Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 23 Mar 21, 10:28 AM  
Link to this Post
stockport1965
Apprentice Imagineer

Acupuncturist

I have been having low back pain for nearly a year now. I have had numerous tests done (bloods, ultrasounds, x rays and MRI). Apart from osteoporosis (which shouldn't cause pain) and an annular bulge on L4 L5, nothing else can be found. X ray just showed mild degeneration for my age.

I do pilates, aerobics, walking, and weight bearing exercises but nothing helps.

Has anyone seen an acupuncturist for back pain and does it work?
stockport1965 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Mar 21, 12:13 PM  
Link to this Post
pinkbelle
Imagineer

I suffered a bad whiplash, physio taping etc bought little relief, my (NHS) physiotherapist had just done a course in acupuncture and asked if I wanted to try it. It worked for me.

My DH developed some back pain last year, due to working at home with less movement etc. I bough him a Bed of Nails for Christmas, I think he thought I was mad when He opened it. But it really is now part of his daily routine, he even asked for the pillow for his birthday last week.

I’ve ordered a “fake” longer mat with magnets from Amazon for my brothers birthday at DHs suggestion.
pinkbelle is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Mar 21, 12:18 PM  
Link to this Post
megaflyer
Imagineer

I haven’t had it for back pain ( luckily I have never suffered for that ) but when I had Lymes disease I had it for that (general muscle aches etc and tiredness) and it was wonderful - after the first session I felt amazing so give it a try ? Finding a good one may be the issue as mine cant practice at the moment due to covid (but I have heard some are doing it under the radar but I wont touch them ) - good ones get booked up. I want to go back to mine for anxiety issues - he has a magic touch
megaflyer is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Mar 21, 01:42 PM  
Link to this Post
Pumpkin Pie
Imagineer

I was in agony with back pain (years ago now) and nothing was working for me. Painkillers were no help and it had gone on for weeks and weeks and I could barely walk and could not work. The doctor decided to send me to a private physiotherapist (had already been to an NHS one who was worse than useless) and at the same time my doctor started acupuncture sessions with me because he was a qualified acupuncturist. It was only then I started to get better - I could feel improvement almost immediately.

I don’t know if it was a combination of both (I know the massages I got from physio helped) or just the acupuncture sessions but it worked. I would certainly try it again if needed.

What about swimming as an exercise (when it’s all back to normal).

Edited at 01:47 PM.
Pumpkin Pie is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Mar 21, 01:51 PM  
Link to this Post
megaflyer
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Pumpkin Pie View Post
During lockdown I started yoga stretching exercises and that definitely helps with stiffness, aches and pains. Maybe long term that’s something you might want to investigate.
Yes yoga will definitive help . I know a great yogi if you want his details . He works with over 50’s many with mobility issues . Has online videos unto to 1:1 zoom depending on needs and budget (but he is not expensive) - works great for my anxiety too and general flexibility- a few ones again I never thought I would be able to touch my toes but hey presto thanks to turneryoga.teachable/p/ct-private-yoga I can
megaflyer is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Mar 21, 01:57 PM  
Link to this Post
Pumpkin Pie
Imagineer

Originally Posted by megaflyer View Post
Yes yoga will definitive help . I know a great yogi if you want his details . He works with over 50’s many with mobility issues . Has online videos unto to 1:1 zoom depending on needs and budget (but he is not expensive) - works great for my anxiety too and general flexibility- a few ones again I never thought I would be able to touch my toes but hey presto thanks to turneryoga.teachable/p/ct-private-yoga I can
Thanks Megaflyer - I will have a look as I am an old fogey!

I edited and deleted the yoga part as I noticed the OP already said she does Pilates after I posted.
Pumpkin Pie is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Mar 21, 02:04 PM  
Link to this Post
stockport1965
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by megaflyer View Post
I have to be very careful with osteoporosis
stockport1965 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Mar 21, 02:05 PM  
Link to this Post
megaflyer
Imagineer

Originally Posted by stockport1965 View Post
I have to be very careful with osteoporosis
Yes be very careful and I hope you fond something to give you relief soon . Take care of you

Edited at 08:19 PM. Reason: Typos
Old 23 Mar 21, 04:07 PM  
Link to this Post
Taffy1959
VIP Dibber

Taffy1959's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
I had acupuncture to help with the pain in my knee after tearing my cartilage it made a big difference and I was able to carry on working until I had my operation
Old 23 Mar 21, 04:17 PM  
Link to this Post
MinniMouse
VIP Dibber

MinniMouse's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Yes, I have. I occasionally see a Osteopath who also practices acupuncture. My back is "glitchy" and when it goes I have to use a stick to lean on to help support my weight. He uses a mixture of manipulation and needles. He used the needles first, and usually puts something on the ends, lights them and leaves me for about half an hour. He will then finish off with some manipulation which I hate, but needs must. The guy I go to is very good.
MinniMouse is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List