Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 25 Sep 19, 06:20 PM  
Link to this Post
Nimbus
Imagineer

Nimbus's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 8
Restaurant Reviews: 21

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 36
Guidebook Reviews: 2
Originally Posted by YorkshireT View Post
"Less people are attending the parks but Disney is making more money. That's actually a win-win for Disney. And also a good thing for those guests that are visiting; one of the major guest complaints is how crowded the parks are."

True. But I think 'are' should be replaced with 'were'. We are not sure if it has now tipped too far, and profits are decreasing.
Well, we don't know whether less people are attending now. It sounds like the parks are getting busy again.

But, yes, it should say "Less people were attending the parks but Disney was making more money when that happened". My comment was based on the figures from earlier this year.

~ Trip Report Indexes ~
Nimbus is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Sep 19, 07:23 PM  
Link to this Post
Moorlandman
Imagineer

Moorlandman's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Mobile

Originally Posted by Stitchesmumanddad View Post
We are here now and the prices coupled with the rubbish dollar rate means everything is just SO expensive ! Every where you turn Disney are trying to nickle and dime you for something ! Obviously the extensions have cost a fortune but its just silly now. Chef Mickey with tax and tip was $106 for two adults yesterday and thats with my AP discount !
It may be costing you a lot more but as Nimbus says, it’s a price worth paying😀😀
Moorlandman is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Sep 19, 10:15 PM  
Link to this Post
Nimbus
Imagineer

Nimbus's Reviews

theDIBB Guidebook
Originally Posted by Moorlandman View Post
It may be costing you a lot more but as Nimbus says, it’s a price worth paying😀😀
Did I say that?

Even if I didn’t I must think that because I have a holiday booked for next year (assuming I can get some flights now that I’ve lost my Thomas Cook flights).

But, yes, Disney is expensive.

~ Trip Report Indexes ~
Nimbus is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Sep 19, 09:54 AM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

Mobile

Disney has just announced 20% off all tickets of 4+ days for Canadian Residents to the end of the year. Think this must show bookings are down.
Old 26 Sep 19, 11:07 AM  
Link to this Post
Nimbus
Imagineer

Nimbus's Reviews

theDIBB Guidebook
Disney has just announced 20% off all tickets of 4+ days for Canadian Residents to the end of the year. Think this must show bookings are down.
Well, it might imply that Canadian bookings are down. Although I should point out this deal has happened for the last few years. Back in September 2016, Canadians could get 25% off the price of 4+ day tickets:

forums.redflagdeals/disn...-2017-2041358/

And also in 2017 they could get 20% off WDW tickets and 25% off DLC tickets:

forums.redflagdeals/walt...-soon-2138650/

It's a yearly thing. A bit like how Disney UK offers free dining to UK guests or 14 days for the price of 7 every year. It doesn't mean bookings and attendance are down; it's just a means to generate more sales. Because people like to think they are getting a deal.

BTW, I don't disagree with you that bookings are down. Disney themselves have said attendance was down back in August. The bit that I challenged was whether Disney's "prices have just got too high" and whether hard times were coming for WDW (and only WDW).

Assuming I watched the same DISunplugged video as yourself, even Pete Werner suggested several reasons why bookings are down, not just because of Disney's high prices. You mentioned one yourself - the US may be about to go into recession in 6+ months time. That won't just affect WDW, it'll affect everyone. It's just that WDW might be seeing the effect earlier than others.

And even if bookings are down, we all know that people will still say that this year is busier than last time they visited. Because that's just what happens.

~ Trip Report Indexes ~

Edited at 11:12 AM.
Old 26 Sep 19, 11:20 AM  
Link to this Post
dreamisawish
slightly serious Dibber

Mobile

We are going in 2020 but only 5 nights onsite because we just couldn’t afford to do a whole two weeks in a Disney hotel, even a value. Looking at their prices compared to other hotels in Orlando, they are just so inflated.

I’ve been watching vlogs this month and all I’ve seen is short waits and very empty parks, so something is up.

I think it could be a variety of things
- people planning trips around this time of year where put off by Star Wars opening and thought there would be record crowds so postponed
- people planning a once in a lifetime trip are waiting until 2021 for the anniversary when a lot more attractions will be open.
- people have avoided sept because of the last few years hurricanes
- the pricing is pricing people out

I think pricing is probably the biggest factor.

I was watching DFB and they said Disney had offered free dining for US residents twice this year, and once is over Christmas which is apparently unheard of! Seems like they are trying to get some more bookings in to me.

