Notices
Food, Wine, Cooking & Eating Discussion on all things food related. Sharing recipes and giving tips and tricks to great food.

Old 22 Oct 19, 09:55 PM  
Link to this Post
EssexSue
VIP Dibber

I seem to manage to cook reasonable food, tonight we have had chicken curry made with Goldfish Chinese curry paste. It's blooming lovely. Tomorrow is chicken casserole, yesterday was shepherd's pie made with left over meat from Sundays roast lamb.
It isn't difficult to cook, one thing I would recommend is a good selection of spices and chuck then into almost everything. Especially smoked paprika. Oh and I use infused oils too, I have chili, white truffle, garlic and sesame. These enable you to ensure things are always a little different.
EssexSue is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Oct 19, 10:15 PM  
Link to this Post
Gryff
Imagineer

I love to cook at my happiest when I’m cooking for the tribe ie sons and families
I do batch cook and send things like soup lasagne ,fish pie ,meatballs ,
Meat loaf cottage pie home with them for the freezer
None of mine will eat any kind of ready meal ,frozen chips ,Yorkshire pudding ,etc
Only accepted frozen is peas ,sweet corn ,peppers for stir fry stews etc
And ice cream
Tonight we had vegetarian lasagne salad and Red lobster biscuits that
Had Parmesan rather than cheddar added second Meat lasagne made
Same tomatoe sauce base mince added and chilli both meat and vegetable one for the freezer it took no longer than making just one meal
My get out phrases cooking isn’t an exact science if it takes less/ more time than I’ve said it be ready
Does anybody fancy cooking No well it’s a scrappy tea ie bacon sausage scrambled egg beans toast orbacked potatoes with filling maybe tuna mayo ,cheese and beans ,sweet chilli chicken if I’ve got left over chicken Homemade soup that’s been in the freezer with sourdough bread I’ve always got that I make it and I make up and freeze apple / fruit crumbles
My lot are not at all fussy I make one meal take it or leave it always has been
Gryff is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Oct 19, 11:08 PM  
Link to this Post
vampiress88
Imagineer

Mobile

I wish mine would take it or leave it. The kids just say dinner is rubbish but that’s cos I’ve cooked it. Tell them it’s someone else and they would say it’s great.

My problem is my hubby. He is so annoying,awkward and fussy with dinners. I will write out each week what we are having. Two hours before it’s due on the table “I don’t fancy that” to which I will usually reel off another thing or two and he probably won’t wNt that either but can’t tell me what he wants. He’s really made me cross with it tonight.
He seems to think that all my dinners should be fantastic and that just doesn’t happen.
I tried an American recipe for bourbon chicken and no one liked that either.
Something that was acceptable last week is not ok this week. We can’t have the same dinner over and over again.
Even when I cook the chips in the activity, I do it the exact same way every time but occasionally they don’t come out nice.
Chilli, bolognese, tagalitelle, chips (usually) curry’s. These are all from scratch
The freezer stuff tends to be pies, they were little Birdseye ones, fish in batter, chicken nuggets for kids (sometimes have to feed them long time before ours) and peas and sweet corn.

It’s not like I don’t try but it doesn’t alway seem to work out. Wish people would be grateful it’s on the table for them and they aren’t having to do it themselves. I don’t even mind that cooking is my job to do as I work less. I really do mind that people are ungrateful I suppose.
vampiress88 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Oct 19, 11:15 PM  
Link to this Post
Gryff
Imagineer

Sorry but maybe the fact we’ve been married nearly 37 years if DH said 2 hours before I don’t fancy that it be well you make it and we are not having take out
Yes I confess for years when I worked full time I used my mother’s trick table set and pots on the cooker oh diner will be in what ever time do you want to get a shower / walk the dogs / do the kids homework 37 years later it’s I’m starving oh you’ve time to go on the tread mill take the dogs out etc he’s never sussed it yet
The other one I use as he does all the ironing you’ve time to iron your Gym gear TKD suits and if you could iron this for me that be great

Edited at 11:17 PM.
Gryff is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Oct 19, 11:20 PM  
Link to this Post
Loobylou_82
Imagineer

I do cook from scratch most of the time. Don't do takeaways much as I would prefer to eat in restaurant.
But after 41 yrs of marriage I am fed up of it. Trying to find something different to make. Not only that it's an ongoing job for the rest of my life. I can't retire from it. It's like cleaning and washing and ironing, it's a job for life. I suppose it's a labour of love. DH does some cooking at weekends and he is pretty good at it. He says he finds it relaxing.

