Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 27 Jun 19, 03:54 PM  
Link to this Post

School office interview - help!

Any Dibbers work in a school office that can advise me?

Got an interview next week for part-time school office reception and admin. Haven't had an interview in 9 years and never one for school position. What will they ask me?

These positions are very hard to even get shortlisted for as have applied for loads recently. Also I need to take an item to talk about which reflects me, my personality and ethos. Now slightly nervous...

Any advice appreciated
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Jun 19, 04:12 PM  
Link to this Post
DisneyWannabe
Imagineer

I'm a Bursar in a primary school, I would be looking at your IT skills, particularly if you have any Management Information System (MIS) experience (SIMS or CMIS).

I would want to know that you would be able update all the many software packages we have in school that need a transfer of data every so often. Problem solving skills (you will need these in spades!), how you would deal with a safeguarding matter, how you would deal with a parent query. I would also be looking for basic finance skills too.

The item that reflects you would obviously be personal to you. Good luck!
Old 27 Jun 19, 04:41 PM  
Link to this Post
DFussy
Very Serious Dibber

Mobile

Ive gone for a few interviews for similar positions, and still trying so good luck as i know how hard it is.

My interviews have been varied, but most ask what you understand about safeguarding, so might be worth looking at schools safeguarding policy on the web.

Around half of them have asked what i would do in a hypothetical situation, sometimes with a practical exercise outside of the main interview. Ie you come in and these six things are happening. How do you deal with them and prioritise them. I've also been asked to find parents details on system, to test my computer skills,and write letter/circular. I find the practical bits easier than standard interview questions, about my strengths and weaknesses.

My recommendation would be if possible to build on what you put in your application, in relevant questions, as that got you the interview. Im sure they are also assessing how you would fit in their team so try and be yourself.

Its really hard to get these type of jobs as there is normally always someone on the shortlist with school experience, and getting to the shortlist is an achievement in itself, and indication that you have relevant experience, so keep trying and good luck.
DFussy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Jun 19, 04:44 PM  
Link to this Post
Abbysmum
Apprentice Imagineer

I work in a primary school office, I'd say one of the most important things is safeguarding. Being able to multi-task is vital as well as problem solving. All schools have a management information system which is where all pupil data is stored, unless you have worked in a school you probably won't have any experience in using them. We use a programme called Scholarpack or the most popular SIMS and they are very easy to learn I'd never used it before. IT skills are essential nowadays.

Our office gets crazy in a morning, teachers needing things, the phone ringing, parents at the office, kids handing money in. You'll probably be asked for example of how you can multi task, stay calm under pressure etc.

Good luck, I love working in our school.
Abbysmum is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Jun 19, 08:57 PM  
Link to this Post
Gabsnoot
Imagineer

I work in a school office and would agree with everything said so far. I was also asked about data protection and what I understood about it at interview, I was also given a scenario relating to it and asked to describe how I would respond in the situation.

I have been doing the job for 2 years now and it is great. It’s super busy and there is loads of variety so the days just fly by.
Gabsnoot is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Jun 19, 09:19 PM  
Link to this Post
lottiesmum0
VIP Dibber

There will definately be a safeguarding question - look at the school safeguarding policy.
There also may be a question about dealing with an awkward parent
Understanding of school systems SIMS etc.

Good luck
Old 27 Jun 19, 09:53 PM  
Link to this Post
f1girly
Imagineer

Agree with all the above. If you'll be speaking to parents they could ask you :

how you would pacify an angry parent - be calm, polite and ask them to start from the beginning as you want to hear their full story before you can help them

how you would act if a child disclosed a child protection issue to you - you must never promise to the child that you will keep it a secret, as soon as you can you would write down exactly what they said, so that the facts are still accurate in your head are now on paper, as this could be used in court, then you would find the DSP designated senior person (that's what they are called in my school anyway) and not disclose any details about it to any other members of staff at all.

What would you prioritise if you had a number of things to do - child injury first, parents next, admin next.

Schools are having a drive on Mental health in the workplace atm, so mention that you would help others if you can see they need something done urgently which they are getting stressed about. And that you would ask for help if you needed it.

My school doesn't allow staff to have extra piercings or tattoos on show so that may be worth thinking about.

Definitely read their latest Ofsted report, it should be on their website. Try and use one of the positive comments in it in relation to the job role.

The school should have their SIP (school improvement plan in my school ) on their website, if you can pop something that they have identified they have identified that they need to improve on into the conversation in relation to the role, it will really show you've done your research.

Best of luck.
f1girly is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Jun 19, 09:52 AM  
Link to this Post

Thanks everyone. Spending the weekend planning what to say. Also looking around another school in the week for a different admin/more hours role.

Busy week coming up on top of interview and look around, both DSs have school inductions - youngest at senior school for yr7, eldest at 3 different 6th form schools, will depend on GCSE results/options which one he chooses in Aug. Time for Mums taxi service.
Old 28 Jun 19, 01:59 PM  
Link to this Post
Pino_Spetzberg
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by aitchieaitchie View Post
Any Dibbers work in a school office that can advise me?
Depends on the school maybe.
Struggle to keep staff these days at a neighbour''s school. Had the same women working with her since the '80s, all good friends. They retire then are asked back on fewer hours.
The younger replacements leave after a few months to do something else. Two girls went to work in LIDL.
Too much expected for the pay, increasing responsibility for things they can't control, attitude of highly salaried heads, budget cuts worsening morale, kids behaviour problems, and dealing with stroppy high maintenance parents. Social problems landing on your lap, integrating different cultures.
She's looking forward to retiring herself next July.
Pino_Spetzberg is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Jun 19, 02:34 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by Pino_Spetzberg View Post
Depends on the school maybe.
Struggle to keep staff these days at a neighbour''s school. Had the same women working with her since the '80s, all good friends. They retire then are asked back on fewer hours.
The younger replacements leave after a few months to do something else. Two girls went to work in LIDL.
Too much expected for the pay, increasing responsibility for things they can't control, attitude of highly salaried heads, budget cuts worsening morale, kids behaviour problems, and dealing with stroppy high maintenance parents. Social problems landing on your lap, integrating different cultures.
She's looking forward to retiring herself next July.
Can't be any worse that working for local council, I escaped after 9 years, low pay, not appreciated, don't care if your face doesn't fit. Anything has to be better...