Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 29 Jul 19, 12:48 PM  
Link to this Post
YummyMummyx
Excited about Disney

2 hrs 20 mins, is this a through ticket

Sorry to sound silly but someone was saying to me that you needed to have 3 hrs minimum connection time for your ticket to be classed as a through ticket? Is this right?

I assumed when I booked altogether it was classed as a through ticket, phoned BA and the man didn't have a clue what a through ticket was and couldn't help me
YummyMummyx is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Jul 19, 01:02 PM  
Link to this Post
DisneyWannabe
Imagineer

Mobile

If your booking is all on one reference (when you log in you can see both legs of your flight) you are definitely on a through ticket.

Depending on where you are connecting you should be fine, we just connected through JFK with a 2 hour connection and although tight was doable.

Just look when getting off the plane to see if there are signs for quick connections and if so follow them, it will get you through immigration a lot faster.
Old 29 Jul 19, 01:05 PM  
Link to this Post
jools1302
Apprentice Imagineer

jools1302's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Mobile

Hi,

I’m no expert but I class a through ticket as ...I check in at the airport and I don’t see my cases again till I get to the USA despite changing flights (usually in Amsterdam) and my journey is booked from start to finish with the same airline group. And i’ve never had 3 hours between flights... hope that makes sense 😂😂
Old 29 Jul 19, 01:27 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by YummyMummyx View Post
Sorry to sound silly but someone was saying to me that you needed to have 3 hrs minimum connection time for your ticket to be classed as a through ticket? Is this right?

I assumed when I booked altogether it was classed as a through ticket, phoned BA and the man didn't have a clue what a through ticket was and couldn't help me
No that is definitely not right, the connection time can be anything. Whether it is a through ticket or not depends on how it was booked.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Jul 19, 02:08 PM  
Link to this Post
YummyMummyx
Excited about Disney

Thanks guys I kind of knew I was right but the person had me questioning myself lol. I was starting to think I was maybe wrong.
YummyMummyx is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Jul 19, 02:14 PM  
Link to this Post
Mel49
Imagineer

Mel49's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 3
I'm flying BA on a through ticket Edin-Gatwick-MCO and have 1hr 45 min connection time each way but have had connections varying from 1hr 50 mins to 7 hrs in the past.

What flights have you actually booked and are they both BA or one of their partners? If you have independently booked the first flight eg through Ryanair and then the second is with BA it won't be a through ticket and if you fly into Heathrow and then out from Gatwick that wouldn"t be classed as through ticket as you have to collect luggage but I can't think of anything that equates to a 3 hour rule.

Edited at 02:16 PM.
Mel49 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Jul 19, 02:37 PM  
Link to this Post
YummyMummyx
Excited about Disney

Originally Posted by Mel49 View Post
I'm flying BA on a through ticket Edin-Gatwick-MCO and have 1hr 45 min connection time each way but have had connections varying from 1hr 50 mins to 7 hrs in the past.

What flights have you actually booked and are they both BA or one of their partners? If you have independently booked the first flight eg through Ryanair and then the second is with BA it won't be a through ticket and if you fly into Heathrow and then out from Gatwick that wouldn"t be classed as through ticket as you have to collect luggage but I can't think of anything that equates to a 3 hour rule.
Im same as you except GLA-GTW-MCO.. All booked at once so def a through ticket. I really was starting to wonder though?
Old 29 Jul 19, 03:26 PM  
Link to this Post
stanleycamel
VIP Dibber

stanleycamel's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by Mel49 View Post

A route of (example only) BA Manchester-Heathrow-Gatwick-Orlando return if under one reference would still be classed as a "through ticket" if it is booked under a single PNR (Passenger Name Record - sometimes referred to by Dibb members as a reference number) - it is the change of airports that mean you have to collect your luggage which doesn't affect the status of the ticket.

If we use the example Mel gave of Ryanair booked independently then another booking with BA it is not a through ticket or even called a connection as they are separate contracts/flights.

It's complicated - Peko has provided an excellent explanation on the next page.

Edited at 03:34 PM.
stanleycamel is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Jul 19, 03:26 PM  
Link to this Post
7SeasSailor
Imagineer

If I'm on a through ticket, ideally I want at least 2 hours to transfer between aircraft. I am happier with 2.5 hours up to 3 hours. In some airports you have to cross the airport using a train or monorail to get to your next gate. In some, the gates are just about adjacent. I also want to know that if I miss my connection there are more flights that evening to which I can be transferred. I accept that I may not be transferred to the next flight but to the next flight with available seats.
Old 29 Jul 19, 03:30 PM  
Link to this Post
Peko
Imagineer

If the BA agent didn’t know what was meant by a “through ticket”, this is because in the airline world such a term does not exist (though the meaning should be reasonably self-explanatory).

Not clear for the average consumer, but what matters from the airline perspective to protect a connection and check baggage through, is that all sectors are on a single ticket. A “ticket” (which for legacy carrier like BA will have a 13 digit number, starting with 125 in BA’s case) also has a specific meaning for the airline, and is not necessarily the same as a “booking”. A booking (which has the 6 character alphanumeric reference) may contain multiple tickets. Confused yet? However, if you’ve booked all flights in a connecting itinerary at the same time and directly with the airline, a single booking will almost certainly mean a single ticket.

The 3 hour time thing is a red herring, this doesn’t exist as a fixed concept. Every flight connection sold is subject to a Minimum Connection Time (MCT). MCT will vary depending on the airline, airport and/or route combination being sold, it can be anything from 30 mins to several hours. A connection below MCT should not be sold, since it will not be protected by the airline. This is why, when schedule changes bring a connection time below MCT, airlines are obliged to rebook for free.

For a domestic to international connection on BA at LGW, 2h20 is easily allowed to be sold on a single ticket (or through ticket ). The MCT for this would be 1h15. Of course, that doesn’t always mean the MCT is “enough”, just that the airline is willing to sell such a connection and take responsibility for through checking baggage, getting you to destination if the connection is missed.

Hope this helps

Edited at 03:32 PM.
Peko is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List