Edited at 11:27 PM.
Loobylou_82 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Oct 19, 06:55 AM  
Link to this Post

Been with DH for fifteen years, I have never washed or ironed anything of his, we do our own laundry.

We both like cooking and share it, we would never complain about each other’s food. Well sometimes I tell him if he didn’t season or spice something enough but that is coaching not complaining. .

I think that it was unlikely a frozen pie would be ready in thirty minutes or take the same amount of time as chips, however OP, I would not put up with this constant morning if it gets you down. If my DH announced he didn’t want something that evening, I think that is fine, but I would tell him he needs to come up with the alternative.

Last night I did a home made mac and cheese, which we had with chicken. I will have the leftover mac for lunch today. Yum. Tonight we will be doing a Simplycook dish, maybe that is worth giving a go. The recipes are very easy, very tasty and you can stop and start the subscription at will.

Www.simplycook
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Oct 19, 07:14 AM  
Link to this Post
Picalily
Imagineer

Picalily's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Wow, how refreshing to read that not everyone likes cooking! I absolutely HATE it and it spoils a lovely day having to cook every evening. I am the only one who makes the meals in our house so never get a day off, I would rather clean the toilet than cook a meal.
Picalily is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Oct 19, 07:55 AM  
Link to this Post
lou2972
Excited about Disney

Originally Posted by vampiress88 View Post
I wish mine would take it or leave it. The kids just say dinner is rubbish but that’s cos I’ve cooked it. Tell them it’s someone else and they would say it’s great.

My problem is my hubby. He is so annoying,awkward and fussy with dinners. I will write out each week what we are having. Two hours before it’s due on the table “I don’t fancy that” to which I will usually reel off another thing or two and he probably won’t wNt that either but can’t tell me what he wants. He’s really made me cross with it tonight.
He seems to think that all my dinners should be fantastic and that just doesn’t happen.
Something that was acceptable last week is not ok this week. We can’t have the same dinner over and over again.
Even when I cook the chips in the activity, I do it the exact same way every time but occasionally they don’t come out nice.
Chilli, bolognese, tagalitelle, chips (usually) curry’s. These are all from scratch
The freezer stuff tends to be pies, they were little Birdseye ones, fish in batter, chicken nuggets for kids (sometimes have to feed them long time before ours) and peas and sweet corn.

It’s not like I don’t try but it doesn’t alway seem to work out. Wish people would be grateful it’s on the table for them and they aren’t having to do it themselves. I don’t even mind that cooking is my job to do as I work less. I really do mind that people are ungrateful I suppose.

Sounds like you’ve got a husband/kids problem not a cooking one !
How incredibly disrespectful after you have made them dinner to say things like that.
Why don’t your family cook,or at the very least help you to make dinner .

My lot would be waiting a VERY long time for another meal from me if they ever said anything like that.in fact none of us would dream of talking to each other like that.

Edited at 07:58 AM.
lou2972 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Oct 19, 08:04 AM  
Link to this Post
Lindaelaine
Imagineer

Originally Posted by vampiress88 View Post

I think you need to sort your family out before worrying about what to cook, I would be making sandwiches, nothing else, telling them that if they want a decent cooked meal then they can do it themselves seeing as yours are not good enough for them, see how they feel about that .
Aug 2018...Westridge. Aug 2019... Miami & Solterra Resort
Lindaelaine is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Oct 19, 08:11 AM  
Link to this Post
Hopefulholiday
Very Serious Dibber

Hopefulholiday's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
OP I feel for you as I often feel the same, I love eating but the thinking about what to make is painful and then the faces on my kids sometimes makes me cross. DH however never complains and eats whatever I give him even if it isn’t great! He gets really cross at the kids and says it’s disrespectful if they moan given I have taken the time to cook for them.
We tend to have the same dishes over and over because I know they will get eaten and if one day it’s not great then tough, the more complaining someone does the more cleaning up they get to do 😁
June/July 2019: New York, Riu Plaza & Orlando, villa Sunset Lakes, HRH
Hopefulholiday is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List