Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 27 Sep 19, 08:46 PM  
Link to this Post
Pumpkin Pie
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Mel49 View Post
I was diagnosed with bowel cancer at 49 as consultant ordered a Colonoscopy as a pre-op test for another op. Luckily it was caught at Stage 1 and apart from bowel resection and temporary Ileostomy no other treatment was required although will get regular checks for life. I am in Scotland so while it would have been caught after my test at 50 if no symptoms by then it would have been more advanced and I now do the test as soon as it arrives and nag everyone I know to do the same. As there have been other cases in our family my kids have to get testing from age 45 albeit long way off for them.

On the breast screening side I am now 53 and having checked the tests are way behind in our area but should get called for it at the beginning of next year and once again will not hesitate to go.
I was diagnosed with breast cancer before my 52nd birthday - my first screening date hadn’t arrived by then. I wish I had chased them earlier as it would have been easier to treat (it had spread into my lymph nodes).
Pumpkin Pie is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Sep 19, 08:57 PM  
Link to this Post
Sioux
Apprentice Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Mr Tom Morrow View Post
What a great attitude, well done. My philosophy is not to overthink things. They have seen it a thousand times before and will see it a thousand times more.
I had 5 nurses, a technician and a Consultant around me last Friday and I couldn't have cared less.
I did like the Nurse though who made me a ham sandwich and a black coffee!
Now if there's a buffet on when I go I'll be asking if I can come every week! 😉🤣
Sioux is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Sep 19, 08:59 PM  
Link to this Post
Mel49
Imagineer

Mel49's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 3
Originally Posted by Pumpkin Pie View Post
I was diagnosed with breast cancer before my 52nd birthday - my first screening date hadn’t arrived by then. I wish I had chased them earlier as it would have been easier to treat (it had spread into my lymph nodes).
This is part of the problem that whenever they have a cut off date there will always unfortunately be people diagnosed before that age. Given the numerous tests I had initially as they thought my cancer had spread I know anything else should have been picked up. Even though I've chased the date it can't be brought forward unless any real concerns and have to wait until called so just do self-checks meantime.

I hope your treatment was ultimately successful.
Mel49 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Sep 19, 09:09 PM  
Link to this Post
Posiesmum
VIP Dibber

Posiesmum's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 3

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 2
Guidebook Photos: 3
Husband was diagnosed very early with bowel cancer in 1997. This was down to our excellent GP who referred him quickly, it was 10 days between him presenting at the GP and his operation. It was so early that they were able to remove it all and he needed no chemo or radiotherapy.
He also had a family history of it so our daughter has a full colonoscopy every 3 years (she hates them!)
We have both completed 2 kits and been all clear. I’d be inclined to ask for one even after 74. If anyone gets sent one DO IT. It’s an ‘interesting’ process but worth it for the peace of mind.

Villefranche-sur-Mer/Monaco - June and July 2024
Orlando for Thanksgiving - November/December 2024
Belfast/Dublin/Vancouver - June 2025
Posiesmum is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Sep 19, 09:20 PM  
Link to this Post
Pumpkin Pie
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Mel49 View Post
This is part of the problem that whenever they have a cut off date there will always unfortunately be people diagnosed before that age. Given the numerous tests I had initially as they thought my cancer had spread I know anything else should have been picked up. Even though I've chased the date it can't be brought forward unless any real concerns and have to wait until called so just do self-checks meantime.

I hope your treatment was ultimately successful.
Yes - thank you. I have been one of the lucky ones (don’t really like saying that though as I never take things for granted). It was an aggressive cancer and I was given additional treatments (in Scotland) which, if I had lived in England, I would not have received at that time.
Pumpkin Pie is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Sep 19, 09:00 AM  
Link to this Post
Sally42
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Posiesmum View Post
Husband was diagnosed very early with bowel cancer in 1997. This was down to our excellent GP who referred him quickly, it was 10 days between him presenting at the GP and his operation. It was so early that they were able to remove it all and he needed no chemo or radiotherapy.
He also had a family history of it so our daughter has a full colonoscopy every 3 years (she hates them!)
We have both completed 2 kits and been all clear. I’d be inclined to ask for one even after 74. If anyone gets sent one DO IT. It’s an ‘interesting’ process but worth it for the peace of mind.
Regarding family history, has he ever been tested for Lynch Syndrome?
Sally x
Sally42 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Sep 19, 09:29 AM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by Sandra & co View Post
I got a letter for a test today, I’m 55 and don’t want to go! If I don’t will they call me again, I’ve had a colonoscopy years ago and they found a polyps and said I had ibs. I might go in the future but October is too soon, I have to talk myself into it first!
I had the same letter last year, The appointment was for when we were on holiday anyway so I phoned to cancel, she said I could rearrange anytime in the next 5 years. I still keep putting it off, I also had a colonoscopy years ago, I know both the prep and procedure isn’t as bad for this test but I still don’t want to do it.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Sep 19, 09:34 AM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
Originally Posted by dotb View Post
I had the same letter last year, The appointment was for when we were on holiday anyway so I phoned to cancel, she said I could rearrange anytime in the next 5 years. I still keep putting it off, I also had a colonoscopy years ago, I know both the prep and procedure isn’t as bad for this test but I still don’t want to do it.
I'm not sure what the prep is for the bowel screening. I do know however that for a sigmoidoscopy it's bloody awful I detest those powders you have to take. Vile.
Sadly I have had to do it 3 times in the last 6 years.

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976
Mr Tom Morrow is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Sep 19, 09:41 AM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by Mr Tom Morrow View Post
I'm not sure what the prep is for the bowel screening. I do know however that for a sigmoidoscopy it's bloody awful I detest those powders you have to take. Vile.
Sadly I have had to do it 3 times in the last 6 years.
I had to do it twice I agree - disgusting.
According to the info I got with the letter they send a kit for you to do your own enema shortly before the appointment time 😳
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Sep 19, 10:25 AM  
Link to this Post
olgaandcoda
Imagineer

olgaandcoda's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Mobile

We didn’t get the kit until we turned 60. We call them Pooh sticks!
Easy to do and essential!