Notices
Car Hire & Transportation Discuss the best way of getting around Florida.

Old 10 Jan 20, 09:25 AM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by chmurf View Post
to be perfectly honest, I too had trouble describing it correctly in words (for those who don't know, I'm not a native English speaker, so that doesn't help to get points across )

so I googled ... "school bus passing" where the key words, and found that illustration

so if you need to give credits, it won't go towards me, and I can't even tell you where to direct that too, as I just copy/pasted from google image.
Your English is a thousand times better than my French
Old 10 Jan 20, 09:30 AM  
Link to this Post
chmurf
Imagineer

Originally Posted by mick View Post
Your English is a thousand times better than my French
merci Mick, c'est gentil

anyway, I've found it wwmt/news/i-team/i-team-...es-on-the-rise
chmurf is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Jan 20, 09:33 AM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Originally Posted by IndianaMac View Post
Expect to be tailgated - don't worry about it, it'll never stop, you have no control over it, it's normal.
I must have driven the short length of Florence Villa Grove Road between US27 and Westside Bvd a thousand times over the years.

The posted speed limit is 30mph and I stick to it but without fail a local will drive to within 5' of my tail and stick there until the school four way. I then turn left into the 40mph Westside where my new found friend has ample opportunity to overtake but then they drop back.

On a side note to regular users of Westside - good to see the new four way signs at the junction with Funie Steed Road. That was an awful junction in the dark turning left onto WB from FSR.

Also the end of FSR adjoining Entry Point was a serious big hole n the ground last month.

Mick

Edited at 09:40 AM.
mick is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Jan 20, 09:38 AM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Originally Posted by chmurf View Post
merci Mick, c'est gentil

anyway, I've found it wwmt/news/i-team/i-team-...es-on-the-rise
Thanks but I still can't copy and paste the graphic from that web site or your post.

Hopefully my description will suffice. To be on the safe side "Don't pass a yellow school bus unless it's doing 50 mph on the Interstate"

That should cover most eventualities.

Mick
Old 10 Jan 20, 10:37 AM  
Link to this Post
dpmcalister
Apprentice Imagineer

dpmcalister's Reviews

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 1
Guidebook Reviews: 1
I've added that image for you - had to convert it to a different format (JPG) first
Old 10 Jan 20, 10:47 AM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Originally Posted by dpmcalister View Post
I've added that image for you - had to convert it to a different format (JPG) first
Many thanks for that.

I tried to screen shot it (as I do regularly of toll plazas ) but I saw it saved as a .png and then I gave up as I had no idea how to save as a .jpg

I have the school bus decision to make regularly driving along Legacy Park Bvd. Some of it is divided by a planted median but some isn't. If in doubt I stop.

Mick

Edited at 10:49 AM.
mick is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Jan 20, 02:31 PM  
Link to this Post
dpmcalister
Apprentice Imagineer

dpmcalister's Reviews

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 1
Guidebook Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by mick View Post
Many thanks for that.

I tried to screen shot it (as I do regularly of toll plazas ) but I saw it saved as a .png and then I gave up as I had no idea how to save as a .jpg

I have the school bus decision to make regularly driving along Legacy Park Bvd. Some of it is divided by a planted median but some isn't. If in doubt I stop.

Mick
I work on websites a lot and have some graphics software that easily converts files so it only took a couple of seconds. Happy to be able to add something the community (other than buy a VIP pass). I only tend to regularly visit when I'm planning US holidays but it is always helpful.
Old 10 Jan 20, 02:42 PM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Originally Posted by dpmcalister View Post
I work on websites a lot and have some graphics software that easily converts files so it only took a couple of seconds. Happy to be able to add something the community (other than buy a VIP pass). I only tend to regularly visit when I'm planning US holidays but it is always helpful.
Your help is appreciated. I'm sure that a lot of newcomers to the DIBB are unaware of the vast source of knowledge that's available across all the Guidebooks.

Mick
Old 11 Jan 20, 03:48 PM  
Link to this Post
Lydsabug
Relaxing at the Grand Floridian

Ive been driving in the UK for near on 35 years now and haven't been brave enough in Florida, think the DH doesn't like the idea of being helpless in the passenger seat!

He does it all and says its very easy over there, just remembering that the road that runs across the one you are on has its name facing you. Also unless it says otherwise, you can turn right when the light is on red
Lydsabug is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Jan 20, 03:59 PM  
Link to this Post
chmurf
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Lydsabug View Post
Also unless it says otherwise, you can turn right when the light is on red
Pedestrians have right of way, so you must yield to them (pedestrians always have right of way on a crosswalk, that's a state law) Stopping for pedestrians is mandatory

you should also yield to any crossing traffic.

Basically, a red light, when you turn right, is equal to a STOP sign (unless there is a "no turn on red" sign
STOP sign and not yield, because you need to bring the car to full stopped position before turning. Some right turns will be camera enforced, and if you don't mark the stop, you basically have ran the red light even though it was authorised to right turn on red at that intersection
chmurf is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List