Notices
ADR's, Dining, Food and Restaurants Anything and Everything to do with Eating.

Closed Thread

Old 6 Nov 15, 12:36 AM  
Link to this Post
DJBenz
Apprentice Imagineer

DJBenz's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Restaurant 'idiot card' suggesting 25% tip is customary

We went to the Texas Roadhouse a few nights ago for dinner as we'd enjoyed it so much in 2013. Food and atmosphere were as good as we remembered, but I was a little surprised when the bill came with an extra 'idiot card' (ie "you're British so you don't know how to tip" advice) suggesting that customary tipping is 18%, 20% and 25%

I'm sure other places have started adding these percentages in the mini guides that get printed on the bill "for your convenience", but I wonder how long it'll be before the 15-20% range becomes a thing of the past?
DJBenz is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Nov 15, 07:01 AM  
Link to this Post
Alien
Imagineer

I wish they just include it in the price! But if you rely on tips to support yourself and Europeans don't leave tip you can see why the card.
Alien is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Nov 15, 07:30 AM  
Link to this Post
blusteryday
Imagineer

blusteryday's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 2

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 12
Guidebook Photos: 8
EDIT: Including suggestions from other DIBBers

Whilst do I think the idiot cards are helpful, perhaps for first timers, I find it a little patronising to be given one of those cards at the end of a meal.

With tongue firmly placed in cheek, I'm thinking of reversing the process next time we're eating out, and making a few cards to give the server before we order. Something like this:

Before hitting that "Submit Post" button, re-read what you've typed and consider:
Is it true?
Is it kind?
Is it helpful?
Is it necessary?

Edited at 10:12 AM.
blusteryday is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Nov 15, 08:05 AM  
Link to this Post
dorsetmutley
Imagineer

Originally Posted by blusteryday View Post
Whilst do I think the idiot cards are helpful, perhaps for first timers, I find it a little patronising to be given one of those cards at the end of a meal.

With tongue firmly placed in cheek, I'm thinking of reversing the process next time we're eating out, and making a few cards to give the server before we order. Something like this:

Many restaurants that we frequent hear an English accent and immediately think: "Oh no, there goes my tip!"

To reassure you:

1. I may be British, but I do tip for good service
2. I'm quite good at maths and percentages
3. I won't ask for 'chips' when I really mean 'fries'

We're looking forward to a fabulous service at your establishment!

I might steal your idea
dorsetmutley is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Nov 15, 08:29 AM  
Link to this Post
curry1402
VIP Dibber

Many restaurants that we frequent hear an English accent and immediately think: "Oh no, there goes my tip!"

To reassure you:

I think that's a brilliant idea and could possibly be produced by the Dibb with the logo at the bottom

2005 Emerald Island Resort
2010 Regal Sun Resort
2013 Port Orleans Riverside & HRH
2014 Old Key West & RPR
2016 Old Key West & HRH
2018 Old Key West & RPR
curry1402 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Nov 15, 08:46 AM  
Link to this Post
WhereIBelong
Imagineer

Originally Posted by curry1402 View Post
I think that's a brilliant idea and could possibly be produced by the Dibb with the logo at the bottom
WhereIBelong is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Nov 15, 09:31 AM  
Link to this Post
ally1966
Imagineer

Mobile

To reassure you:

This made me smile!

We've never been given one of these cards but did notice when in New York this Summer how many restaurants have started adding suggested tip amounts to the bill. I actually found this quite useful as I'm not very good at working out percentages quickly!
Old 6 Nov 15, 10:13 AM  
Link to this Post
blusteryday
Imagineer

blusteryday's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 2

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 12
Guidebook Photos: 8
I've updated the post to include ideas from here, as well as a lot prettier Feel free to cut out and use

Before hitting that "Submit Post" button, re-read what you've typed and consider:
Is it true?
Is it kind?
Is it helpful?
Is it necessary?
blusteryday is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Nov 15, 10:54 AM  
Link to this Post
Vanillapod
Imagineer

I have noticed the calculations at the bottom too but they seem to be after tax and I was under the impression that the tip was to be calculated on the pre tax amount?
Can anyone clarify?
We just leave 20% of the total but I had wondered if that was correct or not?

Our 2015 Food Trip Report http://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=891973
Vanillapod is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Nov 15, 11:19 AM  
Link to this Post
sunraydb
Apprentice Imagineer

sunraydb's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 11
That's a brilliant idea Rob.

POFQ May 2023 - POFQ Sept 2018 - Highgate Park May 2014 & Aug 2012 - Oak Island Cove Aug 2011 - Glenbrook Aug 2010 - Highgate Park May 2010 - Cane Island May 2009 - Cane Island May 2008 - Highgate Park May 2007 - Comfort Inn LBV May 2007 - Glenbrook May 2005

Edited at 11:32 AM.
sunraydb is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Closed Thread