Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 27 Sep 19, 05:51 PM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
Bowel Screening - Stops At 74

Like many of us I have the option of doing a bowel screening test every 2 years. Easy to do and get a result within about a week. Had my results yesterday and fine like the previous 2 have also been.

However why does it stop when one is 74? Is it that the message is we don't care about those people over that age? Now I know you can continue with the tests but you have to ring up for a kit. Why?

Putting this to one side though please do this test if you get a kit. So easy to do and can be a life saver.

NHS bowel cancer screening is only offered to people aged 55 or over, as this is when you're more likely to get bowel cancer:

if you're 55, you'll automatically be invited for a one-off bowel scope screening test, if it's available in your area
if you're 60 to 74, you'll automatically be invited to do a home testing kit every 2 years
if you're 75 or over, you can ask for a home testing kit every 2 years by calling the free bowel cancer screening helpline on 0800 707 60 60

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976

Edited at 05:52 PM.
Mr Tom Morrow is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Sep 19, 05:56 PM  
Link to this Post
disney332
Imagineer

I did mine a couple of months ago, the second one for me and all fine.

Glad you are ok, and agree its a test worth doing.

Stops at 74 ? Cant explain that one?

Disney332
Old 27 Sep 19, 05:58 PM  
Link to this Post
fefifoe
Apprentice Imagineer

fefifoe's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 2
as someone who lost her mother age 59 to bowel cancer I think thats completely wrong. Unfortunatly bowel cancer runs in my maternal family side, grandma, her brothers, great grandfather and no idea how many further back than that all had bowel cancer. Luckily in Scotland we start screening at 50 but also stops automatically screening here at 74 , I, if i'm lucky enough to avoid it will still be worried at that age that I will still get it so I for one will be calling up for my kit once i hit that age.
It does kinda feel like they are saying ah well at 74 is not worth us checking and catching it early - thats wrong!
Old 27 Sep 19, 05:58 PM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Originally Posted by disney332 View Post
I did mine a couple of months ago, the second one for me and all fine.

Glad you are ok, and agree its a test worth doing.

Stops at 74 ? Cant explain that one?

Disney332
I keep saying the NHS cannot be all things to all people but lets be honest these tests are cheap to do.
One suspects it's all done by machine.

Mr Tom Morrow is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Sep 19, 06:03 PM  
Link to this Post
disney332
Imagineer

I wont go into detail, but to complete the test can be a challenge and made me and Mrs Disney332, have a few belly laughs as a consequence.

Disney332
Old 27 Sep 19, 06:05 PM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Originally Posted by disney332 View Post
I wont go into detail, but to complete the test can be a challenge and made me and Mrs Disney332, have a few belly laughs as a consequence.

Disney332
Please tell me you didn't complete it together.

Being serious it can be a bit awkward but practice makes perfect.

Edit. Well darn me. It's on the BBC Wales News as I type this!

Edited at 06:07 PM.
Old 27 Sep 19, 06:07 PM  
Link to this Post
BevS97
VIP Dibber

BevS97's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 7

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 9
Guidebook Photos: 18
Guidebook Reviews: 7
My mum did the test and they found cancer very early which meant she had treatment and has now been clear for over 6 years. Definitely worth doing.
BevS97 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Link to this Post
Pumpkin Pie
Imagineer

Originally Posted by fefifoe View Post
as someone who lost her mother age 59 to bowel cancer I think thats completely wrong. Unfortunatly bowel cancer runs in my maternal family side, grandma, her brothers, great grandfather and no idea how many further back than that all had bowel cancer. Luckily in Scotland we start screening at 50 but also stops automatically screening here at 74 , I, if i'm lucky enough to avoid it will still be worried at that age that I will still get it so I for one will be calling up for my kit once i hit that age.
It does kinda feel like they are saying ah well at 74 is not worth us checking and catching it early - thats wrong!
Thanks Tom for highlighting this. My mother died of bowel cancer aged 47 so too early even for the screening tests in Scotland.

I am surprised they stop at 74 - maybe because I am getting older but that doesn’t seem that old nowadays.
Pumpkin Pie is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Link to this Post
Deggs
Very Serious Dibber

Mobile

My mum calls it Painting by Numbers 🤢
Deggs is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Sep 19, 06:11 PM  
Link to this Post
disney332
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Mr Tom Morrow View Post
Please tell me you didn't complete it together.

Being serious it can be a bit awkward but practice makes perfect.
She provided the props, and i produced the plops :

Nuff said..., all joking apart this is a serious test and one all those who qualify should embrace.

High risk individuals based upon family history should start younger and need to see their GP for this

Caught early, like most cancers, it is totally curable.

Disney332