Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 11 Jun 19, 09:48 AM  
Link to this Post
rudeboy
Trading Disney Pins

rudeboy's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Connecting flight via JFK worries

So I only have 2hrs 10 min to catch a connecting flight flying from Edinburgh via JFK. I understand this could be very tight. Is there anything I can do over there if it looks like we are going to miss it. I read some threads were you can get fast tracked . is this a thing? Has it happened to anyone?
rudeboy is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Jun 19, 10:06 AM  
Link to this Post
BucksBugsy
All round good bloke

I do understand your worry. When we flew back last August we flew from MCO to Atlanta and then onto LHR with only 40 minutes to change planes at ATL but we did it but it was close.

I would hope that 2hours at JFK would have been enough.
Old 11 Jun 19, 10:55 AM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by rudeboy View Post
So I only have 2hrs 10 min to catch a connecting flight flying from Edinburgh via JFK. I understand this could be very tight. Is there anything I can do over there if it looks like we are going to miss it. I read some threads were you can get fast tracked . is this a thing? Has it happened to anyone?
No I don't think fast tracking through immigration because of a tight connection is a thing. I think there is every chance you will have enough time, although personally, being very risk averse, I would have got a longer connection, can you change it?
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Jun 19, 11:20 AM  
Link to this Post
rudeboy
Trading Disney Pins

rudeboy's Reviews
Originally Posted by Claudette View Post
No I don't think fast tracking through immigration because of a tight connection is a thing. I think there is every chance you will have enough time, although personally, being very risk averse, I would have got a longer connection, can you change it?
I didn't think it was a thing but on a search I saw some comments were people were given an orange slip when leaving plane to help with getting to next . I think it's too late to change it and any change will mean delay anyway so just have to take my chances I guess.
Old 11 Jun 19, 12:19 PM  
Link to this Post
fiffio
Imagineer

The orange slip is TSA preapproved which does tend to lead to being able to go through a different queues at security where the queue is often shorter.

We've done this route a couple of times and its been fine although you wont have much time to relax and have a shifty around by the time the next flight boards...
fiffio is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Jun 19, 12:28 PM  
Link to this Post
claireyfairy8
Apprentice Imagineer

claireyfairy8's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 6

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 1
Sometimes the people directing you through the immigration lines will ask people if they have tight connections, however they won't deem 2hrs 10 as tight. They mean 45mins or less.

2hrs is fine to get through JFK.
claireyfairy8 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Jun 19, 12:34 PM  
Link to this Post
Carolynmf
Apprentice Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 1
It also depends which airline you are flying through. If you arrive on a Delta flight and have a Delta internal flight, then you do not need to change terminals.
Carolynmf is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Jun 19, 12:44 PM  
Link to this Post
ABZLocal
Excited about Disney

Who is it you are flying with on both legs? If American Airlines (AA) for example, then you will be in the same terminal and will be very straightforward.
ABZLocal is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Jun 19, 01:04 PM  
Link to this Post
rudeboy
Trading Disney Pins

rudeboy's Reviews
I'm flying with Delta both legs. Doing a search I've seen stories of it taking 2hrs to clear customs and immigration depending on how many flights arrive at same time. So a little anxious about it but realise that's not the norm.
Old 11 Jun 19, 01:20 PM  
Link to this Post
ABZLocal
Excited about Disney

I'm flying with Delta both legs. Doing a search I've seen stories of it taking 2hrs to clear customs and immigration depending on how many flights arrive at same time. So a little anxious about it but realise that's not the norm.
It is always possible that it can take that long but unusual. Have a look at the link below and see how long the wait times have been historically around the time of your flight.

cbp.gov/travel/advisories-wait-times

Also, as a contingency, I like to have options in case of delays. See when the next flight is after your one. Check your dates and see, there is usually a later DL flight around 17:30pm arriving in 22:30.

Edit: Also remember that most connections do go without a hitch so don't worry about it, although that does depend on you. I'd have no worries about that connection and have done less at JFK with kids and transferring terminal.

Edited at 01:22 PM.
ABZLocal is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List