needed to be back for ALevel & GCSE results)

LHR - JFK - Virgin - take off at 2.30pm (left at 3.15pm). Legroom was very limited (first time ever my knees touched seat in front - I'm 5ft 9") Entertainment was ok, food was ok although they ran out of the veggie option, they very kindly offered the veggie meal from premium (please note the system would not allow me to pre book a veggie meal).

Arrival at JFK was very slightly late, this was concerning as we only had 2 hours to connect. Left plane and followed the "quick connections" directions - still takes you to the main immigration hall, however you need to join the queues for Assistance that are on your right as soon as you enter the hall. This took approx 45 mins - the main hall was jam packed with queues right back to the back of the hall.

We collected our cases which fortunately were speedy and had to get on the airtrain from T4 to T2, this took 10mins. We then had to clear security again, short queue but took 20mins - in this queue we learned that our flight to Miami was delayed from 7.25pm to 8.45pm. As it happened we would have just made it had our flight been on time.

Arrival at MIA was 11.30pm - bags collected swiftly - its then a bit of a jaunt to get to the garage to collect the car (Alamo) as we had checked in online we didn't need to use the desks. You get an air train from the airport to the garage - this was a bit of a wait (15 mins) as the train kept arriving but was out of service. Car collection was fast and efficient.

We had booked an over night stay at Comfort Suites which is about 10min drive from the airport, very nice stay and easy to find. Arrived at hotel at 1.30am. Drive from Miami to Orlando took about 3.5 hours and was uneventful.

Return flight
Flight was due at 2.30pm. Arrived for check in at 10.30am (South Terminal) as had a message fro Delta saying security was busy. Bag drop took 50mins, and they asked if we wanted to check-in any hand luggage to the hold free of charge, this worked well for us as 3 of our hand luggage were just full of clothes and gifts so left us with only 2 small cases to manage through the airport. Unlike MCO there is a food court and shops after security. Security was a bit of a faff, with lots of lanes to put things through the scanner but then only ONE body scanner, this resulted in a huge queue of people pushing and shoving to get through to their belongings. NOTE: these scanners are super sensitive, I had a necklace, bangle and rings - I beeped - took off bangle - still beeped - ended up having to go through a different scanner and have pat down - not a problem but did take another 15 mins.

Due to storm we didn't leave MIA until 3.15pm. LHR flight was due to board at 4.50pm (gate closed at 5.30pm). Landed at B6 at 5.05pm, didn't need to get luggage as this had been checked through to LHR. Flight was taking off at E14 - this airport is HUGE but it was really easy to get to next flight. Off plane followed signs for E terminal - right at the end of the walkway, on escalator - straight onto air train - one stop to E gates short walk past food court to gate - took 10 mins. We arrived just as they were boarding Comfort+ (we had upgraded this leg of the flight) so were straight on plane. Seating for this flight was excellent, loads of legroom, plenty of drinks, snacks and food was good. Entertainment was good and free wifi on board (you can also download the Gogo app to use onboard that has more films and stuff). amenity kit has toothpaste, toothbrush, eyemask and earplugs. Only thing lacking was a footrest. Crew were lovely too. 7hrs 25mins and we landed at LHR.

Immigration at LHR was horrendous, we were directed to the self scan booths. The line was huge and was not just EU passport holders. there were approx 8 booths open but they were glitching, my passport wasn't accepted and it told me to seek assistance, called the person across who just pointed to the end of the row, went to the person at the end who rudely informed I had join another very long queue for assistance, everyone was complaining not help by one person trying to get several of her family members to join her in the queue, needless to say this didn't happen! - in this queue you had to visit an actual officer, I have no idea why my passport was an issue.

Bags collected (sadly 2 cases have been completed broken - IT lightweight ones frame has been bust) and in taxi on way home within an hour.

Don't think the short JFK connection was for us, and future flights would make sure to have a good few hours or an overnight if doing this route, we thought that the later flight would save on hotel stay but with hindsight we would have been better staying over and getting the earlier flight.

Hope that helps anyone else doing this connection.
Old 14 Aug 19, 02:43 PM  
Link to this Post
JoJo88
VIP Dibber

Nice to read your experience. We were on the LHR - JFK - MIA route too but on the 23.07 and flying at 9am. Completely agree about the leg room, it seemed very limited, we weren’t impressed at all with Virgin on the outbound journey. Immigration at JFK was as we expected, but we had a 4 hour layover so had time on our side! I think an early flight is key . We got a taxi to our hotel as we were staying in Miami for a new nights so picked the car up a few days later

Coming home was direct and on a Dreamliner and made such a difference. We seemed to have so much more space! Immigration at LHR wasn’t bad at all, it’s the first time we’ve been able to use the kiosks as DS is now 13. I think it took about 15 minutes, but I did notice a few people having to go to special assistance.

