Notices
Car Hire & Transportation Discuss the best way of getting around Florida.

Old 6 Feb 21, 09:03 PM  
Link to this Post
Merryweather17
Apprentice Imagineer

Alamo prices for December - ouch!

After finally taking the plunge and rebooking for December I have been looking at car hire prices. We often use Alamo as they don't charge a fee for dropping off in a different location. However this time the prices are really high 400+ for 6 days for a small car. Do you think these prices are likely to come down or is this the new normal? I know there is a long time between now and December but I am a bit worried as I didn't budget for this much more just for moving our booking a few months.
Merryweather17 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Feb 21, 09:18 PM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
Prices are all over the place and the old motto of book early book often still stands good.

I would be booking with a few companies that offer free cancellations up to 48 hours before travel and monitor them regularly. I have bookings for May, Aug and Oct but not just with one company. I change them all the time.

Finally show loyalty to nobody and look for the bottom line as prices will drop.

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976
Mr Tom Morrow is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Feb 21, 09:36 PM  
Link to this Post
Merryweather17
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by Mr Tom Morrow View Post
Prices are all over the place and the old motto of book early book often still stands good.

I would be booking with a few companies that offer free cancellations up to 48 hours before travel and monitor them regularly. I have bookings for May, Aug and Oct but not just with one company. I change them all the time.

Finally show loyalty to nobody and look for the bottom line as prices will drop.
Thanks, do you find there is a particular time when prices are cheapest, or is it just worth browsing every so often? I was just wondering if they have 'sale' times a bit like the airlines?
Merryweather17 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Feb 21, 10:50 PM  
Link to this Post
DFCH-Andy
DIBB Advertiser
- DIBB Advertiser -

If you want to post / message /email me your dates, I'll check the offline prices for you... They can be considerably cheaper that whats showing online (depending on the dates)... Just as an example, 21st Dec for 2 weeks with Alamo, the online price is £805, the offline price is £506 , although there is Thrifty coming back at £420 and Avis at £440.

www.discountfloridacarhire.co.uk
DFCH-Andy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Feb 21, 11:00 PM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Originally Posted by Merryweather17 View Post
Thanks, do you find there is a particular time when prices are cheapest, or is it just worth browsing every so often? I was just wondering if they have 'sale' times a bit like the airlines?
Auto Europe does 20% discounts sometimes. Best to sign up to their E Mails so you get notifications.
I tend to book as soon as my dates are available and then just keep checking. It’s quite a chore checking all the sites but by doing so you save hundreds.
Best of luck.

Mr Tom Morrow is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Feb 21, 09:01 AM  
Link to this Post
Merryweather17
Apprentice Imagineer

Which sites do you recommend? I was thinking AE and alamo directly, others do not seem to cover the locations we want to pick up or drop off to.
Old 7 Feb 21, 10:18 AM  
Link to this Post
cope29
Excited about Disney

Sorry to jump in on this conversation, we have a booking on your website for September this year. Not sure what you mean by cheaper offline prices. If its what i think would mine be cheaper aswell ?

Thanks John
cope29 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Feb 21, 10:26 AM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Originally Posted by Merryweather17 View Post
Which sites do you recommend? I was thinking AE and alamo directly, others do not seem to cover the locations we want to pick up or drop off to.
With regards to locations bear in mind they are currently limited due to Covid closures but that wont last for ever. Sometimes it takes a while on their drop down menus to find they actually do the location you want but it's under a different name.

I have a whole host of sites I use and also have hired from namely:-
Andy on here
Netflights
Virgin Atlantic stand alone hire
Rentalcars.com
uscarhire and usrentacar
British Airways stand alone hire
Alamo Brits
Hertz via the UK website but using an Amex code for a big reduction.
Costco UK

Happy hunting.

Old 7 Feb 21, 11:57 AM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

Good advice above.

Just watch that Virgin stand alone hire now. I used them a lot before but am now wary. I had fully cancellable car hire and tried to cancel but they failed to action or refund my money and had to do a charge back. Given they would not even have paid the car hire company, it was really, really bad service.

Hopefully like the flights they have improved, but I won’t risk them again until I see positive reports.

Best service is undoubtedly Andy on here (Discount Florida Car Hire). I was very impressed with my aborted Christmas trip.
Old 7 Feb 21, 11:59 AM  
Link to this Post
DFCH-Andy
DIBB Advertiser
- DIBB Advertiser -

Originally Posted by cope29 View Post
Sorry to jump in on this conversation, we have a booking on your website for September this year. Not sure what you mean by cheaper offline prices. If its what i think would mine be cheaper aswell ?

Thanks John
Hi John
I've replied to you pm.

www.discountfloridacarhire.co.uk

Edited at 12:01 PM.
DFCH-Andy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List