DLP | June 2015 | Dec 2016 | Sept 2017 | Oct 2017 | Nov 2018

WDW | April 2009 | Feb 2019
dreamisawish is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Sep 19, 11:50 AM  
Link to this Post
Squidgyness
Very Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by dreamisawish View Post
We are going in 2020 but only 5 nights onsite because we just couldn’t afford to do a whole two weeks in a Disney hotel, even a value. Looking at their prices compared to other hotels in Orlando, they are just so inflated.

I’ve been watching vlogs this month and all I’ve seen is short waits and very empty parks, so something is up.

I think it could be a variety of things
- people planning trips around this time of year where put off by Star Wars opening and thought there would be record crowds so postponed
- people planning a once in a lifetime trip are waiting until 2021 for the anniversary when a lot more attractions will be open.
- people have avoided sept because of the last few years hurricanes
- the pricing is pricing people out

I think pricing is probably the biggest factor.

I was watching DFB and they said Disney had offered free dining for US residents twice this year, and once is over Christmas which is apparently unheard of! Seems like they are trying to get some more bookings in to me.
I've said it before and I'll say it again, when I can get Royal Pacific Resort for 2 weeks with complimentary Express passes for the same price or less (checked several times) as Port Orleans, it's clear that WDW hotels are far, far overpriced for their accommodation quality. Just checking today, with Virgin for early sep 2020 RPR is £400 cheaper (!) than POR, still £200 cheaper even including a water view. That is just... nuts.

Now the extra benefits, there's the rub. For us, we've never felt like they would make a huge difference. Last year we stayed at Universal - essentially the furthest decent hotel in Orlando you can get from Disney. We got to the parks every morning at or just after opening, and we didn't even have a car. Not once did I find myself wishing I'd spent twice the amount on a comparable Disney hotel (which imo would be about the level of Yacht Club). The money we saved on accommodation more than paid for our food for the trip.

I wonder if more guests are feeling this way, staying offsite and travelling into Disney. I just can't help but wonder if the truly rich who wouldn't balk at paying five figures for a holiday would stay in WDW hotels. But, they must have done the research.
96/98/03/06/09 - Offsite Kissimmee/I-Drive
17/18 - Universal RPR

Edited at 11:53 AM.
Squidgyness is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Sep 19, 12:40 PM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
YT. That to me means they are looking for further financial opportunities so have decided to target the early Snowbirds.

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976
Mr Tom Morrow is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Sep 19, 02:27 PM  
Link to this Post
Nimbus
Imagineer

Nimbus's Reviews

theDIBB Guidebook
Originally Posted by Mr Tom Morrow View Post
YT. That to me means they are looking for further financial opportunities so have decided to target the early Snowbirds.
As mentioned earlier, it is a yearly discount that has happened for the last 4 years. And you may be right that it exists to target the Snowbirds.

~ Trip Report Indexes ~
Old 26 Sep 19, 02:32 PM  
Link to this Post
dreamisawish
slightly serious Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by Squidgyness View Post
I've said it before and I'll say it again, when I can get Royal Pacific Resort for 2 weeks with complimentary Express passes for the same price or less (checked several times) as Port Orleans, it's clear that WDW hotels are far, far overpriced for their accommodation quality. Just checking today, with Virgin for early sep 2020 RPR is £400 cheaper (!) than POR, still £200 cheaper even including a water view. That is just... nuts.

Now the extra benefits, there's the rub. For us, we've never felt like they would make a huge difference. Last year we stayed at Universal - essentially the furthest decent hotel in Orlando you can get from Disney. We got to the parks every morning at or just after opening, and we didn't even have a car. Not once did I find myself wishing I'd spent twice the amount on a comparable Disney hotel (which imo would be about the level of Yacht Club). The money we saved on accommodation more than paid for our food for the trip.

I wonder if more guests are feeling this way, staying offsite and travelling into Disney. I just can't help but wonder if the truly rich who wouldn't balk at paying five figures for a holiday would stay in WDW hotels. But, they must have done the research.
We did the exact same, stayed at Cabana Bay and ubered into Disney each morning, which was only four days out of our 7 days as we did universal the rest. Cabana bay was so much cheaper then even a value, though we did get it on the BA January sale. With flights it was £550 each for the week.

Next year we do 5 nights on property and the following 9 nights at universals endless summer and will Uber back to Disney for some days. Our five nights at Coronado- including an upgrade to full dining and park ticket for two weeks was £2,000, our 9 nights at endless summer was £520 altogether. I know that’s not including food and tickets but it’s so much cheaper.

We are only staying at Disney because this will be my first ever time staying on property and I’m really looking forward to experiencing it, as I’m sure a lot of other people do, but we couldn’t justify staying longer then the five days we needed for free dining.

DLP | June 2015 | Dec 2016 | Sept 2017 | Oct 2017 | Nov 2018

WDW | April 2009 | Feb 2019
dreamisawish is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List