Such a shame about your cases.

I notice you were staying at Solterra, us too! What did you think? To us it looked the villas were jam packed as there so many cars outside them! And the parties going on until the small hours was a bit annoying! Really enjoyed the resort though, and bobbing round the lazy river
JoJo88 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Aug 19, 03:35 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by JoJo88 View Post
Nice to read your experience. We were on the LHR - JFK - MIA route too but on the 23.07 and flying at 9am. Completely agree about the leg room, it seemed very limited, we weren’t impressed at all with Virgin on the outbound journey. Immigration at JFK was as we expected, but we had a 4 hour layover so had time on our side! I think an early flight is key . We got a taxi to our hotel as we were staying in Miami for a new nights so picked the car up a few days later

Coming home was direct and on a Dreamliner and made such a difference. We seemed to have so much more space! Immigration at LHR wasn’t bad at all, it’s the first time we’ve been able to use the kiosks as DS is now 13. I think it took about 15 minutes, but I did notice a few people having to go to special assistance.

Such a shame about your cases.

I notice you were staying at Solterra, us too! What did you think? To us it looked the villas were jam packed as there so many cars outside them! And the parties going on until the small hours was a bit annoying! Really enjoyed the resort though, and bobbing round the lazy river
You were on our flight 23 July LHR-JFK - immigration was terrible for us but we got off the plane almost last towards the back. DH passport wouldn't scan in the machine and DS had new ESTA so had to go to booth.

We also though Economy leg room was poor compared to the Delta domestic flight we had.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Aug 19, 03:43 PM  
Link to this Post
JoJo88
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by aitchieaitchie View Post
You were on our flight 23 July LHR-JFK - immigration was terrible for us but we got off the plane almost last towards the back. DH passport wouldn't scan in the machine and DS had new ESTA so had to go to booth.

We also though Economy leg room was poor compared to the Delta domestic flight we had.
We had to go to the booth too, my mum and DS both got the X (new ESTA for both!). But the line wasn’t too bad once they opened the booths, was frustrating that we waited a while for any officers to turn up 🙄. The rest of it I thought was okay - bag drop, security etc. We had plenty of time to grab some food. Really enjoyed the Delta flight, the snacks especially
JoJo88 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Aug 19, 04:12 PM  
Link to this Post

We had to go to the booth too, my mum and DS both got the X (new ESTA for both!). But the line wasn’t too bad once they opened the booths, was frustrating that we waited a while for any officers to turn up 🙄. The rest of it I thought was okay - bag drop, security etc. We had plenty of time to grab some food. Really enjoyed the Delta flight, the snacks especially
We had Delta down to Tampa - bumpy flight and about a 10 min window for drink service before flight attendants were asked to be seated by pilot, then managed to bring around a tray of water and cheese crisps just before we landed.

Back via Atlanta and loved the airport.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Aug 19, 04:19 PM  
Link to this Post
JoJo88
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by aitchieaitchie View Post
We had Delta down to Tampa - bumpy flight and about a 10 min window for drink service before flight attendants were asked to be seated by pilot, then managed to bring around a tray of water and cheese crisps just before we landed.

Back via Atlanta and loved the airport.
Oh dear! At least it was a short flight
Old 14 Aug 19, 05:04 PM  
Link to this Post
DisneyWannabe
Imagineer

I didn't like the cars being parked on the road as it made it quite difficult on occasion to get off the drive. And yes, there did seem to be a lot of parties! our friends who live in Davenport said this is more of a Brazilian resort so maybe that? I agree the houses seemed more tightly packed.

I really wanted to stay on a resort subdivision, however, we never got to use the communal facilities as we were quite close to the entrance and were too lazy to walk LOL.

Felt very secure.

Villa was nice and well equipt, but don't think we'd stay again.

Edited at 05:06 PM.
DisneyWannabe is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Aug 19, 05:34 PM  
Link to this Post
JoJo88
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by DisneyWannabe View Post
I didn't like the cars being parked on the road as it made it quite difficult on occasion to get off the drive. And yes, there did seem to be a lot of parties! our friends who live in Davenport said this is more of a Brazilian resort so maybe that? I agree the houses seemed more tightly packed.

I really wanted to stay on a resort subdivision, however, we never got to use the communal facilities as we were quite close to the entrance and were too lazy to walk LOL.

Felt very secure.

Villa was nice and well equipt, but don't think we'd stay again.
We didn’t notice many Brazilians, (or other foreign languages), seemed mostly Americans with a sprinkling of us Brits . Just huge groups of Americans! We always drove to the resort as we were tucked away in a corner on Oakbourne . The cars were quite annoying but worse was the day we were leaving, all packed up, and heading out of the resort, we got stuck behind the garbage men who kept stopping (understandable), but never at a place where we could pass them! It seemed deliberate! We ended up turning round and and going the other way!