Notices
Additional Support Needs & DAS Help & advice

Closed Thread

Old 26 Feb 13, 10:00 AM  
Link to this Post

Special Assistance MCO Help

Morning

Just a quick question hope someone can help, I've already spoken to Virgin Special Assistance so all sorted for the plane but was just wondering what help there is once we've landed at MCO.

We've flown into MCO lots of times before but not since in DS3 was diagnosed. At Manchester we can get priority boarding but what happens when we land on the other side? I've heard there is a seperate lane for imigration, how does that work ?and how do they know who can use it? My sons disability is not visable.

Just getting a bit stressed

Thanks
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Feb 13, 04:01 PM  
Link to this Post

We haven't been to mco, only Sanford, but I should imagine they are pretty similar. We waited for a wheelchair to be bought to the plane door so were the last ones left on the plane, but we were taken straight to the front of one of the lines by a porter, he asked us if we'd be ok getting from immigration or did we want him to wait, but we were fine. Being as mco is much bigger maybe the porter will stay with you to assist you further!
Old 26 Feb 13, 04:14 PM  
Link to this Post
Amy1989
Imagineer

When we last went they brought my sons wheelchair to the door and we pushed it
Amy1989 is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Feb 13, 04:27 PM  
Link to this Post
Kim
Imagineer

If they see you with a wheelchair you are directed to the desk with a wheelchair displayed on it.

This was the longest queue ... The queues at the other desks were enpty.

Kim
Kim is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Feb 13, 04:29 PM  
Link to this Post
sunraydb
Apprentice Imagineer

sunraydb's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 11
When we went last July, they brought DW wheelchair to the gate (we were last off) and she wheeled herself to the immigration hall.

We were directed to the right hand side of the hall with the other wheelchair users and straight passed everyone else that were queuing to the left in the normal line.

POFQ May 2023 - POFQ Sept 2018 - Highgate Park May 2014 & Aug 2012 - Oak Island Cove Aug 2011 - Glenbrook Aug 2010 - Highgate Park May 2010 - Cane Island May 2009 - Cane Island May 2008 - Highgate Park May 2007 - Comfort Inn LBV May 2007 - Glenbrook May 2005
sunraydb is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Feb 13, 05:48 PM  
Link to this Post

What sort of assistance do you need? When you say your son's disability is not visible does this mean he doesn't need a wheelchair? Virgin should be the ones to arrange assistance. You can ask for a Skycap to help with luggage. Our DS is a wheelchair user and that was all the assistance we had. There is a separate line at immigration for wheelchair users, I'm not sure if anyone else is able to use it. It's the same line used by US citizens so may or may not be busier than others depending on which flights have landed around the same time. We are always last off the aircraft as we need to wait for DS's wheelchair to be brought up and the line from our flight has usually gone by the time we go through.

Edited at 05:51 PM.
Old 26 Feb 13, 06:01 PM  
Link to this Post

Don't know what the hidden disability is but if you have problems in crowded areas then you can go through in a quieter lane. HTH x
Old 26 Feb 13, 07:05 PM  
Link to this Post
WickedPlans
Imagineer

WickedPlans's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
They are not great it non visible disabilities. We were told that the only way to get assistance was to book a wheelchair.
Easter 2010, Florida Pines Villa - Avoiding Disasters, Lessons in Autism: Trip Report
Easter 2012, Sunset Lakes Villa - No Rest for the Wicked: Trip Report
WickedPlans is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Feb 13, 09:11 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by mcplod View Post
Don't know what the hidden disability is but if you have problems in crowded areas then you can go through in a quieter lane. HTH x
That's what we need, do you happen to know how or who do I need to speak to to arrange this?

Thank you
Old 26 Feb 13, 09:17 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by izzywoo View Post
That's what we need, do you happen to know how or who do I need to speak to to arrange this?

Thank you
Speak to a member of staff at immigration, explain your circumstances, they will be able to help you there, have a great trip, just re-read your opening post and you mention that you've flown in numerous times to MCO but not since your ds was diagnosed, did your ds cope ok on those other times because they only help if its medically going to cause problems.

Edited at 09:30 PM.
Closed Thread