Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 2 Sep 19, 10:19 AM  
Link to this Post
Reed
Surfing at Typhoon Lagoon

Time left on passport and ESTA

Hello,

My wife's passport expires in April next year with our Florida trip planned for October. I've just read something about having enough time left on passport for the two-year ESTA period? Do you need a full two years on your passport to get an ESTA or will it be just that the ESTA will expire when the passport does and a new ESTA will be required if we wanted to go to the US again on a new passport?

Thanks!
Reed is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Sep 19, 10:24 AM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
A UK passport only needs to be valid for the dates of travel. An ESTA is only approval to travel to the USA and therefore only needs to be valid for the day of outbound travel.

An ESTA is linked SPECIFICALLY to a passport number. New passport = new ESTA. Other than that an ESTA lasts for 2 years and you can travel on it on any day during its validity.

Which October did you mean?

Mick
Old 2 Sep 19, 10:27 AM  
Link to this Post
Budmiester
Excited about Disney

Your ESTA is valid up to the expiry date of your passport or for 2 years whichever is first. My last ESTA was issued August 2018 but expired Feb 2019 due to the expiry date of my passport. I renewed my passport and reapplied for a new ESTA which is now valid for a full 2 years.
Budmiester is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Sep 19, 10:46 AM  
Link to this Post
Thorpy
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Reed View Post
Hello,

My wife's passport expires in April next year with our Florida trip planned for October. I've just read something about having enough time left on passport for the two-year ESTA period? Do you need a full two years on your passport to get an ESTA or will it be just that the ESTA will expire when the passport does and a new ESTA will be required if we wanted to go to the US again on a new passport?

Thanks!
If you're going this October and don't have an ESTA, I'd suggest you sort one out.
If you are a law abiding citizen with no reason to expect a refusal, then chances are it will be granted. By "chances are", I mean it's almost guaranteed, but I can't say guaranteed as there is the slimmest element of doubt. In the event you have unfortunately got the same name as a terrorist or somebody has cocked up your passport records, you may get refused. If this refusal happens there is a recourse in the form of a VISA, but they can take weeks to months to sort out, which for an October holiday you don't have.
If you don't get an ESTA, and can't sort the VISA in time, your insurance will not pay out, and you may lose your holiday.

Really unlikely anything will happen...but if it does, it can be devastating.
Old 2 Sep 19, 10:58 AM  
Link to this Post
Reed

Great, thanks both.

So I just started the ESTA process and got to the review section and the system told me that I already have a valid application. So I logged in to the group used for our previous application and we both have ESTAs valid until April next year (we applied before going to California in 2018) so it appears we're all good. Does the following look fine for travel to the US next month, Oct 4-19th:

Me:
Passport expires: 2025
ESTA (for above passport) valid until: 4 Apr 2020

Wife:
Passport expires: 26 Apr 2020
ESTA (for above passport) valid until: 4 Apr 2020

Looks OK in terms of passports and ESTAs?

Thanks again.
Old 2 Sep 19, 11:01 AM  
Link to this Post
Thorpy
Imagineer

Looks spot on !

Both passport and ESTA have to be valid on day of travel, and passport has to be valid the day you come home.
Old 2 Sep 19, 11:37 AM  
Link to this Post
disney20042012
Imagineer

Did you go any further through the ESTA application, just thinking of a recent thread where a dibber started an application but never finished it so when she arrived at the airport to check in she was denied boarding as the recent unfinished application made any previous ESTA's invalid.
Old Key West, Saratoga Springs, Animal Kingdom Lodge, Saratoga Treehouse, Beach Club, Coronado Springs Resort, Hard Rock Hotel, Royal Pacific Resort, Endless Summer Dockside, Pop Century, Polynesian Resort, Disneyland Villa's, Aulani
disney20042012 is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Sep 19, 12:06 PM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Originally Posted by disney20042012 View Post
Did you go any further through the ESTA application, just thinking of a recent thread where a dibber started an application but never finished it so when she arrived at the airport to check in she was denied boarding as the recent unfinished application made any previous ESTA's invalid.
Reed

Sorry to endorse this post but yes you need to read Rachy's experiences on here from a couple of week's ago.

She arrived at the airport and had doubts as to the validity of her ESTA. Hindsight is a wonderful gift but instead of checking the validity of her ESTA she started a new process and got to the "you've already got one warning" She aborted that application but unfortunately she'd gone too far in the application process and it cancelled her current and valid ESTA. I think that risk was unknown to the vast majority of Dibbers. It was to us.

Can I suggest you go on the official site and retrieve your ESTAs now and check the validity. You'll need your P/P with you.

Fingers crossed

Mick
Old 2 Sep 19, 12:07 PM  
Link to this Post
Reed

Originally Posted by disney20042012 View Post
No. I got to a screen stating I had another valid ESTA with two options that were cancel current application and retain existing authorisation, or continue with a new application. I selected the first then logged in to my existing (2018) group and viewed the current, valid applications. I expect if I'd chosen the second option that might have invalidated my existing authorisation, though I would hope that would only be if I completed and submitted a new application including payment... but maybe not.
Old 2 Sep 19, 12:13 PM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Originally Posted by Reed View Post
No. I got to a screen stating I had another valid ESTA with two options that were cancel current application and retain existing authorisation, or continue with a new application. I selected the first then logged in to my existing (2018) group and viewed the current, valid applications. I expect if I'd chosen the second option that might have invalidated my existing authorisation, though I would hope that would only be if I completed and submitted a new application including payment... but maybe not.
My post #8 crossed with this